Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Has western society influenced Indian cultures? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know the teenagers of today who are of Indian origin won't blame anything on the western way of life because it's seen to be the norm but consider some decades ago when each one of us valued ourself and our chastity.

Western society imposes the following:
    - Early age sex, often underage due to peer pressure
    - Alcoholism (leading to binge drinking) from a young age (the British take pride in wine making and consuming) due to peer pressure
    - Smoking from an early age due to peer pressure
    - Moving out/running away from home/eloping with partner as a result of social isolation
    - Taking on drugs at an early age due to peer pressure
    - Getting into relationships at an early age due to peer pressure
    - Huge negative media effects

Do you think western society has shaped your way of living?

ReputationRep:
    No - I'm indian and I was born here....
    - I dont believe in sex before marriage
    - I'm not an alcoholic nor do I drink
    - I dont smoke, and I never will
    - I dont feel the need to ever run away from home or with a partner
    - I dont take drugs and never will
    - Nothing wrong with getting into relationships at an early age - BETTER THAN TO GET MARRIED AT 14 AND START POPPING OUT BABIES AT 15 ALL THE WAY UP TO 50 IN INDIA
    - Media does not influence me

If you think western Indians are bad, go see Mumbai then make your generalisations =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKin2U)
    - Nothing wrong with getting into relationships at an early age - BETTER THAN TO GET MARRIED AT 14 AND START POPPING OUT BABIES AT 15 ALL THE WAY UP TO 50 IN INDIA

If you think western Indians are bad, go see Mumbai then make your generalisations =)
    :five:

On every single point.

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Agree with CKin2U.

Nor do I buy into this 'Peer Pressure' nonsense. You do something because a part of you actually wants to do it, do not go blaming others for it.

If you have a strong and solid upbringing then you are likely to drift away from your cultural values. However, in majority of the cases, both here and In sub-continental countries, the family system is collapsing.

Both parents working, kids do not get enough attention at home so they seek to be accepted outside and parents have no idea what the kids get up to because they are too busy making money. There is nothing wrong with both husband and wife working, but they have a responsibility towards their kids as well.

No one puts a gun to your head and tells you to follow the 'western' culture. It is their way of life and it suits them perfectly well, do not expect them to change their way of living because some people are too weak and give into temptations.

ReputationRep:

Mumbai is corrupted by bollywood which in turn is influenced by hollywood..

But hats off to you, I stand bowing before you. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

On every single point.

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I respect India as a culture, but all societies possess good and negative points.

In the UK, for one, there are not 100 million persons labelled as "broken".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MigraineSkank)
    I know the teenagers of today who are of Indian origin won't blame anything on the western way of life because it's seen to be the norm but consider some decades ago when each one of us valued ourself and our chastity.

- Alcoholism (leading to binge drinking) from a young age (the British take pride in wine making and consuming) due to peer pressure
    - Moving out/running away from home/eloping with partner as a result of social isolation

I think you forgot to mention peer pressure.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

ReputationRep:

You say "- Media does not influence you"

Get your head out your ass, you stupid woman!
    The media influences every one to smaller or larger extent.

Only way the media never influence you is if you never read the papers or watch Tv.

Stop giving it...oooo I am so strong minded crap.

ReputationRep:
    ermz what the hek to all this peer pressure bs! dont i have my own brain much?

i disagree with most your points, for me they dont equate to self worth/ value. ie. your not a crappy person with no cultural identity if you have sex before your married. and how is drinking a british thing? nearly every singh i know has their numero uno hobby as getting wrecked. i think western society gives indians the freedom to make their own choices and values, the way we live now is most likely what we've always wanted to do. and really is there no sex/drugs/alcohol in india? i really dont recall being pressured into running away from home as 'imposed by western society' lolz.

ReputationRep:
    Some Indians do act in that way but there a lot who don't really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyappleie)
    wot a flop.
    Yea your parents must have been cousins, for you to end up with a nose and face like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyappleie)
    ermz what the hek to all this peer pressure bs! dont i have my own brain much?

i disagree with most your points, for me they dont equate to self worth/ value. ie. your not a crappy person with no cultural identity if you have sex before your married. and how is drinking a british thing? nearly every singh i know has their numero uno hobby as getting wrecked. i think western society gives indians the freedom to make their own choices and values, the way we live now is most likely what we've always wanted to do. and really is there no sex/drugs/alcohol in india? i really dont recall being pressured into running away from home as 'imposed by western society' lolz.
    Learn some grammar! I won't argue at this moment in time as it won't be a fruitful argument because there's not much to argue about from your post.

Some points:
    - I didn't say these things aren't happening in India, on the contrary, India is being influenced into it by the westerner's lifestyle
    - Check the demographics of India, 80% are Hindu and Hinduism teaches no sex before marriage, so unless you follow the religion, then you're ok to think what you want of it.
    - Many hollywood movies/soaps glamorize youths running away from home
    - Virginity was a western adapted concept and so was the invention of condoms (vis-à-vis promisciouty in Britian).

ReputationRep:
    Learn some grammar! I won't argue at this moment in time as it won't be a fruitful argument because there's not much to argue about from your post.

Some points:
    - I didn't say these things aren't happening in India, on the contrary, India is being influenced into it by the westerner's lifestyle
    - Check the demographics of India, 80% are Hindu and Hinduism teaches no sex before marriage, so unless you follow the religion, then you're ok to think what you want of it.
    - Many hollywood movies/soaps glamorize youths running away from home
    - Virginity was a western adapted concept and so was the invention of condoms (vis-à-vis promisciouty in Britian).
    There are sooo many points that can be deconstructed here.

Firstly, 'Western' (British? American?) society doesn't IMPOSE anything. The whole point is that it is pluralist (like Indian society) unlike say, certain Arab societies which are avowedly MONOcultural. India is a very multicultural place so there isn't necessarily a 'norm'.

The average age of first sexual intercourse is probably the same in India as in the UK (if not lower). It will probably vary across social classes. The average age at which a person marries in India is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than in the UK. Also, Hinduism (in the form of the Kama Sutra) does suggest that males should be 'trained in satisfying their wife/wives' prior to marriage. This will obviously involve them engaging in sex prior to marriage!

Also, how is smoking 'encouraged' in the West? Surely rates of smoking are lower in Western European countries than in most other countries on the planet?!?! Smoking is encouraged in some Arab countries (such as Egypt - where over 65% of the male population smoke regularly). I'm sure smoking is more prevalent amongst Indian men (relative to say, Scandinavian men) as a percentage.

What do you mean by 'running away from home' in this instance? 'Running away' as a child under 18 is pretty rare in the UK, and is probably the same in India. Of course eventually many people leave home to go to university, or relocate for employment purposes, but surely this is common amongst the Indian middle classes too? Also, I understand that the extended family may play a greater role in Indian/Mediterranean cultures than in the UK, but with rising house prices in the UK it has become much more common for more generations to be living under the same roof in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    India and its culture is corrupt in itself

ReputationRep:
    Its starting to now but not to the same extent as other parts of Asia like Thailand or Japan. Foreign cuisine or music has yet to really penetrate India.

In india its not uncommon to sell off ones daughter into prostitution in order to support the rest of the family
    Alcohol and alcoholism existed in India hundreds of years before western civilisation arrived.
    Indian literature and films have had hapless lovers and feuding families for many years. Its not a western thing.
    Cocaine originates from South America. Opium and heroin from the far east. Nuff said.
    Indians are married off to relatives before they hit puberty.

we can all make stereotypes can't we.

ReputationRep:
    yeah certainly!
    this is already the case for some british indians.
    n it's started to happen in India right now.
    They think it's cool!

shame really!

(Original post by Media student)
    India and its culture is corrupt in itself

:O :O
    What are you on aboutttttt?

ReputationRep:
    That's right, boys and girls, Western culture is bad and wrong and Indian culture is good and virtuous.

I've been strongly influenced by Western culture, just not limited to what you describe.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.