Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann)
    You guys are even more in the minority post King's department closing down. It's a real shame.
    Why did the King's department close down? I'd definitely have applied there if it were still open, it looked great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdHock)
    Why did the King's department close down? I'd definitely have applied there if it were still open, it looked great!
    Essentially a cuts culture - unfortunately Kings have not fared well when it has come to department closures - undergrad American Studies last year, postgrad taught masters in American Studies this year, and the entire engineering department last year...it's a real shame. Only looks like it will continue too...

http://www.london-student.net/2010/0...9-cuts-at-kcl/

ReputationRep:
    Oh I am still waiting on Leicester to reply... I keep checking the post every day hoping it will be an offer instead of a rejection on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olipop)
    It's great that there are ppl on TSR I can relate to, we American Studies applicants are the minority
    I know, right! =/ I've searched nearly the entire TSR (yes, I am that sad) for American studies students, and didn't really find a lot

I LOOOOVE Nottingham, the campus is amazing and it's the best course out of my choices. The American Uni. options aren't very broad or good, though.

Bit of an FML, tbh. Are you gonna opt for 'American and English Studies' at Nott. then?

Let me know how it all goes! Good luck, too :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeeGRANT)
    I know, right! =/ I've searched nearly the entire TSR (yes, I am that sad) for American studies students, and didn't really find a lot :
    I did exactly the same thing

I LOOOOVE Nottingham, the campus is amazing and it's the best course out of my choices. The American Uni. options aren't very broad or good, though.
    I'm afraid I didn't receive the same impression as you had about Nottingham I didn't find it welcoming at all which is a real disappoinment. I found the whole American Studies faculty really distant and the abroad options were rather dismal!

And one final negative point being the accommodation! Wasn't as good as UEA's.

I wish Warwick would get their act together!!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olipop)
    the abroad options were rather dismal!
    I wish Warwick would get their act together!!!! :mad:
    Yeah, that's one thing that puts me off Nottingham; the choice of abroad Uni's is just awful Also, I was talking to a friend the other day who goes there, and she said her Uni. bus got shot at going through town...?! :eek:

So, yeah- add that to the negatives (Y)

Warwick should hopefully reply by March!

ReputationRep:
    I know, right! =/ I've searched nearly the entire TSR (yes, I am that sad) for American studies students, and didn't really find a lot
    Yeah I'm that sad as well XD But I've just found this thread! Recently firmed Nottingham for American and English Studies - sooooooo excited!! Especially at the prospects of Year 3 in America :love:
    I'm not actually sure where Nottingham do exchanges to..hmmm.
    Dya think you're gonna firm Notts. then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francake)
    Hey Well, I've applied for one Eng Lit and American Studies course at Manchester (as you can see in the sig, haha), mainly because i LOVED the modules, the whole idea of it (I have a lot of American literature influences, love the culture, history etc.); i was researching the course way before I got to the stage of finishing my AS. The usual offer for it's AAB, but the places are so limited that even though my predicted is AAA i'm panicking a little I hope I get something from them! Obviously I'd still be really happy doing Lit anywhere else I applied though Well, UCLan is my "if everything goes a bit pear-shaped with my Language A2" option-I'd still not mind going there and I've heard good things, but come onnnn Manchester
    Couldn't have explained how I feel in any better words myself. (Except Im in yr 12 atm, so applying next year, got my heart set on Manchester)
    Tell me if you get into Manchester! Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else know where they are going yet?

I am going to Loughborough for English Lit with a minor in American Lit....:woo: Just need a B in AS Sociology this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)
    Couldn't have explained how I feel in any better words myself. (Except Im in yr 12 atm, so applying next year, got my heart set on Manchester)
    Tell me if you get into Manchester! Good luck x
    Ah, I needed more luck than I had :p: Just got rejected today, unfortunately! Manchester is a fantastic place and an amazing course though (No bitterness towards it here, I'm just pining for it from afar now :o:) so I wish you the best of luck when your time to apply comes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by komachi)
    I'm not actually sure where Nottingham do exchanges to..hmmm. Dya think you're gonna firm Notts. then?
    They do some good Uni. exchanges, not fantastic, but it's alright =)
    Nope, I'm insuring it, I recently got an offer from Warwick (:love:), so I've firmed that! With the hopes of attending Columbia for my 3rd year! :yep:

How's your application been going, then?

ReputationRep:
    They do some good Uni. exchanges, not fantastic, but it's alright =)
    Nope, I'm insuring it, I recently got an offer from Warwick (:love:), so I've firmed that! With the hopes of attending Columbia for my 3rd year! :yep:

How's your application been going, then?
    Yeah I found the list and they've recently improved it by adding 3 new ones. None in California though so I'm a little bit gutted

Ah fair enough, Warwick's a great Uni, and going to Columbia would be even better! What are Warwick asking for grades-wise?

My application's pretty good, Nottingham's firmed and accomodation applications open tomorrow, so I'm hoping to be one of the first in with mine. And I have a Visit Day next week as well exciting stuff!

ReputationRep:
    I have offers for sussex, nottingham and uea. What do you guys think would be the best option? I have been round sussex and liked it but the buildings were pretty ugly. Going to nottingham next week, it looks a lot nicer but is it a good place to live (city wise.) The Nottingham american unis are v.poor as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by komachi)
    Yeah I found the list and they've recently improved it by adding 3 new ones. None in California though so I'm a little bit gutted
    Yeah, that's the only problem I found with it, and that it does have Uni's in NY, but not anywhere near NYC; so, that kind of put me off! :/

BUT, I have insured it!

Warwick gave me an 'ABB' offer, with an 'A' in any of my subjects, and Nottingham gave me 'AB' offer, with an 'A' in any of my subjects, too!

Have you added an insurance choice yet? =)

Good luck with the visit, hope it all goes wel! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theeggman)
    I have offers for sussex, nottingham and uea. What do you guys think would be the best option? I have been round sussex and liked it but the buildings were pretty ugly. Going to nottingham next week, it looks a lot nicer but is it a good place to live (city wise.) The Nottingham american unis are v.poor as well.
    I would go with either Nottingham or UEA (in that order)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    I would go with either Nottingham or UEA (in that order)
    UEA all the way!!!!

1.) It has better abroad options

2.) The course is amazing

3.) The faculty is a close-knit community, whereas at Nottingham I got the impression that they were all rather distant. I found it very difficult to approach them and ask important questions.

4.) The city of Norwich is lovely

I could go on forever, but I'm sure that would bore you lol

Hope these points help!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's the only problem I found with it, and that it does have Uni's in NY, but not anywhere near NYC; so, that kind of put me off! :/

BUT, I have insured it!

Warwick gave me an 'ABB' offer, with an 'A' in any of my subjects, and Nottingham gave me 'AB' offer, with an 'A' in any of my subjects, too!

Have you added an insurance choice yet? =)

Good luck with the visit, hope it all goes wel! :yep:
    Yeah I've put Leicester as my insurance, I was so torn between that one and Nottingham cos Leicester offer a year in Long Beach, CA :love: But I guess there's more to Uni than just the year out so I ended up picking Notts

Nottingham also offer an internship at Fox Studios in your second year for 8 weeks, so I'm definitely going for that

Thanks, I'm really excited to see it all! I applied for accomodation yesterday, and from the pictures it looks like the nicest haha. Should've probably looked around first... ah well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theeggman)
    I have offers for sussex, nottingham and uea.
    Nottingham or Sussex: in that order! (:

Nottingham is an amazing University, albeit the American Uni. choice isn't outstanding! It's also a Russel Group

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.