Turn on thread page Beta

Dunno what to DO with my life watch

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really know where to post this, but anyway, basically I'm just so confused as to what I want to do with my life. At the moment I'm doing A levels and planning to go to university, then get a job i guess..but even just writing this out makes me think, ugh. I know if I don't, I'll basically just be sitting here on benefits and don't really want that kind of lifestyle either. Neither appeal to me. Other options, like having a baby or looking for a job now just don't appeal to me either. Nothing does. I'm not depressed, I don't think, but I just feel nothing, really. Like I'm floating along, not knowing where I'm going - and okay, I know most people don't know where their life's headed or whatever - but seriously at the end of every day I feel it was so pointless, and joining the whole rat race of uni applications/getting a job etc just seriously bores me, to be quite honest. I don't even know what I want anyone to say, and I guess TSR isn't the guess place to post this since people on here tend to be students lol but still.

ReputationRep:
    join the club

ReputationRep:
    Stop complaining would be a start. Just get on with things.

ReputationRep:
    join the club...just take life one step at a time, thinking only one or two steps at a time...and see which direction your life takes you...

ReputationRep:
    This problem is amplified if you are male. Don't worry your pretty head about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same, I'm just going with it and see where I end up, I'm at Uni now.

ReputationRep:
    try and be happy whatever you do. i mean life should be about one's happiness even if you're living of benefits/getting a job in morribobs...who cares as long as you're internally happy? at the end of the day we all die anyway but like yeah..just maybe don't stress about it too much, see what comes your way and go with it/follow your interests, etc. don't stress over it too much/compare yourself to those around you....i am having doubts about this whole uni thing tbh, i mean happiness comes in other forms that being top at cambridge. simply having love, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel like you are actually living much? The problem with all this rat race stuff is that it is a bit empty at the end of the day... I mean you can make it mean stuff if you want it to, but I think you're actually being quite perceptive with how you're viewing life.

Thing is, you kind of have to go through the motions sometimes... just so you find yourself in new situations and give yourself opportunities. And especially when you don't know what you want to do, you have to accept that its not going to come to you straight away, there might have to be a fair amount of bumbling along before you hit something that actually grabs you.

Have you thought about gap year/travelling before uni? Would involve getting a job for a few months to pay for it but maybe what you need is a bit of time and space away from it all to get your head clear and get a better perspective on it all. It really helps sometimes removing yourself from a situation to be able to see it more clearly.

Anyway feel free to pm me if you want to chat about stuff... but I genuinely think that you should be glad you are having these thoughts. Especially at your age (not to sound patronising cos I'm not that much older!!). People like you break moulds and have great lives. You just need to figure out a way of integrating living life with functioning in society.

Big up x

ReputationRep:
    i think you should just wap out a load of prospectuses and think deeply about what you enjoy and what your good at. write a list of pros and cons if necessary. sorted.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.