relationship
    43.28%
    single
    31.34%
    don't mind
    25.37%

ReputationRep:
    ok maybe the title doesn';t get the point across exactly right,

but i was chatting with a friend earlier and talking about this stuff. and i think that some people definately have a relationship status that they drift to or really prefer.

like i hate being single, for me life just loses all purpose unless i'm in a relationship, and i love the whole commitment, getting to know someone deeply stuff etc. so i'd say that my default is to be in a relationship.

whereas they hate being in relationships, just find them suffocating, cant open up to people, and would always choose to be single. as they're just never really happy in a relationship

so i was wondering what preference you all have. or whether you're happy either way

ReputationRep:
    Mostly happy either way, but I guess I lean more towards relationships.

ReputationRep:
    I voted don't mind, because I really don't. It's nice to be in a relationship, it's nice to be single. Both have good and bad points but both are just as attractive. I've never been one of those people that break up with someone then look for their next boyfriend straight away and always seem to be in a relationship. It seems a bit odd to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    I voted don't mind, because I really don't. It's nice to be in a relationship, it's nice to be single. Both have good and bad points but both are just as attractive. I've never been one of those people that break up with someone then look for their next boyfriend straight away and always seem to be in a relationship. It seems a bit odd to me.
    oh i'm not like jump out of a relationship, jump into another one as i generally take ages to get over my ex's.

but as soon as i'm over them, i'll be out there looking to get into a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    oh i'm not like jump out of a relationship, jump into another one as i generally take ages to get over my ex's.

but as soon as i'm over them, i'll be out there looking to get into a relationship.
    I wasn't particularly aiming it at you Just in general from what I've seen other people do that's all.

ReputationRep:
    I like being single... I like to devote my spare time to doing what I want to do.
    However, the ideal situation is being single with either a sex buddy, or some similar situation. Someone you do care about and are attracted to...but don't necessarily want to be in an actual relationship with. Ideally...be the other woman.
    You will all attack me for saying it, but that's probably my ideal situation.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know a few people who aren't good without being in a relationship.

Myself, I prefer being single - but I don't know whether that's because it's what I've gotten use to (I've been single more often than I've been in a relationship) or whether it's because I actually prefer it. My last relationship ended because I felt too suffocated... But that could've just been the guy :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to be single. I just couldn't stand the level of commitment you have to give and to me it seems like a waste of time. I know a lot of people who seem very happy in their relationship but I don't think it would work for me. At the moment I can't imagine ever wanting to be in a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really bad at relationships, i always get claustrophobic in them at about 6 months in. Whenever i'm single i like the concept of being in a relationship but then in reality, when i'm in one, i don't!

ReputationRep:
    I like both really. When you're in a really close, stable relationship it's great As is being single, when you can focus all your energies on things YOU like doing.

The worst bit is being in a relationship where you just dont seem to gel (my last one, for sure) because then everything to do with them is a drag :p:

ReputationRep:
    I voted single; these days whenever I think of going out with a girl whom I like or find attractive, it leads me to thinking of the inevitable break up, and the added spanner thrown in the works if you have mutual friends.

I guess that's just my experiences making a mark on me though. I don't speak to any of my exes and I doubt I ever will again, so to me relationships just encompass a couple months of that 'loved up' feeling followed by losing someone who was once close to you, for good. It just seems like you're making a huge loss putting in more, than you'll get out.

/emo :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be in a relationship but I don't really mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    I like being single... I like to devote my spare time to doing what I want to do.
    However, the ideal situation is being single with either a sex buddy, or some similar situation. Someone you do care about and are attracted to...but don't necessarily want to be in an actual relationship with. Ideally...be the other woman.
    You will all attack me for saying it, but that's probably my ideal situation.
    sweet- so you wanna use me for sex huh?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not bothered. I'm in a 2 1/2 year relationship at the moment, but it never bothered me being single! I love both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Shazam! i agree. Cept for the boyfriend part of course. Tch! No gayness on me!

Or is there? Muwahahahaha!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I don't really know - I've been in a relationship for the past 8 and a half years. I can't remember what being single is like lol.

I've never experienced being single as an adult - the last time I was single (for a brief time) I was still living with my mother, so I still didn't have the kind of freedom a single adult living away from their parents would have.

I'm happy being married though.

ReputationRep:
    I would say I'm indifferent, as I'm still young and any relationship now has a low probability of working for the future is sure to be full of changes anyway. But overall, I guess I would still prefer relationship for it gives a sense of security and stability (a good relationship that is), and there's always a chance it will last.

I think people who feel a desperate need to be in relationships a bit... strange though. I have a close friend who feels that way, and I know that's a huge part of why she's not breaking up with her boyfriend - even though she's deeply unhappy, she hates more the idea of being single. I just think people like that needs to toughen up.

ReputationRep:
    Relationship I'm in at the moment isn't massively high maintinence so I love being in it, it's not overbearing or anything, and it's been ~1 1/2 years. Before this one I was single for a while and absolutely hated it, but right now I think were I to become single at any point in the near-ish future I would be okay, although obviously getting over the breakup would be pretty ****

So on that basis, "don't mind", there are pros and cons to each side of it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I've been in a relationship for almost 3 years and i think it's definitely the best thing that ever happened to me. I don't like to be the single, slutty girl at the club who is always looking for attention. I love being committed and I actually really enjoy playing "wifey" to my boyfriend. haha.

ReputationRep:
    I am always up for a relationship, like i have trouble opening up as i have been hurt so much. But i agree with the OP... without a relationship, life really does seem pointless, and I really just love being close to someone emotionally, physically and spiritually

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.