Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Finding a training contract watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is this accounting I want a training contract like this when I have finished my A levels but I can't find anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maturity)
    Is this accounting I want a training contract like this when I have finished my A levels but I can't find anywhere.
    If you've completed your A-Levels but don't plan to go to university, you'll often find it much easier to get a training contract working towards the AAT qualification initially, then following this you can look to progress on to the ACA. I don't know what you've tried so far, but I'd suggest that you could start by making some enquiries at local accountancy firms to see if they have any vacancies. Larger firms (including some of the Big 4) also run programs for A-Level school leavers, if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    If you've completed your A-Levels but don't plan to go to university, you'll often find it much easier to get a training contract working towards the AAT qualification initially, then following this you can look to progress on to the ACA. I don't know what you've tried so far, but I'd suggest that you could start by making some enquiries at local accountancy firms to see if they have any vacancies. Larger firms (including some of the Big 4) also run programs for A-Level school leavers, if you're interested.
    This is exactly what I am after, I am yet to complete my A levels. What do you suggest in terms of grades are they after? I am predicted AAAAA but I can see my self hitting AAABC I don't know. GCSE - 9A* 3A's .. I have applied to university but I really am not in the mood to go.

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what I am after, I am yet to complete my A levels. What do you suggest in terms of grades are they after? I am predicted AAAAA but I can see my self hitting AAABC I don't know. GCSE - 9A* 3A's .. I have applied to university but I really am not in the mood to go.
    I'll preface this by saying that I'm not really aware in detail of the opportunities for non-graduate applications. However, your grades shouldn't be a problem, as often your three best grades (sometimes excluding General Studies) are what's important and you think that AAA is realistic. As an example, PwC's HEADstart program (clicky) requires 280 UCAS points (equivalent to BBC at A-Level), and I'd generally expect smaller firms' requirements to be a little lower. Someone with better knowledge of the specifics may be able to give you a better insight, but as is quite common with A-Level entry you'd be working towards the ACCA rather than ACA or CA qualification.

My understanding is that the entry requirements for ACCA programs are generally lower than for the ACA, but while the focus of this will be a little different you should still put you in a strong position to develop your career post-qualification. A few years after qualification, it gets to the point where what matters most is your experience, not your precise qualification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    I'll preface this by saying that I'm not really aware in detail of the opportunities for non-graduate applications. However, your grades shouldn't be a problem, as often your three best grades (sometimes excluding General Studies) are what's important and you think that AAA is realistic. As an example, PwC's HEADstart program (clicky) requires 280 UCAS points (equivalent to BBC at A-Level), and I'd generally expect smaller firms' requirements to be a little lower. Someone with better knowledge of the specifics may be able to give you a better insight, but as is quite common with A-Level entry you'd be working towards the ACCA rather than ACA or CA qualification.

My understanding is that the entry requirements for ACCA programs are generally lower than for the ACA, but while the focus of this will be a little different you should still put you in a strong position to develop your career post-qualification. A few years after qualification, it gets to the point where what matters most is your experience, not your precise qualification.
    Thank you for being so helpful.
    So after I get my A levels should I (ring/post) local accountancy firms or before hand? I am pretty confused to all the different qualifications to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for being so helpful.
    So after I get my A levels should I (ring/post) local accountancy firms or before hand? I am pretty confused to all the different qualifications to be honest.
    There's no harm in making preliminary enquiries at an early stage, and you may find (at least for smaller firms) that you're able to get at least a work experience position prior to completing your exams, which would help any future applications.

ReputationRep:
    The sooner the better as positions fill up quick

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.