Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you an organ donor (after death)? Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you registered as an organ donor?
    Yes
    72.41%
    No
    17.24%
    No but only because I've never got round to it
    10.34%

ReputationRep:
    I just did it and was curious about how many of you alcoholic, irresponsible kids have.

If not, why? Religious? Selfish? Feel you drink so much alcohol/do so much/are so fat that you can't be bothered? Never remember?

It only took me a minute and I don't even need to get a card, it's all electronic these days. :ahee:

Giving blood doesn't count.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am. I won't need the organs once I'm dead, so I may as well use them to help someone else out. I don't understand why so many people aren't organ donors, especially when, as you say, it's so easy to sign up for.

ReputationRep:
    yup
    I carry my card everywhere

ReputationRep:
    Nope

No, why the **** should I let them cut me up when I die? Put all of me in a box, that's what I say. Let it all just rot away.

ReputationRep:
    No, because I've heard that if an organ donor is in a position where doctors need to work hard to save them after an accident or whatever, the doctors are less likely to because they'll know they can use the person's organs if they die, so there's more incentive to use their organs to save several other people than to save just one organ donor. Sounds pretty plausible to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie)
    No, because I've heard that if an organ donor is in a position where doctors need to work hard to save them after an accident or whatever, the doctors are less likely to because they'll know they can use the person's organs if they die, so there's more incentive to use their organs to save several other people than to save just one organ donor. Sounds pretty plausible to me.
    That's just a bunch of crap!

Yes, I am. My organs can help someone to get another chance to have a happy, healthy life and I won't need them when I'm dead, right? It's a big waste to be just buried :p:

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying the doctors will let you die if it'll be "hard work" because they looked you up, found you were an organ donor, so could give your organs to someone in an operation which doesn't have a 100% success rate either? In other words killing someone to possibly save another person? Not illegal at all.

Imagine the **** a doctor/nurse/team would get in if ever caught slacking off on his/her allocated patient. A lot.

And that allocated doctor would be one particularly allocated to you, one who likely has a specialty in your case, whatever it may be. Which I doubt would be one who deals in organ transplants.

(Original post by JR)
    No, why the **** should I let them cut me up when I die? Put all of me in a box, that's what I say. Let it all just rot away.
    And you said I was mean. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    no im not and i wont be, yes im selfish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    no im not and i wont be, yes im selfish
    You're not the only one. And it's nothing to be proud of. Maybe someday you'll need a transplantation and you'll find out why it's not good to be selfish :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    You're not the only one. And it's nothing to be proud of. Maybe someday you'll need a transplantation and you'll find out why it's not good to be selfish :p:

people are well within their right to keep their own organs (and yes i know they are dead and they are 'nt needed cause u iz dead') but thats not the point, i came into this world with them and i will be leaving with them

ReputationRep:
    yeeeeeeeeeee boi.

im not going to need them when im dead. if my dying can help someone else live then thats fantastic. its not like its going to hurt lol

ReputationRep:
    i imagine by the time most of us die they wont need organ donors any more anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    So you're saying the doctors will let you die if it'll be "hard work" because they looked you up, found you were an organ donor, so could give your organs to someone in an operation which doesn't have a 100% success rate either? In other words killing someone to possibly save another person? Not illegal at all.

Imagine the **** a doctor/nurse/team would get in if ever caught slacking off on his/her allocated patient. A lot.

And that allocated doctor would be one particularly allocated to you, one who likely has a specialty in your case, whatever it may be. Which I doubt would be one who deals in organ transplants.
    Surely it would appear on medical records given to a patient's doctor that they were an organ donor? I doubt the doctor would have to go to any effort to find that out. And the NHS is notoriously strapped for cash at the moment and I expect rather a lot's going on in our hospitals that shouldn't be. Why is it so unlikely that, rather than spending a lot of money on one patient, who might not even make a full recovery, they might decide there's nothing further they should do and turn their attention to helping others? It wouldn't even be a case of "slacking off" - doctors do have to make calls on whether or not to continue trying to save someone, and the knowledge that that someone is an organ donor could tip that call.

I really don't see this as such an outlandish suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it would appear on medical records given to a patient's doctor that they were an organ donor? I doubt the doctor would have to go to any effort to find that out. And the NHS is notoriously strapped for cash at the moment and I expect rather a lot's going on in our hospitals that shouldn't be. Why is it so unlikely that, rather than spending a lot of money on one patient, who might not even make a full recovery, they might decide there's nothing further they should do and turn their attention to helping others? It wouldn't even be a case of "slacking off" - doctors do have to make calls on whether or not to continue trying to save someone, and the knowledge that that someone is an organ donor could tip that call.

I really don't see this as such an outlandish suggestion.
    It's a typical myth. A worst-case-scneario (death), a suggestion about something that could happen involving something us 'general public' have no experience of. Even when told it's not true, the believer can just say "but it's possible!" and can spread the myth to others.

Besides, in the 16 years there has been organ donation here, and in other countries, where are the stories or one doctor, one nurse, revealing this?

You seriously think there's a conspiracy that a doctor will see that a patient can have an operation with a 20% chance of surviving, but then look at a form where it has ticked box next to 'organ donator' and go "let's kill 'em!" and let the harvesters have at them.

Also, on a personal/pride level, I'm sure the doctor would love to have yet another death to their name whilst informing the family that they're letting their daughter/son/mother/father/brother/sister die.

It's possible, but so are many conspiracy myths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    It's a typical myth. A worst-case-scneario (death), a suggestion about something that could happen involving something us 'general public' have no experience of. Even when told it's not true, the believer can just say "but it's possible!" and can spread the myth to others.

Besides, in the 16 years there has been organ donation here, and in other countries, where are the stories or one doctor, one nurse, revealing this?

You seriously think there's a conspiracy that a doctor will see that a patient can have an operation with a 20% chance of surviving, but then look at a form where it has ticked box next to 'organ donator' and go "let's kill 'em!" and let the harvesters have at them.

Also, on a personal/pride level, I'm sure the doctor would love to have yet another death to their name whilst informing the family that they're letting their daughter/son/mother/father/brother/sister die.

It's possible, but so are many conspiracy myths.
    But, at the end of the day, no matter how much you argue for/against a subject like this, it's down to personal decision. And it's pretty rude to call people selfish because of it; it's not exactly easy signing off your organs for some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    But, at the end of the day, no matter how much you argue for/against a subject like this, it's down to personal decision. And it's pretty rude to call people selfish because of it; it's not exactly easy signing off your organs for some.
    I like how you alluded that my posts were a fanatic argument pro-organ donation where I call people who don't "selfish".

Actually, no I don't.

Also, how dare you abuse the semi-colon.

For a final STFU: It is exactly easy to sign off your organs. If you want to do it, fill in an online form in 30 seconds; If you're doubtful or don't want to do it, you do nothing.

You can even choose which organs you do and don't want to donate.

ReputationRep:
    No I am not an organ donor and I don't plan to be one.

Organs make up a part of me, it doesn't feel right to part with them in death, It's quite unsettling knowing i'll be buried without the things which kept me alive in the first place. I don't want some random doctor when i'm dead to cut me up and empty me out.

The only thing i'll donate is blood not organs. Anywho most organs go to smokers and alcoholics anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poo_Inc)
    Anywho most organs go to smokers and alcoholics anyway.
    lolwut?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'll be donating my organs - my card's always in my purse, and my parents are aware that's what I want. Personally, I can't see why people wouldn't want to do this; I've read so many stories of "ordinary" people (i.e. not people who've f***ed up their organs of their own accord) whose lives have been saved by organ donors and you don't need them when you're gone after all. I'd quite like to see a system of presumed consent, where you opt out of the donor register rather than opt in. Each to their own though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.