Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

bashed someones car - now they are being dicks! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I was around a friends house. Was asked to move my car so that the younger brother could get his out. Younger brother then moves the dads bmw. The kid parked it in a funny way and when reversing back I caught it slightly. No damage to mine. However there is a small dent on his car.

The father has since been acting like a muppet. I said I would get it fixed, got a bloke who lives on my street who says he will do it for £100. However this bloke wants it going through the bmw garage. This is going to cost me silly money. Apparently it will devalue the car if not through a dealer.

So here is the thing. Can I chose where to get it fixed? Given that his son isnt insured it will make it tough for him to force it though the insurance right?

ReputationRep:
    unless his son was in the car at the time behind the wheel, the car is insured. If you hit a stationary vehicle while manoeuvring, and damage it, the owner has every right to do it through insurance, and to have it repaired by an approved repairer via the insurance firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    unless his son was in the car at the time behind the wheel, the car is insured. If you hit a stationary vehicle while manoeuvring, and damage it, the owner has every right to do it through insurance, and to have it repaired by an approved repairer via the insurance firm.
    But I am offering to get the car back into the condition it was in before the accident. Why does he have the right to insist on a bmw garage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexyguy)
    But I am offering to get the car back into the condition it was in before the accident. Why does he have the right to insist on a bmw garage?
    You are offering to do it outside the insurance. If he chooses to claim on your insurance, he doesn't have to accept your offer, he can get peace of mind and an easier time. You are insured, aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    He has every right, your fault for denting the car tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    ALIE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Yep I know. However I am offering to put it back in the same condition as it was in before the accident. I don't get why he is being a prick. However I am not going to take having to pay £500 as apposed to £100. I think I shall just say that I will be informing that the accident was due to dodgy parking by uninsured son.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I know. However I am offering to put it back in the same condition as it was in before the accident. I don't get why he is being a prick. However I am not going to take having to pay £500 as apposed to £100. I think I shall just say that I will be informing that the accident was due to dodgy parking by uninsured son.
    In your profile photo... are you eating a biscuit in the shower?

ReputationRep:
    Just don't put it in the BMW garage.

ReputationRep:

Dodgy parking or not.. you still hit a stationary car. At the end of the day you damaged his car, he can have it fixed by the professionals he chooses to be happy with the quality of the job, and if you arent willing to pay for that then you will have to go through your insurance, as that is what its there for.

Id certainly "be a ****" if someone reversed into my car, and insist on getting it fixed properly to my satisfaction, even if it was more expensive.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    something similar happened to my dad and it's up to him to go through his insurance. because you dented his car when it was parked [it's irrelevant who parked it there.. and you can't prove the son parked it there anyway.] if he declines your offer of getting it done by this person you know then you can't argue really..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cRaig)
    Dodgy parking or not.. you still hit a stationary car. At the end of the day you damaged his car, he can have it fixed by the professionals he chooses to be happy with the quality of the job, and if you arent willing to pay for that then you will have to go through your insurance, as that is what its there for.

Id certainly "be a ****" if someone reversed into my car, and insist on getting it fixed properly to my satisfaction, even if it was more expensive.. :p:
    How does he know about the quality of the job? I am more than willing to get it fixed back to what it was and to his satisfaction. His justification for wanting the BMW garage to do it is that it will increase the car's value. I can't see that tbh.

And I do think it makes a difference in regards to insurance. I might be wrong, but I would be pretty nervous if I was claiming saying someone who was not insured had moved my car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by near_comatose)
    In your profile photo... are you eating a biscuit in the shower?
    Hahaha it does look like it! Looks rather like a whole chocolate digestive stuffed in..

ReputationRep:
    He's being a 'prick' because it's a hassle to get car repairs done outside of insurance. My mum spent about 4 months getting someone to pay for the car repairs when she went outside of her insurance when someone crashed into her (he was on his mobile at the time so wanted to get out of trouble!). He's completely within his rights to get his car repaired through a reputable dealer through his insurance. Tough luck. Also, i don't think your dodgy parking excuse will wash with the insurance company as you crashed into a stationary car. May as well try though.

ReputationRep:
    he's well within his right to want bmw to fix it. if someone dented my car i'd insist on getting it fixed at my cooper garage where i bought it/get it serviced. i wouldn't trust some randomer not to **** it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    He's being a 'prick' because it's a hassle to get car repairs done outside of insurance. My mum spent about 4 months getting someone to pay for the car repairs when she went outside of her insurance when someone crashed into her (he was on his mobile at the time so wanted to get out of trouble!). He's completely within his rights to get his car repaired through a reputable dealer through his insurance. Tough luck. Also, i don't think your dodgy parking excuse will wash with the insurance company as you crashed into a stationary car. May as well try though.
    I am willing to pay in advance. I am willing to sort everything out, it will be alot simpler than going through insurance. It's nothing to do with didgy parking, its to do with the son not legally being allowed to drive the car.

ReputationRep:
    How does he know about the quality of the job? I am more than willing to get it fixed back to what it was and to his satisfaction. His justification for wanting the BMW garage to do it is that it will increase the car's value. I can't see that tbh.

And I do think it makes a difference in regards to insurance. I might be wrong, but I would be pretty nervous if I was claiming saying someone who was not insured had moved my car.
    It is nothing to do with what you think/know is better it is what he wants, if you dont want to pay go through insurance and have sky high quotes for the next 5 years,

It makes NO difference about the unisured driver moving the car, Wheres the proof? even if it was on cctv it would still be your fault for hitting the car and the uninsured driving would be a seperate offence, youve not got a leg to stand on:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiill)
    It is nothing to do with what you think/know is better it is what he wants, if you dont want to pay go through insurance and have sky high quotes for the next 5 years,

It makes NO difference about the unisured driver moving the car, Wheres the proof? even if it was on cctv it would still be your fault for hitting the car and the uninsured driving would be a seperate offence, youve not got a leg to stand on:rolleyes:
    Well I witnessed it as did my friend. I cannot imagine they would deny that. Looks like I am going to have to pay out big time, just wont be mates with that tosser any more.

ReputationRep:
    I am willing to pay in advance. I am willing to sort everything out, it will be alot simpler than going through insurance. It's nothing to do with didgy parking, its to do with the son not legally being allowed to drive the car.
    It depends. If it was on private property then he's quite within his right to drive the car. As you haven't told us the situation in detail i couldn't really comment. Have you suggested to him that you pay for it to be done at BMW... it might be cheaper for you in the long run just to pay for that rather than having to fork out on your insurance thing that you've got to pay for any claim (i've just mind blanked on the word i want!) and then having to pay for more expensive insurance next time. It's obvious that he's not having this £100 fixing job that you've got so think about your other options.

ReputationRep:
    Did he move it off the driveway?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.