Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Closed

ReputationRep:
    The subjects you've mentioned: Bio, lit and History sound like good choices as they can enable you to go into various career paths If you are interested in Law, I would pick that because you're probably more likely to do better in the exams if you enjoy the subject.

As for subjects being "frowned upon," I think it really depends where you want to apply to and probably relates more to the top 10 universities. People made a big deal about my Alevel subjects being frowned upon ( I chose to study Psychology and Media Studies) and I've just received conditional offers from everywhere that I applied to.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks ^ but you forgot to answer the first question

ReputationRep:
    First off, what do you want to do at uni?

I'm not sure what you mean, but many top universities require chemistry to study biological sciences.

ReputationRep:
    domino0806 is right, for Sheffield biomedical science, biology isn't even a requirement, but they do want a B in Chemistry. I know that's just one course, but it's an example and I expect you'll find similar requirements elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Having a science in there will add some variety and maybe open up more careers. You could go into law, psychology (good to have biology for that one), english or that kind of area.

ReputationRep:
    , most unis require a top grade in chemistry at gcse only. biology is very assessible at A level, barely any stats, and virtually no chemistry. you will find it a little tough at degree level, most some unis like durham have a module in chemistry for biosciences, and at least 20 peeps in the course dont have chemistry at a level, and they r doing fine : )

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks so far guys..and really I wanna do anything law/sociology/psychology/science related (but bio related because I hate maths)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pappu)
    1. Is it worth doing bio if that's the only science related sub I'm doing? (e.g bio eng lit and
    history)
    1b.where can I go with bio ONLY in the science related field? Or can I?

I'm going to be choosing the following: eng Lang n lit, law, psychology and philosophy as my as

2. So what could I go onto study at uni with them subjects?

Moreover Would you go along with this? Because I've been hearing alot about law and how it's looked down upon by unis

So yeah if you could mix n match the subjects it'd be nice because I'm not too sure on which ones are highly regarded / frowned upon
    Would biology be your fifth AS? I really enjoy the A2 but the AS is slightly boring IMO. I think you could pick it up pretty well with arts A Levels but you might have to work a bit harder if you're not doing Chemistry.

You could replace law with biology if you think you enjoy them equally as biology is sometimes viewed more favourably; having said this, there are careers where I guess law would be advantageous so that will to some extend decide your choices for you.

ReputationRep:
    I understand there is quite a bit of statistics in psychology degrees and that. And I don't mean the 'find the mean, mode and range of these 5 numbers' questions, I mean the 'perform a hypothesis test with these results, find a p-value, make a conclusion' kind.

There is more maths in science related degrees, even in biology. Differential equations are important in some areas.

You asked about law. Law is not a requirement for a law degree at any university, as far as I am aware. It isn't the most respected A level, and a lot of people say it gives no head start to a law degree.
    Only do it if you will enjoy it and get a good grade in it I suppose.

About your choice of English: you should think carefully about whether or not you want to do language, literature, or combined. It is not like GCSE at all. English language is not all about spelling and grammar, or how well you can write a story. Likewise, literature is not just about talking about ideas anymore; you need to apply these yourself (at least you do for the WJEC coursework element).
    Literature is probably most respected, but it's your choice really.

Philosophy is a good and flexible A level. Not really sure what to say!

Psychology is good too. Many people will call it a soft A level but I think this is changing.

Biology goes well with psychology for a psychology degree. However, if you want to go down the biology route, you should think about chemistry, as people have said above. When looking at systems in detail, you'll find it's necessary to have to study them on a molecular level, or something like that. Anyway, chemistry is pretty important to biology after A level. It's not a requirement at some places though.

Anyway, choices of biology, psychology, philosophy and English will be fine for psychology, English, law, social sciences... and a whole load of other courses that don't have particular A levle requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    Would biology be your fifth AS? I really enjoy the A2 but the AS is slightly boring IMO. I think you could pick it up pretty well with arts A Levels but you might have to work a bit harder if you're not doing Chemistry.
    Oooh you got into Oxford then.

And so I'm not hijacking:

I agree with the quote, OP. Biology AS is so, so, soooooooo boring.
    I liked the stuff on the respiratory systems, and the heart, and the biochemistry, but GTFO water uptake in plants, variation, classification...

ALSO WTF IS WITH THE PRACTICALS. THEY ARE SO DAMN EASY BUT WHY CAN'T I GET HIGHER THAN A C IN THEM. RAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Also yes, it will be managable with arts A levels, but be aware that there is a lot of stuff to know. It's easy to remember how everything works and that, but what you must remember is that you need to use specific words! This was my mistake. I came out of my exams feeling like I hadn't made a single mistake, and when I compared answers I found that 90% of my answers were correct, but I was constantly going "D'oh! I forgot to say that the phospholipid 'heads' are hydrophilic" and that, and if you look at my signature, you'll see that it had quite an effect on my grade.

Then my teacher told me that there was a compulsory trip to some nature place if you wanted to carry on to A2, where we had to take our wellies and big square grid measuring things to go investigate wildlife, so I was like, **** that.

Now I regret it, and my life is over.
    They're learning about the nervous system, and photosynthesis, and I'm all, awwww. D:

The point of this post was this:
    OP, when it comes to choosing what to carry on to A2, don't base your decision to carry on with biology on the year before. Take a look at the specification for A2 biology and use that to decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    Oooh you got into Oxford then.

And so I'm not hijacking:

I agree with the quote, OP. Biology AS is so, so, soooooooo boring.
    I liked the stuff on the respiratory systems, and the heart, and the biochemistry, but GTFO water uptake in plants, variation, classification...

ALSO WTF IS WITH THE PRACTICALS. THEY ARE SO DAMN EASY BUT WHY CAN'T I GET HIGHER THAN A C IN THEM. RAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Also yes, it will be managable with arts A levels, but be aware that there is a lot of stuff to know. It's easy to remember how everything works and that, but what you must remember is that you need to use specific words! This was my mistake. I came out of my exams feeling like I hadn't made a single mistake, and when I compared answers I found that 90% of my answers were correct, but I was constantly going "D'oh! I forgot to say that the phospholipid 'heads' are hydrophilic" and that, and if you look at my signature, you'll see that it had quite an effect on my grade.

Then my teacher told me that there was a compulsory trip to some nature place if you wanted to carry on to A2, where we had to take our wellies and big square grid measuring things to go investigate wildlife, so I was like, **** that.

Now I regret it, and my life is over.
    They're learning about the nervous system, and photosynthesis, and I'm all, awwww. D:

The point of this post was this:
    OP, when it comes to choosing what to carry on to A2, don't base your decision to carry on with biology on the year before. Take a look at the specification for A2 biology and use that to decide.
    Heh, yeah I got into Oxford. :woo:

Agreed on the practical! I got a C in it last year, hoping to retake this year but I'll be happy with a B tbh; the marking is so random!

Why don't you self teach Biology A2 and do it outside school? I think it's worth it as the content is really fun!

ReputationRep:
    Heh, yeah I got into Oxford. :woo:

Agreed on the practical! I got a C in it last year, hoping to retake this year but I'll be happy with a B tbh; the marking is so random!

Why don't you self teach Biology A2 and do it outside school? I think it's worth it as the content is really fun!
    I probably will next year. I was going to do it this year but I'm too scared to ask the biology department when the practicals will be, and what timeslot I can fit into.
    Because I missed a lot of lectures last year I felt I offended the teachers. Well, I definitely offended one by telling them that I hated their favourite topic and that it was stupid, and then dropped the subject.
    Oops.

But I might have to pay for it next year. Unless I actually do a third year and take up another 2 subjects too (EMA plspslpsls).
    Oh but they changed exam board this year so this year is the last year for A2 biology on AQA. UGH.

I don't know. I just don't know. FML. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I probably will next year. I was going to do it this year but I'm too scared to ask the biology department when the practicals will be, and what timeslot I can fit into.
    Because I missed a lot of lectures last year I felt I offended the teachers. Well, I definitely offended one by telling them that I hated their favourite topic and that it was stupid, and then dropped the subject.
    Oops.

But I might have to pay for it next year. Unless I actually do a third year and take up another 2 subjects too (EMA plspslpsls).
    Oh but they changed exam board this year so this year is the last year for A2 biology on AQA. UGH.

I don't know. I just don't know. FML. :p:
    Are you on a gap year? Or are you applying for uni this year? If you're applying this year I wouldn't take out an extra year to do Biology A2 in, it's fun but not that fun! :p: Taking up an extra two subjects was something I'd considered if I'd had to take a gap year, what would you pick up?

ReputationRep:
    Are you on a gap year? Or are you applying for uni this year? If you're applying this year I wouldn't take out an extra year to do Biology A2 in, it's fun but not that fun! :p: Taking up an extra two subjects was something I'd considered if I'd had to take a gap year, what would you pick up?
    I applied this year but I'm not sure I want to go this year. I may take a year out and reapply. Not sure yet.

If I do, it's either a full time job or a third year in college doing A2 biology, and probably intensive English lit. A level.

I'll decide when I get my summer results I suppose!

Good luck meeting your offer, not that you need it. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I applied this year but I'm not sure I want to go this year. I may take a year out and reapply. Not sure yet.

If I do, it's either a full time job or a third year in college doing A2 biology, and probably intensive English lit. A level.

I'll decide when I get my summer results I suppose!

Good luck meeting your offer, not that you need it. :p:
    Ah right, what did you apply for? Are you considering med by any chance?

English lit sounds fun, another subject that sounds interesting is Philosophy IMO.

Good luck whatever you decide!

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, what did you apply for? Are you considering med by any chance?

English lit sounds fun, another subject that sounds interesting is Philosophy IMO.

Good luck whatever you decide!
    Maths.

I might do intensive philosophy. It goes with maths, plus I think a friend is doing that next year and it would be fun to actually be able to revise with one of my main friends outside of lessons, instead of being the guy who just sits there when all his friends are revising psychology. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Maths.

I might do intensive philosophy. It goes with maths, plus I think a friend is doing that next year and it would be fun to actually be able to revise with one of my main friends outside of lessons, instead of being the guy who just sits there when all his friends are revising psychology. :p:
    Heh, do philosophy, sounds good!

Don't know how you maths geniuses cope with FP2 though...

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.