Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Right, so Clooney's Hope for Haiti Concert / Telethon was last night and all the major film actors and rock stars had something to do with it. They put in a lot of time and effort to raise funds for Haiti.

Maybe it's just me, but I felt a bit angry when I saw what this initiative had achieved.

Why did they have to wait until an earthquake killed thousands before thinking to help out?? Haiti has been one of the poorest countries in the World for decades (centuries!) and even if an earthquake hadn't struck, they needed this kind of help to overcome their structural issues.

How about a Hope for insert-name-of-an-impoverished-country-here Now Concert, just for the sake of it?!

It has a net benefit providing the money is spent properly. I tend to naturally be annoyed by celebraty campaigns, especially ones where so much free publicity is available...but I guess overall it is a good thing.

I think its sick.

Why can't these celebrities just donate to Haiti themselves instead of making a huge fuss with these concerts?
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.