Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am just looking through my UCAS application which I will be sending off later this year for entry in 2011.

I - somewhat naively, it now appears - believed I could apply to Oxford and Cambridge at the same time, in the same UCAS application. From what I have just read, the UCAS form suggests otherwise; i.e. I have to choose between the two, and can only apply to both if I have a degree already - which I don't.

Can anyone verify if this is in the fact the case, and if so, what Uni is more likely to take me with a Certificate in HE Legal Methods from Birkbeck, University of London?

If I only have one chance, I need to know what the statistics are of acceptances with this qualification!

I have already visited a mature student's open day in Cambridge, which I adored - and I have yet to visit Oxford.

Both are my dream Uni's so this has really thrown a spanner in the works!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlr80)
    Hi all,

I am just looking through my UCAS application which I will be sending off later this year for entry in 2011.

I - somewhat naively, it now appears - believed I could apply to Oxford and Cambridge at the same time, in the same UCAS application. From what I have just read, the UCAS form suggests otherwise; i.e. I have to choose between the two, and can only apply to both if I have a degree already - which I don't.

Can anyone verify if this is in the fact the case, and if so, what Uni is more likely to take me with a Certificate in HE Legal Methods from Birkbeck, University of London?

If I only have one chance, I need to know what the statistics are of acceptances with this qualification!

I have already visited a mature student's open day in Cambridge, which I adored - and I have yet to visit Oxford.

Both are my dream Uni's so this has really thrown a spanner in the works!
    If you're an undergraduate then you can only apply to one
    If you're a postgraduate then you can apply to both.

ReputationRep:
    you can't apply to both as you are an undergrad

I would seriously question whether they will accept that as a qualification suitavle for their standards, best way to find out is to phone up and talk to them...although I daresay its too late

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Yea, it's definitely one or the other. You can't pick both. I've not actually heard of that qualification, but what course do you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    Is your qualification equivilant to 3 A levels (at grade A)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, can only apply to either Oxford or Cambridge. I always feel Cambridge seems harder to get into than Oxford so that's your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    You can only apply to one or the other unless you play organ really well

ReputationRep:
    Non-organ scholar applicants can only apply to 1 for an undergraduate (first) degree.

On a side note, apply to Cambridge. (:p:)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all for your responses.

I have spoken to other students who have been accepted into Oxford with this qualification from Birkbeck (basically an Access course), and I am still waiting for Cambridge to get back to me to confirm that they will definitely accept it. At the open day I attended at Cambridge they stated they accepted Access courses on the condition that it is passed with Distinction.

Just to reiterate: I am looking to apply for Uni this year for entry *next* year, i.e. to start in 2011 - I am studying an Access course commencing this September.

I have to say although I adored Cambridge, I get the gut feeling that Oxford would be the safer choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Non-organ scholar applicants can only apply to 1 for an undergraduate (first) degree.

On a side note, apply to Cambridge. (:p:)

Really?

ReputationRep:
    As everybody else said, it's definitely only one :yep:

If you wish to know their policies on accepting your qualification, and it isn't explicitly stated on their admissions website, then I'd say drop an e-mail to the admissions office (either of the uni or at a specific college) so that you can get a good idea of how they may respond to your application.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jlr80)

I have to say although I adored Cambridge, I get the gut feeling that Oxford would be the safer choice.
    Neither is easier to get into than the other - definitely neither is the "safe" choice. I study at Cambridge and love it, so am naturally biased. What is it you want to study?

ReputationRep:
    I should also mention that I am intending to study Law.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really see why you're complaining; their entry standards will be similar, so I'd imagine, if you were to get an offer from one, you'd get an offer from both, and so you'd still have to make the choice eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryDay)
    Neither is easier to get into than the other - definitely neither is the "safe" choice. I study at Cambridge and love it, so am naturally biased. What is it you want to study?
    I say Oxford is a safer choice merely because I know a few people who have got into Oxford after taking the same course as I will be. Obviously it all depends on personal performance too; however, I know that Oxford favour the Birkbeck Access Course in Law.

As I said, I have spoken to Cambridge, in particular Lucy Cavendish College, who accept Law Access courses dependant on the course details - and told me to contact them with the details of the Law Access course I wanted to do so they could confirm it was acceptable.

Still waiting to hear back, so hopefully it won't be too long...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I can't really see why you're complaining; their entry standards will be similar, so I'd imagine, if you were to get an offer from one, you'd get an offer from both, and so you'd still have to make the choice eventually.
    I wasn't complaining at all; I was just taken aback by the realisation this evening that I would have to make the choice between applying for both of them via UCAS. I had already chosen the Uni's I was applying for and then discovered I had to only choose one of them.

So no complaints; I just needed some further opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Visit Oxford and investigate the course structure, living cost, etc. there too until you have equal knowledge of both Unis, then decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlr80)
    I need to know what the statistics are of acceptances with this qualification!
    Ugh, neither is a 'safer' choice.

And, admission statistics are pointless and meaningless. If you're good enough you have a good chance of getting in. If you're not you don't. It has nothing to do with your qualifications, it's how you are as a student.

You've been told that the course CAN count as a suitable qualification to get an offer. So you can apply to both with equal chance.

Your attitude annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody knows what your chances are so that, unfortunately, isn't a question worth asking.

If you need more advice from TSR I suggest you search for 'Law Harris Manchester' - a current first year Law student did the same access course as you and is now studying at Oxford. She's given some very good advice in her previous posts.

ReputationRep:
    There is more to life than oxbridge......... just to throw that out there.......

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.