Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

can the prime minister sack a minister not in his party? Watch

ReputationRep:
    it says in my text book "the prime minister's power to hire and fire extends to the cabinet and to other ministers." does this mean he could fire shadow ministers etc?

ReputationRep:
    No, the PM has no power over anyone in the Opposition. By "other ministers", it's most likely referring to Ministers of State or junior ministers that basically act as deputies to Secretaries of State (who are main members of the cabinet).

A prime example is Sadiq Khan, who is Minister of State for Transport (and thus appointed by the PM) and acts as deputy to the Secretary of State for Transport, Lord Adonis.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by anna_disraeli)
    it says in my text book "the prime minister's power to hire and fire extends to the cabinet and to other ministers." does this mean he could fire shadow ministers etc?
    No, as shadow ministers are not actually ministers with powers, just the opposition's people who would be ministers if they were in power.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Shadow ministers are not in Her Majesty's Government (the PM, the Cabinet and all junior ministers), so he has no power to sack them. Only the Leader of the Opposition can sack shadow ministers.

ReputationRep:
    Not for Shadow ministers, no. For a coalition government, I'm not sure. If a coalition prime minister dismissed a minister from a different party, suffice to say that the coalition government would very likely collapse, and the prime minister's authority and parliamentary power would go down with it.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else want to reiterate the word 'no'?

(Original post by Drew.)
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew.)
    Yes.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    A Shadow Minister isn't a minister... you might as well call them 'the opposition spokesperson for x'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Not for Shadow ministers, no. For a coalition government, I'm not sure. If a coalition prime minister dismissed a minister from a different party, suffice to say that the coalition government would very likely collapse, and the prime minister's authority and parliamentary power would go down with it.
    They still have the ability to remove/change them.

I don't think changing the 'coalition' minister for the north west, but bringing in 'coalition' cabinet minister for transport would make a coalition collapse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    They still have the ability to remove/change them.

I don't think changing the 'coalition' minister for the north west, but bringing in 'coalition' cabinet minister for transport would make a coalition collapse.
    They probably wouldn't be able to that without coalition approval. It would still be political fiddling which might change the balance of power, based on political personalities.

ReputationRep:
    LOL! Of course not. It simply means he can fire non cabinet ministers.

ReputationRep:
    Nein.

ReputationRep:
    In a word - Yes.

This is the usual case because in the usual outcome of Majority Party Government, he can choose to appoint an opposition member as a minister and freely dispose of them as he sees fit.

If, however, his party is in a minority and depends on the other party for survival (in the event of a Coalition Government), then the answer is a firm no.

Circumstancial. Simply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Beall)
    In a word - Yes.

This is the usual case because in the usual outcome of Majority Party Government, he can choose to appoint an opposition member as a minister and freely dispose of them as he sees fit.

If, however, his party is in a minority and depends on the other party for survival (in the event of a Coalition Government), then the answer is a firm no.

Circumstancial. Simply.
    Sorry, run past me how the PM can sack a Shadow Minister from being a Shadow Minister again...?

ReputationRep:
    In a word - Yes.
    I admire the originality of your response, but it's utter twaddle.

ReputationRep:
    The Prime Minister appoints all ministers and secretaries of state of Government.
    The Prime Minister DOES NOT appoint shadow ministers/spokesman.
    However, the Prime Minister can appoint ministers from any party if he so chooses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    However, the Prime Minister can appoint ministers from any party if he so chooses.
    Only if they are a member of the house of commons or lords.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Sorry, run past me how the PM can sack a Shadow Minister from being a Shadow Minister again...?
    It is quite simple.

IF the PRIME MINISTER APPOINTS (trying to make this as SIMPLE as possible) an OPPOSITION MEMBER to the GOVERNMENT (as in the Coalition Government of Winston Churchill), he can freely FIRE THEM if his own PARTY is in a MAJORITY.

IF HIS PARTY IS PART OF A COALITION, HE WILL BE BARRED FROM SACKING SUCH A MEMBER BECAUSE OF THE AGREEMENT, BECAUSE IF HE DOES SO THE COALITION WILL COLLAPSE!

I believe the question was about Ministers, not Shadow Ministers. Dafty.

ReputationRep:
    I believe the question was about Ministers, not Shadow Ministers. Dafty.
    Is that because you didn't read the OP?

'does this mean he could fire shadow ministers etc?'

Being called dafty from you is a compliment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.