Turn on thread page Beta

The main problem is, I don't have one. I was thinking about everything recently and I realised that I don't have proper friends. I haven't even had a night out since about October.

I'm not as pathetic as that makes me sound. I'm at uni on a good course, have a part time job, got a boyfriend and I do have a few friends. But they all have their own lives and friends, I really only see them in uni. As for uni, I live at home (as do the people I was talking about) so that's made it quite hard to meet people and nights out take days of planning. 'Can I stay at yours?' etc. So we've pretty much given up, especially since only one of my friends likes going out and a few don't drink at all.

And my boyfriend is at uni miles away, we're long distance but see each other quite a lot. He moved away for uni and he has a decent social life which is why I hate that I don't, I feel like I'm always moaning or crying to him, or that he feels guilty for going out which I really don't want.

I don't know how to stop this. I've been at uni over a year now, another two and a half to go and I can't stand the feeling that everyone else is having a great time and I'm hating it. Any advice?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Be proactive. Ask people if they want to go out rather than hope that they ask you.

ReputationRep:
    you need to un-retard yourself bro.

ReputationRep:
    As someone said above, be pro-active.

You think you have problems,
    I came home early :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried making any other social plans other than a night out? Maybe doing to see a film...that sort of thing. How about joining societies in uni? Just stick your neck out and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeee)
    you need to un-retard yourself bro.
    Lol, it's so obvious you want to get as bad rep as possible. By acting a **** in every single post, people will know you are too, so people will start giving you good rep. Your first good rep will be from me.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being a poofter. You're acting as if you have big problems.

Saying 'be pro-active' is one thing, but you can't just walk up to people you've spoken to a couple of times in lectures and ask if they want to go out. Any time we've tried to arrange anything, it's ended up a maximum of three unless we bring boyfriends etc. Other things are expensive (eg dinner) and in the cinema you don't talk, and then everyone's running off to catch trains.

As for societies, I've never really fancied the thought of it. And I don't go to a very student-friendly uni. I know that sounds ridiculous but it is a very 'go in, lectures, home' place so they don't have many options. Mainly sport and that's not my thing at all. I did look into societies because I've been feeling this way for months, but they all meet in the evening and I'd be hanging about for hours waiting.

Thanks for the help though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukukiwaiyi)
    Lol, it's so obvious you want to get as bad rep as possible. By acting a **** in every single post, people will know you are too, so people will start giving you good rep. Your first good rep will be from me.
    what you on about? im not after neg rep. you just gave me positive rep for no reason. dumb *******.

Move to halls. Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Saying 'be pro-active' is one thing, but you can't just walk up to people you've spoken to a couple of times in lectures and ask if they want to go out. Any time we've tried to arrange anything, it's ended up a maximum of three unless we bring boyfriends etc. Other things are expensive (eg dinner) and in the cinema you don't talk, and then everyone's running off to catch trains.

As for societies, I've never really fancied the thought of it. And I don't go to a very student-friendly uni. I know that sounds ridiculous but it is a very 'go in, lectures, home' place so they don't have many options. Mainly sport and that's not my thing at all. I did look into societies because I've been feeling this way for months, but they all meet in the evening and I'd be hanging about for hours waiting.

Thanks for the help though.
    do you go Brunel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeee)
    what you on about? im not after neg rep. you just gave me positive rep for no reason. dumb *******.
    hehe, its clear i worked you up :P

I <3 u 2

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.