Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello !
    I'm a french student, and I could spend a year, as a gap year, in the University of Liverpool. Could you tell me if it's good university, compare to Warwick for instance, if the University is weel situated from the town center ? Do you find the student life exceptional aroud there ?
    Please excuse my english not perfect.
    Have a good sunday !
    François

ReputationRep:
    living in Liverpool would be like learning to understand English all over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    living in Liverpool would be like learning to understand English all over again.
    Not while studying at Liverpool uni though. The people here are mainly from down south. I would reccommend it: both the university and town centre are beautiful in their architecture; the people (Liverpudlians) are very friendly; and the uni in my experience is great to study at. It's far more lively than Warwick though so if you'd prefer somewhere quieter- and uglier- I'd reccommend there. Come to Liverpool :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by this charming girl)
    Not while studying at Liverpool uni though. The people here are mainly from down south. I would reccommend it: both the university and town centre are beautiful in their architecture; the people (Liverpudlians) are very friendly; and the uni in my experience is great to study at. It's far more lively than Warwick though so if you'd prefer somewhere quieter- and uglier- I'd reccommend there. Come to Liverpool :p:
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    Warwick, academically, is a better university. However, that does not mean that Liverpool is much inferior. It's a well respected university, constantly changing and its reputation is increasing by the year. It's a russell group and i'd say considered well above average by employers, perhaps in the top 20?

Culturally, parts of the city are beautiful (the docks etc...) and the university is very pretty around abercromby square (georgian buildings etc...). The people are friendly, and it's actually quite rare to come accros someone with a scouse accent within the uni vercinity. The uni is a 10 min walk from the town centre and a 2 min bus ride away. There's also plenty to do on campus too (gym, active student union etc....).

There are also a lot of international students here as well (it's to be expected being a russell group uni) and they all tend to live within the same accommodation so chances are you'll be living with people who speak French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all of you for your answers. I hope I will join you.
    If I come in this University, is it difficult to find a flat ? I should be an Erasmus student, are there some collocations for us ? I would love to be in the same flat with foreign students or with english students. So, if you have some advice to find where to live, I will be glad to hear it.
    As lol2003 said, it must be a lot of french students on the campus. Of course, I would try to know them but, my priority would be to integrate myself in our culture, your habits and your way to live. Do you have any suggestions to success in that way ?
    Have a nice sunday !
    François

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Necco)
    Thank you all of you for your answers. I hope I will join you.
    If I come in this University, is it difficult to find a flat ? I should be an Erasmus student, are there some collocations for us ? I would love to be in the same flat with foreign students or with english students. So, if you have some advice to find where to live, I will be glad to hear it.
    As lol2003 said, it must be a lot of french students on the campus. Of course, I would try to know them but, my priority would be to integrate myself in our culture, your habits and your way to live. Do you have any suggestions to success in that way ?
    Have a nice sunday !
    François
    Salut François!

I live in Liverpool and have attended the Uni for 2 years. I study French and Italian and have found the modern languages department to be one of the friendliest and most accommodating one at the Uni.

There are lots of places to live and there is a large group of international students who tend to live in the same place. The University would help you find somewhere to live, no problem! It's not as expensive as other cities yet very nice and comforting.

The city itself is amazing. I love it here! As others have said the culture, the night life, the architecture, the history... it all makes for an amazing city! I lived in Lyon, France, over the summer and it is a similar atmosphere in Liverpool. Very friendly and welcoming and I have always felt safe and secure here. I am from a little countryside town originally but now feel like Liverpool is my home.

It would be very easy to integrate with the English people and become part of the city. There is a funny saying that people become "adopted Scousers" ('Scouser' is the nickname for Liverpudlians/people from Liverpool!) The thick, Scouse accent can be difficult to understand but with such a high student population, you'll rarely hear this accent up at the University, down in the city centre, however, you'll get a real taste of a great English accent! There are lots of societies, clubs, bars that encourage mixing and friendship so you'll find it easy to make friends!
    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :yep:

Bonne Chance!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.