Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I used to favour LSE over UCL, but recently i've heard the nightlife isn't too good and general student life is quite dull. Has anyone else heard this? I got 5A*'s, 4A's and 2B's at GCSE, and am doing History, Biology, Economics and Geology at A level, and am hoping for A's in all at AS and A* in Biology at A level. Do you think these grades are good enough, cause I know how competitive Law is at UCL! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    UCL is pretty amazing for nightlife, pretty much anything going on whenever you want. I know a lot of people from LSE and, whilst I don't want to stereotype at all, they don't seem to go out much at all. I can't say whether you have a chance because GCSEs are just a small factor, but yes, they look fine, doesn't mean you will/you won't get in.

ReputationRep:
    Very competitive but certainly possible with a very good personal statement, lnat and interview...apply as 1 of your 5 universities

ReputationRep:
    You've got as good a chance as any. Make sure your AS results are pretty flawless, that you have a really good personal statement and that your perform well on the LNAT.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think LSE Law is significantly less competitive than UCL Law anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say that;

Bsc Nightlife and Law

Sounds like an awesome degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebekaht)
    I used to favour LSE over UCL, but recently i've heard the nightlife isn't too good and general student life is quite dull. Has anyone else heard this? I got 5A*'s, 4A's and 2B's at GCSE, and am doing History, Biology, Economics and Geology at A level, and am hoping for A's in all at AS and A* in Biology at A level. Do you think these grades are good enough, cause I know how competitive Law is at UCL! Thank you
    I don't think law at LSE is any more/less competitive than at UCL... I'm a second year UCL lawyer, and UCL is the best! There's a law society and they organise lots of different social trips - xmas ball, easter ball, etc etc plus our freshers week lasts for 2 weeks, and the law freshers go everywhere! We went to France for a day trip, on a boat trip down the Thames, on the London Eye, paintballing, bowling. From what I've heard about LSE, the nightlife just isn't the same, at UCL the lawyers have a strong sense of community

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Songeuse)
    I don't think law at LSE is any more/less competitive than at UCL... I'm a second year UCL lawyer, and UCL is the best! There's a law society and they organise lots of different social trips - xmas ball, easter ball, etc etc plus our freshers week lasts for 2 weeks, and the law freshers go everywhere! We went to France for a day trip, on a boat trip down the Thames, on the London Eye, paintballing, bowling. From what I've heard about LSE, the nightlife just isn't the same, at UCL the lawyers have a strong sense of community
    :eek: That sounds awesome! I think I'm definitely firming now. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    :eek: That sounds awesome! I think I'm definitely firming now. :yep:
    It's a great university to study at :yep: one of the best/the best in the UK and the world! It's amazing and I'm a little upset that I've only got a year and a bit left!

ReputationRep:
    What everyone's been saying about UCL Law is making me very inclined to firm it immediately too =)

ReputationRep:
    LSE is a bit gash compared to UCL for nearly every single undergraduate subject there is tbh, LSE only excels for masters

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, your GCSEs/A-level subjects are looking far better than mine were, so you have every chance of getting in.

Also, I can't comment on LSE, but people studying law at UCL definitely know how to have a good time (especially those doing the Law with Nightlife Studies programme)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your help! definitely going put this as my first choice rather than LSE. Was a bit worried two because i did two sciences rather than another essay subject... do you think this could limit my chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebekaht)
    Thank you for all your help! definitely going put this as my first choice rather than LSE. Was a bit worried two because i did two sciences rather than another essay subject... do you think this could limit my chances?
    I don't think so. I did Music Technology, which I'm sure is considered by everyone here to be a complete mickey mouse subject (although actually it's pretty challenging. so there :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Hey..I just found this thread and I wanted to ask:

I am considering applying to UCL for Law in 2011. However, my AS results were not as good as predicted but I am re-sitting a few modules. I think I will get the predicted As for A2 though.
    Do UCL take into account AS resits? Do you think I have a fair shot? I am doing English Literature, Biology, Psychology, Spanish and AS Math and AS English Language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spain'93)
    Hey..I just found this thread and I wanted to ask:

I am considering applying to UCL for Law in 2011. However, my AS results were not as good as predicted but I am re-sitting a few modules. I think I will get the predicted As for A2 though.
    Do UCL take into account AS resits? Do you think I have a fair shot? I am doing English Literature, Biology, Psychology, Spanish and AS Math and AS English Language.
    Hi, it really depends on how "bad" your ASs were, and whether your college will predict you 3 As at least. What are your GCSEs like? Also - why are you taking 2 ASs this year as well as the A2s?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, it really depends on how "bad" your ASs were, and whether your college will predict you 3 As at least. What are your GCSEs like? Also - why are you taking 2 ASs this year as well as the A2s?
    Well, at AS level, I got an ABBCD (C in Math and D in Biology respectively. However, I am re-sitting two modules in both subjects and am aiming to bring it up to an A since I was off an A/B only by a few marks in those modules). And at IGCSE's I got 2A*, 2As, 2Bs and a C.
    I think I will be predicted the AAA because my teachers know what I am capable of. The AS Math is because I dropped math this year and my school do 1.5 A Levels of English. A Level literature along with AS Level Language.

I am hoping to convince them with a good personal statement. Do you think I have a shot though or am I wasting an application? and does the LNAT play a MAJOR role in deciding? I haven't taken it yet and I am freaking out.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Well, at AS level, I got an ABBCD (C in Math and D in Biology respectively. However, I am re-sitting two modules in both subjects and am aiming to bring it up to an A since I was off an A/B only by a few marks in those modules). And at IGCSE's I got 2A*, 2As, 2Bs and a C.
    I think I will be predicted the AAA because my teachers know what I am capable of. The AS Math is because I dropped math this year and my school do 1.5 A Levels of English. A Level literature along with AS Level Language.

I am hoping to convince them with a good personal statement. Do you think I have a shot though or am I wasting an application? and does the LNAT play a MAJOR role in deciding? I haven't taken it yet and I am freaking out.

Thank you!
    The LNAT plays a significant but not MAJOR part in your application. Do you have good work experience? Also - why were your AS grades so low compared to your predictions? Do you have a good reason for them?

I'm going to be very honest with you - do you really think you can get AAA - A2 year is harder than AS year, and you need to boost your grades up from 2 Bs to 2 As... is it actually possible, because if not that you really don't stand a chance. Your GCSEs are average really, and if you don't have a reason for the AS grades (eg. illness, broken arm before the exams etc etc) then you might not fare so well against other people who have better GCSEs and better ASs and also predictions of A*s now...

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but it's going to be harder with the into of A*s, people will have better predictions than AAA... so have a think about whether it's going to be realistic for you to achieve AAA... if not, then maybe don't apply to UCL.

ReputationRep:
    The LNAT plays a significant but not MAJOR part in your application. Do you have good work experience? Also - why were your AS grades so low compared to your predictions? Do you have a good reason for them?

I'm going to be very honest with you - do you really think you can get AAA - A2 year is harder than AS year, and you need to boost your grades up from 2 Bs to 2 As... is it actually possible, because if not that you really don't stand a chance. Your GCSEs are average really, and if you don't have a reason for the AS grades (eg. illness, broken arm before the exams etc etc) then you might not fare so well against other people who have better GCSEs and better ASs and also predictions of A*s now...

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but it's going to be harder with the into of A*s, people will have better predictions than AAA... so have a think about whether it's going to be realistic for you to achieve AAA... if not, then maybe don't apply to UCL.

You have a point... I guess I'm going to need to ask my teachers about this. However, does UCL take into consideration that I am re-sitting modules or do they just frown upon it and favour someone with no re-sits? I've heard that at least when re-sitting, you show determination to do better and universities appreciate that.

Another question was: If I take my LNAT exam before sending my application, and if, unfortunately, I do not do so well in my LNAT, can I just change my university choices or do they somehow get send to the ones I want to apply to (even though I haven't sent them my application yet)?

Thanks for your advice I'm going to work extremely hard this year and if I am not mistaken, because my B's are high B's, an A this year is very possible so long as I work my butt off for it! I hope UCL do give chances to everyone as I heard they do...

ReputationRep:
    You have a point... I guess I'm going to need to ask my teachers about this. However, does UCL take into consideration that I am re-sitting modules or do they just frown upon it and favour someone with no re-sits? I've heard that at least when re-sitting, you show determination to do better and universities appreciate that.

Another question was: If I take my LNAT exam before sending my application, and if, unfortunately, I do not do so well in my LNAT, can I just change my university choices or do they somehow get send to the ones I want to apply to (even though I haven't sent them my application yet)?

Thanks for your advice I'm going to work extremely hard this year and if I am not mistaken, because my B's are high B's, an A this year is very possible so long as I work my butt off for it! I hope UCL do give chances to everyone as I heard they do...
    Re: LNAT: you get the results on the 31st January 2011, so no, by the time you've done the test and received the results from the LNAT, you will not be able to change your university choices by then. I guess you could guess whether it went well and maybe change - but that would be a bit risky tbh because you wouldn't know for sure till 31st January.

I would chat to your teachers and your careers advisor. If your teachers think that you definitely have a good chance of an A grade or higher, then apply, but make sure you have an insurance choice of ABB just in case. I'm not sure how UCL regard re-sits, I never did any, but I do know other people who did... good luck anyway!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.