Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ya, I was just wondering if you were allowed to order things from the internet and how we would go about collecting these...

I like to order a lot of clothes from Ebay cause sometimes it's like half price what it would be in a high-street shop soo. I'm going to be living in halls so I wanna make sure i've still got that luxury

I think at Canterbury you can go collect it from a main office?
    Could anyone living in halls let me know about this?

I'm looking to come here in Sept '10.
    It's funny the little things you worry about when you go away from home

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not there yet either but I read in the online booklet they hand 2 students coming that all pkgs r kept in the main reception - so it's all good qe can still order!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hall porters will sign for packages upon delivery and you should get a note through saying you have a package and need to go and collect them from the porter's lodge. It's partially what they're there for

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, some unis have post offices or porters what you collect your post from.
    Don't know what mail system is in bigger uni's though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you'll get given your halls address when you start and you'll get an email whenever a package gets delivered to the reception of the halls. They keep letters there too but you won't get emailed about those.

ReputationRep:
    And for bigger items, they will be kept in the Central Distribution store.

It generally is not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't trust them emailing you. They never email you. At least the Surrey/Battersea Court reception people don't email you. You basically have to go to your courts reception when your expecting a parcel or letter. Letters are placed in post racks sorted by name (so technically anyone can take your mail but they wont unless they're gits), but parcels are kept behind. If your names on a list at reception you have a parcel. You just go down with your campus card and sign for it.
    I've not heard about this central distribution store before, but may be my deliveries haven't been big enough. That said you've seen the size of amazon boxes, even for small things like books.

ReputationRep:
    Basically yes, it's possible. I had stuff delivered all the time. They normally have a list of packages which you'll then have to sign to receive it. Keep checking the list if you're expecting a package as they may not remind you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Twyford and whenever I order something from the net I get an email from my court reception telling me I've got a package. I then take my campus card and go up there to sign for it and I've got my package

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 4, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Surrey
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of Surrey
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.