Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

can the prime minister sack a minister not in his party? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Only if they are a member of the house of commons or lords.
    I know -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I know -_-
    Yes I know but everything you said was already in the thread... you didn't add anything to the party.

I could have been really pedantic and said the Queen does the appionting on the advise of the PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yes I know but everything you said was already in the thread... you didn't add anything to the party.

I could have been really pedantic and said the Queen does the appionting on the advise of the PM.
    To be honest, I didn't read any previous replies.

ReputationRep:
    The question, if I am not mistaken, is about MINISTERS from another party. IF he chooses to appoint a member of the opposition as a Government Minister, he is quite justified in firing him as he controls the majority party. Could be limited in a Minority Government.

The question does not refer to SHADOW MINISTERS. It only refers to MINISTERS.

In the example of the National Government, Stanley Baldwin was able to replace MacDonald with ease because his party held around 70% of the seats with 55% of the vote. And likewise, the Conservatives could have rid their Government of Labour and Liberal members if they wanted to because of the sheer size of their majority (the biggest in the 20th century, and to this day). If they had less than 50% of the seats, they would have been unable to remove Ministers who belong to another party.

If, however, this question (as many foolishly believe) refers to Shadow Ministers then no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Beall)
    If, however, this question (as many foolishly believe) refers to Shadow Ministers then no.
    You didn't bother reading the OP did you? Just the title right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.