Turn on thread page Beta

moving into a flat alone ....... watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I really like living on my own

Pros: Own space, you can have everything as tidy/messy as you want, only cleaning up after yourself, the kitchen/bathroom is never being used when you want it, no housemates playing loud music at 3am.

Cons: Expensive, might feel lonely, you're responsible for everything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to be getting a flat of my own in a few months. Lack of a social life isn't really an issue, I don't have much of one as it is. Well I do, but it usually involves spending the weekend in another part of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    Pro's

You can walk out of shower naked
    You can dance around how you want to dress
    You can sing all night long
    You can have your happy time how you want it when you want it
    You can have the fridge all to yourself, stock up like several months worth in that freezer of yours, thats the paradise of big fridges
    You can work in silent when revising
    You can pump up the music loud as you want so this doesn't distract other people (well not loud to the point neighbours can hear it)
    You don't have to clean other peoples dishes and pots, pans
    You can clean your own stuff and your stuff only
    You can be the host of all parties
    You can actually bring your close friends around (maybe from home)
    You can do lots of things alone

Cons
    It may be lonely with no company but if that doesn't bother you, its okay. As long you have friends on your course, some outside your course, and majority at home, its okay. At the end of day, 3rd year is the final year (hopefully) and well, lets say..you want to graduate with a 2:1 or 1. Hence living alone may be good way to achieve that, course with discipline and time.

Money

Those are the two cons, money and no company.

E.g. utility bills will be more for you by yourself and you pay what you use. So depending how much electricity you use or how efficient then it should not be a problem. Most can do it in £15 per month on electricity by being efficient. Just find a right electricity supplier for you thats cheap per units and reliable service and good too.

Internet, is a fixed cost so you will pay more if you do decidie to get one of those big bundle packages. e.g. 20MB broadband and unlimited downloads *course its not unlimited*

Check your area how fast it can cope, our area can hold 9MB and we got 20MB broadband, see how much waste of money that is.

Any unforeseen circumstances like leaks, you have to pay alot alone for damages and as for burgulary, well thats another question. Just make sure the house is secure and has no history of burgulary with either the landlord / agency. Check the area on the crimes.
    thanks for taking time to write that out i will consider it

im gearing more to moving in alone it sounds more appealing. the only cons they seem to be is money and lonliness unles there is anything lse ....

ReputationRep:
    I live with my bf... and if he's not here I go and stay with my parents because I don't like sleeping here without him... I get too scared haha and it doesn't feel "right" without him.

But, I used to live alone before in different countries... one of them I loved it, the other time not so much. Neither of those times was I scared though, weird... =/

If it's a nice flat, you want to be alone more and can afford it, why not? You can always invite mates over and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I would really love to be able to get a flat on my own, but I can't find anything financially realistic for me really, do you guys have a lot of money saved from a job or something? How much are you paying for rent/bills etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoody555)
    I live alone. I've turned out fine. :nothing:
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo i just listened to your spoiler! that is fukin maaaaaaaaaddd! oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo.............. .. i hope they got there facts right!lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tweety_2479)
    thanks for taking time to write that out i will consider it

im gearing more to moving in alone it sounds more appealing. the only cons they seem to be is money and lonliness unles there is anything lse ....
    and security unless your capable of protecting yourself than its all good

Show them how tweety_2479 role

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    I'm in a similar situation, although I have my own flat by choice rather than necessity - my friends are great, but I'd kill them if I had to live with them. Plus they live just around the corner anyway (and I can't get rid of them half the bloody time :rolleyes:)

Pros
    - You are your own master, basically - do what you want, when you want.
    - Don't have to share bathroom or kitchen, and associated mess

Cons
    - Generally, you'll have to pay a slight premium on your own - rent, bills, TV licence etc. It all adds up, but then again I've got a really good flat and I'm actually paying ever so slightly less than I did in shared accommodation last year.
    - Obviously you'll be on your own! You've said that you enjoy your own company, but just be 100% sure that you'll be OK night after night. I have no problems with this, but I'm sure a lot of others would.
    - It's very easy to slip into social isolation. You have to put the extra effort in to keep up your social life.

Basically, if you can afford it and are OK with being on your own, go for it. I have no regrets whatsoever, and am already looking to extend my tenancy to cover my final year!
    This. You have to be like this guy. Self- confidence is key living by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Is there no chance of you finding a group of people who need somebody else? It may be a bit strange living with almost-complete strangers, but it can work out really well and there are nearly always groups of people needing an extra person or two.

Apart from that, is there any possibility of moving back into halls?

I don't mean to poo-poo on your living alone idea, but don't think that just because you haven't got a decent group of friends to live with, you automatically have to live on your own.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.