Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

bashed someones car - now they are being dicks! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexyguy)
    It's not that new. I could understand if it was. The bloke is just being funny.
    The chassis has a 12 year warranty. It's perfectly understandable that he doesn't want it voided.

He also may not trust the quality of your friend's job. That's also understandable.

I'd demand for a BMW garage repair as well if I was him.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by HJV)
    The chassis has a 12 year warranty. It's perfectly understandable that he doesn't want it voided.

He also may not trust the quality of your friend's job. That's also understandable.

I'd demand for a BMW garage repair as well if I was him.
    :ditto: My dad's a mechanic but if I had a new bmw with any sort of warranty on it I wouldn't let him touch it, no matter how good a job he'd do.
    Sorry OP but cars are parked in 'funny ways' all the time, if it was an impossible space to reverse through you should have asked them to move the car again, either way it was your poor judgement that dented his car :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Man up and pay the damn thing.

ReputationRep:
    Dude quit being such an idiot about it, the dude is giving you a chance to not have to put it on your insurance, he could have taken your insurance right there and done it that way. That's exactly what I would have done especially since you're being such a tosser about it. He has every right to take it to whatever person he wants to, it's his car and your fault. Just cause your boy down the road knows how to do an intake on this 1.3 astra diesel doesn't mean he knows how to effectively repair a bmw, match the paint, and line up the body panels to such a degree that it will hold up with the rest of the car for however long he owns it.

ReputationRep:
    Should never admit fault in an accident, it closes so many loopholes insurance firms could use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    Dude quit being such an idiot about it, the dude is giving you a chance to not have to put it on your insurance, he could have taken your insurance right there and done it that way. That's exactly what I would have done especially since you're being such a tosser about it. He has every right to take it to whatever person he wants to, it's his car and your fault. Just cause your boy down the road knows how to do an intake on this 1.3 astra diesel doesn't mean he knows how to effectively repair a bmw, match the paint, and line up the body panels to such a degree that it will hold up with the rest of the car for however long he owns it.
    OK... you have a right to an opinion, but if you are going to respond to a thread then please bother to read the thread. I have already stated that the person who I wish to do the work does the bodywork for porshe, he is hardly a boy racer with a spanner and an induction kit.

ReputationRep:
    OK... you have a right to an opinion, but if you are going to respond to a thread then please bother to read the thread. I have already stated that the person who I wish to do the work does the bodywork for porshe, he is hardly a boy racer with a spanner and an induction kit.
    If it's under warranty, the warranty will probably be void as soon as he gets work done by an independent. It looks like the BMW warranty can cover quite a lot of stuff, so that warranty is pretty valuable. As you might have noticed from the thread, most people think the guy is being perfectly reasonable.

You're gonna have to choose between £500 or the higher insurance premiums.

ReputationRep:
    He may work for porsche but does he have an extensive knowledge of bmw body work and paint? Does he even work on body work at all? I know tons of mechanics myself included that can rebuild and engine in less than 3 hours but if you gave them a paint gun and some body work it would look like a monkey with a rattle can. The man is merely protecting his investment in a car, he spent his hard earned money on it. You should at least realize how much it takes to put into a car and see that you took away from that investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    He may work for porsche but does he have an extensive knowledge of bmw body work and paint? Does he even work on body work at all? I know tons of mechanics myself included that can rebuild and engine in less than 3 hours but if you gave them a paint gun and some body work it would look like a monkey with a rattle can. The man is merely protecting his investment in a car, he spent his hard earned money on it. You should at least realize how much it takes to put into a car and see that you took away from that investment.
    I get your point.

And in answer to your question: bodywork is what he does. When someone takes there porshe around a bend at 90 and trashes it, he makes it look pretty again. However my bad, so i'll have to pay to fix it.

ReputationRep:
    I know it was an accident, but if you aren't willing to go through insurance then you have to do it the way he wants.

If I owned a BMW and it got dented, I would want it fixed somewhere where I KNOW it will be done professionally. Your mates dad probably doesn't want some stranger bashing away at his BMW.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I was around a friends house. Was asked to move my car so that the younger brother could get his out. Younger brother then moves the dads bmw. The kid parked it in a funny way and when reversing back I caught it slightly. No damage to mine. However there is a small dent on his car.

The father has since been acting like a muppet. I said I would get it fixed, got a bloke who lives on my street who says he will do it for £100. However this bloke wants it going through the bmw garage. This is going to cost me silly money. Apparently it will devalue the car if not through a dealer.

So here is the thing. Can I chose where to get it fixed? Given that his son isnt insured it will make it tough for him to force it though the insurance right?
    moral of the story - don't park anywhere near people you know!!!!, hehe. I'd just get it done at a bmw garage using your insurance (if you have any), and then never ever visit your friends house...make your friend come to yours.

I think it is kinda your fault but i agree that your mates dad is being a bit of a douchebag!, what i don't understand is why u don't get insurance for it? If you don't have insurance you shouldn't have been driving that car!

ReputationRep:
    Have they got any evidence you hit his car? Just deny all of it.

ReputationRep:
    If the son moved the car on the guys drive, then that is completely legal anyway, it is private property. So you don't have a leg to stand on there.

I think you should have a chat with the Dad, explain you are really sorry and that you have found this chap who has experience and good credentials that you are willing to pay for, but equally you don't want your insurance going up so will put it through the BMW garage as well. Trust me, if this goes on your insurance it will cost you much more than £500 over the next 5 years!

The car is his pride and joy, you damaged it. You have to accept that. You are responsible for fixing the problem however the owner sees fit. His Son moving the car is irrelevent because it is on private property, not the public highway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    I believe there is legislation now in place that stop Manufacturers dictating that a car under warranty must be serviced via the main dealer. The risk is that a private garage does not use approved manufacturer parts or does not use/do manufacturer methods. Its a grey area that can/could leave the car owner wide open for the warranty been void.
    Servicing yes. I dont think accident damage could be classed as servicing though.

ReputationRep:
    If somebody hit your BMW would you want it done properly?

ReputationRep:
    Here's an idea: assuming there's no warranty to void if the repair is done elsewhere, suggest to 'dad' that you get it done your way and, if he has any issues with it upon return, then you'll get it done at the BMW garage. Maybe even take him to meet this friend of yours just to allay any fears he may have.

If your bodywork mate is as good as you say, it shouldn't be a problem.

Ultimately, though, he's doing you a favour by not involving the insurance.

PS If you've been as arsey to 'dad' as you come across on here, then you have some back-tracking to do. Maybe get your mate (son) to have a word, explain you're poor, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    Have they got any evidence you hit his car? Just deny all of it.
    Not an option at all. The other person's insurance company can send an engineer to inspect the vehicle and they can tell if either its been in a collision or whether it's been repaired.

Something to do with pigment fragments being left on the vehicle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maloney)

Not an option at all. The other person's insurance company can send an engineer to inspect the vehicle and they can tell if either its been in a collision or whether it's been repaired.

Something to do with pigment fragments being left on the vehicle.
    And what if ironically you no longer have your car? If there's no car they can't do the test.

ReputationRep:
    He will have a 12 year anti corrosion warranty on the bodywork. If work is carried out by anyone not approved by BMW, and a year later his car has a bit of rust coming up elsewhere on the car, BMW will simply void the warranty and not carry out the work.

I used to own a 2 year old renault that the previous owner had some paint job carried out. When the paint started going funny on the top (cracks etc) and I tried taking it to Renault, they told me someone else had completed a paint job and pointed directly to the evidence and therefore could not carry any anticorrosion warranty work out!

So he is quite right to demand going to BMW

/thread

ReputationRep:
    As above. If he wants the warranty intact, it has to be done at BMW (despite the fact that in all likelihood, BMW will subcontract to the local independent). If somebody hit my car and then said they'd get their 'mate' to fix it for '£100', I'd assume it was going to be an absolutely crap job. Afraid you're just going to have to suck it up and pay for the repair at the main dealer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.