Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What would you say the Oxford interview process is like (in particular geography) - I know they will ask about your PS but do they ask you academic questions i.e. just spring a question on you about any topic? Or is it more personality/passion based?
    I know it varies from tutor to tutor, but just your experiences?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackmillie)
    What would you say the Oxford interview process is like (in particular geography) - I know they will ask about your PS but do they ask you academic questions i.e. just spring a question on you about any topic? Or is it more personality/passion based?
    I know it varies from tutor to tutor, but just your experiences?
    Thanks
    You know wrong...

Plenty of tutors will never even mention your PS. Oxford interviews aren't the mock little "interviews" that places like York or Durham or Bristol will offer to make you come to the open days only to say "actually we're giving you all offers anyway". They're a genuine test of your academic potential on which your place is determined. So while they're not going to just pull a factual question out of the air (the idea is to see how you think, not what you know, so questions are more likely to be 'consider this...' or based on data or an article) the whole point of the interview is to ask you academic questions for half an hour.

ReputationRep:
    I had four interviews while I was there, and I can honestly say that all four were different. For MFL, there is a text that you look at and they ask you to talk about it, and I know that for English/History/Law that it is the same. Maybe there is something similar for Geography, but I am sure that you could find that out. My PS was mentioned a little, and in some they just asked me what I wanted to talk about. In one of my spanish interviews, we talked about Shakespeare - I always thought that they want to discover how you think, not what you know. Therefore they try and introduce you to things you haven't seen before (like the text/source) and see how you react. Personally, I was not asked anything non-academic.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to both of you.
    That was very helpful.
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Mine were kind of bog standard what they tell you to expect interviews. In my history one we just discussed the essay I'd sent in for twenty minutes or so. One tutor asked all the questions whilst the other took notes. In my politics interview they took turns in asking questions (in a sort of half the interview each way, rather than a question about kind of thing). Both the issues discussed there were things I'd brought up in my personal statement.

Both of them were enjoyable too and when I was told the time was up I was a bit disappointed it was over already.

ReputationRep:
    For my two interviews, I was only asked one non-academic question ("Why do you want to study politics?" ), but most people didn't even get that. From what I hear, most of the time you get an article/text/graphs/etc and you have to talk about it, show them how you think. Some people from Earth Science who were there at the same time as us PPEists even got a rock and were told to determine what kind of rock it was. I'd imagine for Geography you might get something like that, or pictures of areas or maps and you have to talk about them geographically.

ReputationRep:
    I had three interviews for history, 1 about the essay I had sent in, so that was about a topic I had studiied, we just kind of whent into more depth about it to make me think, the other, at a different college was similar exept about about a different topic I had studied, and then the third at the original college was half spent discussing a text that you were given 30 mins before the interview and half about my PS! But you cant really know what to expect, because the same tutors in the same college talked about completely different thinks with other people! As long as you know your subject well enough, and can think off the top of your head than you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    I applied for PPE and I had two interviews which required 0 own knowledge (no PS questions or anything!) but, like a previous post said, my friend got asked "tell me about this rock" at her geography interview.

Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.