Turn on thread page Beta

bashed someones car - now they are being dicks! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    Did he move it off the driveway?
    Yep onto the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexyguy)
    But I am offering to get the car back into the condition it was in before the accident. Why does he have the right to insist on a bmw garage?
    You're not offering to get the car back into the previous condition at all. It'll have been through a repair which devalues the car.

And yes, he can insist on a BMW garage rather than the cheap (£100 sounds very cheap) job you've offered to have done.

How does he know about the quality of the job?
    How does he know you won't get a terrible job done? It's his car, he gets to choose I'm afraid.

I am more than willing to get it fixed back to what it was and to his satisfaction. His justification for wanting the BMW garage to do it is that it will increase the car's value. I can't see that tbh.
    I can. BMW repair will hold his car's value much better. If his satisfaction = BMW repair then you have to pay it or go through insurance.

And I do think it makes a difference in regards to insurance. I might be wrong, but I would be pretty nervous if I was claiming saying someone who was not insured had moved my car.
    It's a separate incident. The car was parked legally right? If so, you really don't have a leg to stand on.

And he didn't "force" this person to move his car either. That uninsured driver is at fault in the eyes of the law, not the owner.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I was around a friends house. Was asked to move my car so that the younger brother could get his out. Younger brother then moves the dads bmw. The kid parked it in a funny way and when reversing back I caught it slightly. No damage to mine. However there is a small dent on his car.

The father has since been acting like a muppet. I said I would get it fixed, got a bloke who lives on my street who says he will do it for £100. However this bloke wants it going through the bmw garage. This is going to cost me silly money. Apparently it will devalue the car if not through a dealer.

So here is the thing. Can I chose where to get it fixed? Given that his son isnt insured it will make it tough for him to force it though the insurance right?
    He probably doesn't feel comfortable handing his car "to a bloke who will fix it for £100". He wants piece of mind by having a bmw garage fix it. There is no reason he should trust that the car will make it back in the condition it was before the accident, you're clearly motivated financially and probably don't give two ***** about the end result of the guys car.

You reap what you sow. You shouldn't have hit his car.

ReputationRep:
    I think when you fill out the insurance form all he really need to put down is that the car was stationary, with the engine switched off and someone hit it, i shouldnt imagine it will matter at all who parked it. He can claim on insurance and you will have to cough up the money for wherever he gets it fixed, do you have insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeee)
    are you gonna bang doe?

lol

ReputationRep:
    So basically you're saying that you assumed there would be no car where you were going rather than looking in your mirrors, then complain that it's everyone's fault but you when you have to pay to fix the damage you caused.

ReputationRep:
    First of all....

Learn to drive

Second of all

500 quid

or higher insurance next year

you choose

ReputationRep:
    Yep I know. However I am offering to put it back in the same condition as it was in before the accident. I don't get why he is being a prick. However I am not going to take having to pay £500 as apposed to £100. I think I shall just say that I will be informing that the accident was due to dodgy parking by uninsured son.
    It's irrelevant who parked the car if it was stationary at the time you hit it.

Also, how old is the car, if its less than around 5 years old who does the repair will make a fair difference. If I was buying a car at that kind of value knowing it had been damaged, i'd be more comfortable seeing evidence it was repaired by a BMW garage. The price might be high, but you get a receipt that gives some guarantee of quality/standards, and that will make a difference when selling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomc87)
    It's irrelevant who parked the car if it was stationary at the time you hit it.

Also, how old is the car, if its less than around 5 years old who does the repair will make a fair difference. If I was buying a car at that kind of value knowing it had been damaged, i'd be more comfortable seeing evidence it was repaired by a BMW garage. The price might be high, but you get a receipt that gives some guarantee of quality/standards, and that will make a difference when selling.
    OK I will drop the who has been parking thing. However I still take issue with why it should be done at BMW.

The guy who I want to get to do it, does the bodywork for porshe. He is just offering to do it for me at that price for a favour as I know him. Also how will anyone know it has been damaged? I am informed that you will not be able to tell.

ReputationRep:
    OK I will drop the who has been parking thing. However I still take issue with why it should be done at BMW.

The guy who I want to get to do it, does the bodywork for porshe. He is just offering to do it for me at that price for a favour as I know him. Also how will anyone know it has been damaged? I am informed that you will not be able to tell.
    Well I suppose if the dent isn't that bad then you wouldn't, it could only be recorded if insurance get involved..

Also, if he does it through insurance it'll probably go to a local repair centre rather than a BMW garage anyway.

ReputationRep:

If there is no damage to your car, why not deny you did it. PROBLEM SOLVED

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know for sure but I think the owner has the right to choose how he wants his car to be fixed

ReputationRep:

If he is still under warranty, it will be void for rust prevention etc if he gets the job done by an independent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    If there is no damage to your car, why not deny you did it. PROBLEM SOLVED
    Dude for the sake of the amount of money we are talking about I am not going to risk doing something as silly as that. Plus his son saw it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    If he is still under warranty, it will be void for rust prevention etc if he gets the job done by an independent.
    It's not that new. I could understand if it was. The bloke is just being funny.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that new. I could understand if it was. The bloke is just being funny.
    Well, in that case, maybe he has a perfect service history from a BMW dealership, and breaking that will reduce the value of the car by a lot.

I all fairness, he maybe being a knob (I don't know if he is or isn't), but in the eyes of the law you are at fault and have two choices:
    Pay the full amount
    Go through insurance and pay even more overall

For the guy he probably see it as doing you a favor already by not going straight to insurance as he is taking a risk trusting you to pay him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    and you're also being a prick, if you knew how to drive, none of this would be a problem. Pay up and stop complaining or face paying more next year for insurance
    Are you trying to be controversial? I had a minor bump so I cannot drive... On that basis anyone who has even a minor crash should have their licence revoked?

Do you even have a car/license?

Basically, I was around a friends house. Was asked to move my car so that the younger brother could get his out. Younger brother then moves the dads bmw. The kid parked it in a funny way and when reversing back I caught it slightly. No damage to mine. However there is a small dent on his car.

The father has since been acting like a muppet. I said I would get it fixed, got a bloke who lives on my street who says he will do it for £100. However this bloke wants it going through the bmw garage. This is going to cost me silly money. Apparently it will devalue the car if not through a dealer.

So here is the thing. Can I chose where to get it fixed? Given that his son isnt insured it will make it tough for him to force it though the insurance right?
    don't be an idiot - you hit the car, he should be able to get it repaired wherever he wants (within reason) and an authorised bmw garage will give him the peace of mind. He's not being a prick, just man up and accept you'll have to fork out for it.

ReputationRep:
    Well I witnessed it as did my friend. I cannot imagine they would deny that. Looks like I am going to have to pay out big time, just wont be mates with that tosser any more.
    Hmm lets think... who's more of a tosser, the guy that wants his car repaired properly after some tosser drove into it or the tosser that drove into it?

Tricky one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Hmm lets think... who's more of a tosser, the guy that wants his car repaired properly after some tosser drove into it or the tosser that drove into it?

Tricky one.
    I agree with any post similar to this nature.

OP, stop trying to look like the victim.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 30, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.