Turn on thread page Beta

Are these symptoms of bipolar? watch

Im 22, female and am supposed to be starting a nursing diploma this April at a uni in Ireland but my mind is all confused I have no idea how I'l cope. Ive never had a full time job Ive just worked now and again voluntary on different wards but have quit colleges in the past cause I got really anxious everyday. Another thing is my sleeping pattern for years now Ive slept in the day and been awake all night because during the day I just feel anxious/on edge when I try to change it to normal. I just don't feel like Im in reality or part of society its like ive lived in my own world for years.

Its weird but some nights I'l be crying in a 'doomed' state of mind and thinking 'theres no way I can do this course or any job I don't want to be part of society im so fed up'. Yet about an hour later I'l be feeling happy. When I wake up some days I'l be looking forward to moving into accomodation and making new friends. Then my mood will change and I'l think 'f*** it I can't be bothered will all the professionalism, putting an act on in front of patients malarky'. I realise that people see me as pathetic and immature but I feel as though this course is my last chance to be normal and make something of myself.

I just wanted some advice I can't see myself doing many other jobs. My main passion really is water rafting and exersise but there are not many stable easy to get jobs in this area. Another thing is my parents and brother think that Im playing up now as an excuse to get out of it and Im not sure if I agree with them, I think that Im scared of quiting so don't want to start. I want to give uni a go and realise how hard and time consuming nursing courses are Im prepared to put in the work but its just my anxious feelings that hold me back Im not taking medication or anything though I don't think Im bad enough it might just be my personality.
    Also, and this might sound pathetic again, but Im wondering if I have symptoms of bipolar? Or are my mood changes a result of low confidence, not having friends/a social life etc?

ReputationRep:
    i don't know. ask a doctor or NHS Direct.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a bad case of anxiety more than anything else. See your doctor about it, maybe counselling would help.

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt sound like bipolar...sounds like general hormonal mood swings to be honest! Bipolar highs are incredibly euphoric, bordering on delusional.

Sounds like maybe your confidence is taking a battering. We all have days where we feel like 'right yes lets do this!!' and then days where we really question ourselves and our abilities. Just keep plodding through you WILL get through it and you ARE capable.

Do go and see a doctor though or do some general reading up on ways to deal with anxiety problems.

ReputationRep:
    Just play the ******* game.

check out if you have borderline personallity x

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Im 22, female and am supposed to be starting a nursing diploma this April at a uni in Ireland but my mind is all confused I have no idea how I'l cope. Ive never had a full time job Ive just worked now and again voluntary on different wards but have quit colleges in the past cause I got really anxious everyday. Another thing is my sleeping pattern for years now Ive slept in the day and been awake all night because during the day I just feel anxious/on edge when I try to change it to normal. I just don't feel like Im in reality or part of society its like ive lived in my own world for years.

Its weird but some nights I'l be crying in a 'doomed' state of mind and thinking 'theres no way I can do this course or any job I don't want to be part of society im so fed up'. Yet about an hour later I'l be feeling happy. When I wake up some days I'l be looking forward to moving into accomodation and making new friends. Then my mood will change and I'l think 'f*** it I can't be bothered will all the professionalism, putting an act on in front of patients malarky'. I realise that people see me as pathetic and immature but I feel as though this course is my last chance to be normal and make something of myself.

I just wanted some advice I can't see myself doing many other jobs. My main passion really is water rafting and exersise but there are not many stable easy to get jobs in this area. Another thing is my parents and brother think that Im playing up now as an excuse to get out of it and Im not sure if I agree with them, I think that Im scared of quiting so don't want to start. I want to give uni a go and realise how hard and time consuming nursing courses are Im prepared to put in the work but its just my anxious feelings that hold me back Im not taking medication or anything though I don't think Im bad enough it might just be my personality.
    Also, and this might sound pathetic again, but Im wondering if I have symptoms of bipolar? Or are my mood changes a result of low confidence, not having friends/a social life etc?
    Hi there, i dont know but i can just imagine how terrible you feel. I can say that because my brother had a mental disorder too and it was a horrible horrible time for the whole family, especially my brother. Whatever it is, please go and see someone, ie gp because i know how it can make a difference, for the better.

even if it isnt a mental disorder, you should slowly introduce yourself back to society because feeling lonely and isolated is an awful feeling and makes everything worse. maybe talking about your anxieties, are you anxious that people will think this, this, that about you?

But good luck and i hope you will get your support, regardless of your mental health. xxxxx

Hi there, i dont know but i can just imagine how terrible you feel. I can say that because my brother had a mental disorder too and it was a horrible horrible time for the whole family, especially my brother. Whatever it is, please go and see someone, ie gp because i know how it can make a difference, for the better.

even if it isnt a mental disorder, you should slowly introduce yourself back to society because feeling lonely and isolated is an awful feeling and makes everything worse. maybe talking about your anxieties, are you anxious that people will think this, this, that about you?

But good luck and i hope you will get your support, regardless of your mental health. xxxxx
    that post touched me,your a good person :hugwings: x

(Original post by missrosiex)
    check out if you have borderline personallity x
    Ive just done a mental health quiz I got a low result for 'borederline' and very high result for 'avoidant'.

Ive been to the gp a few times about anxiety in the last few years but don't want to take medication because I don't think I need it, as of yet anyway. See anyone who had my lifestyle (no friends, not going out, daydreaming all the time) would probably not be in the best of mental health either so im not sure if Ive brought it on myself. I don't know if all this is because Ive been stuck in a rut for years, anxious and have lacked determination/direction in life. I think theres a difference between psychological distress and mental illness but I don't know I'l start the course and find out lol.

Thanks for the replies Ive read them all
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :doctor: The best thing you can do, as others have said, is to go see a doctor, without having any pre-conceived ideas about what conditions you may or may not have. It's the only way you'll get good accurate advice.

Ive just done a mental health quiz I got a low result for 'borederline' and very high result for 'avoidant'.

Ive been to the gp a few times about anxiety in the last few years but don't want to take medication because I don't think I need it, as of yet anyway. See anyone who had my lifestyle (no friends, not going out, daydreaming all the time) would probably not be in the best of mental health either so im not sure if Ive brought it on myself. I don't know if all this is because Ive been stuck in a rut for years, anxious and have lacked determination/direction in life. I think theres a difference between psychological distress and mental illness but I don't know I'l start the course and find out lol.

Thanks for the replies Ive read them all
    good luck you will sort all this out xx :hugs:

person aboves right though i definetly think:yep: ,just going to the doctor,no preconcieved ideas & just being completely honest about how your feeling xx

ReputationRep:

I would suggest that you do please go and start that nursing course in April as it will seriously be a new beginning for you once you have got here and start talking to other students. And for your sleeping patterns i recently discovered that these are usually mainly caused on by being stressed out about life and worrying too much, which am guessing that you must be but once you start getting direction and have something to hold onto you will start to go bed and sleep at normal hours. for example when you do college you will attend lectures during the day and at the end of the day you will be tired which means that you begin to sleep during the nights instead of day times. hope that helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.