Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it hard to learn the guitar Watch

ReputationRep:
    basically i'm 18 nearly 19 and i really want to learn to play the guitar, if i spend about 30 mins a day will i get anywhere in say 3 months

ReputationRep:
    Where is "anywhere"? You'd be able to play quite a few chords possibly, and so some simple strumming songs and whatnot. But my tentative answer would be, er, probably not.

If you don't want to spend anymore than thirty minutes a day however, I wouldn't bother starting at all.

(It's not a hard instrument to learn though, no.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DSC)
    basically i'm 18 nearly 19 and i really want to learn to play the guitar, if i spend about 30 mins a day will i get anywhere in say 3 months
    yeah think so, you'll make a good start anyway - but you won't turn into eric clapton suddenly overnight - its the trickiest instrument i think - but so so worth it - and if you like it you'll end up spending more than half an hour without realising it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DSC)
    We don't know that, you don't know that
    I think 30 mins a day is not enough if you really want to learn to play the guitar. And I say this from my own experience.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The basics are difficult to pick up. It's very strange trying to coordinate your hands, and pressing down strings/picking strings requires a fair bit of practice to sound good.
    That said, once you've got the basics down it's plain sailing, until you try to learn sweep picking or advanced tapping *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    ok 30 mins is not enough but i'll do that and all my spare time. wish me luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    The basics are difficult to pick up. It's very strange trying to coordinate your hands, and pressing down strings/picking strings requires a fair bit of practice to sound good.
    That said, once you've got the basics down it's plain sailing, until you try to learn sweep picking or advanced tapping *shudders*
    Sweep picking is evil, every few months I come back to it and will spend a few days trying to learn it but a good technique still alludes me. (I have been playing for 5/6 years now). Any type of tapping isn't that bad at all.

If every day you spent 30 minutes really practicing then yes, you will definately get somewhere but you will get there ALOT quicker if every other day you spent an extra 30mins - 1 hour playing. Its quite a steep learning curve, but if you practice like I said you will start seeing a sudden very quick improvement after about 3-6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Where is "anywhere"? You'd be able to play quite a few chords possibly, and so some simple strumming songs and whatnot. But my tentative answer would be, er, probably not.

If you don't want to spend anymore than thirty minutes a day however, I wouldn't bother starting at all.

(It's not a hard instrument to learn though, no.)
    That really depends on how far you want to take it. Its not hard in the fact that many songs can be played with a few chords but there is a whole new level (think eddie vanhalen, blues or any classical guitar) which makes it far more difficult to play than other stringed instruments such as violins and possibly piano.

30 minutes a day is no where near enough, 2 hours is more like it, without dedication you won't progress very far at all. This becomes even more apparant if you decide to teach yourself through books or whatever, in all honesty it may take a year for your fingers to become completely acustomed and without pain to playing. Oh and even the most basic songs will take over a year of practise for them to sound right. Other than that its really great to learn an instrument!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    good luck.

oh, and you shouldn't force yourself to practice 30 minutes a day. Just play what you feel is right.
    Some days I might not pick up one of my guitars at all, other days I might play for 4 or 5 hours over the course of the day.
    Although when you're starting out your fingers will hurt/get blisters/even bleed if you try and play for too long.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Sweep picking is evil, every few months I come back to it and will spend a few days trying to learn it but a good technique still alludes me. (I have been playing for 5/6 years now). Any type of tapping isn't that bad at all.

If every day you spent 30 minutes really practicing then yes, you will definitely get somewhere but you will get there ALOT quicker if every other day you spent an extra 30mins - 1 hour playing. Its quite a steep learning curve, but if you practice like I said you will start seeing a sudden very quick improvement after about 3-6 months.
    I've been playing for...9 years I think and I still can't tap properly. I can do some things, but really not much.
    As for sweep picking...every few months I decide I'm going to learn it, within 20 minutes I end up jamming out some blues stuff because I can't get the sweep motion on my right hand right, or get my fingers on my left hand moving fast enough.

ReputationRep:
    You won't be Steve Vai or anything, but you'd be able to play a few chords. Enough to impress drunk girls at parties, anyway, which is what I assume is what you want.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be able to play some easy riffs like the Smoke in the water, Iron Man or Enter Sandman ones.

(Original post by The Cap'n)
    You won't be Steve Vai or anything, but you'd be able to play a few chords. Enough to impress drunk girls at parties, anyway, which is what I assume is what you want.
    Such cynicism, Cap'n! Perhaps he/she wants to be skilled at a stringed instrument?

That's why I started learning... or at least wish to keep learning.

P.S. Bad Horsie :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QCs3PnQBc

First thing I thought of when reading the thread title :yep:

ReputationRep:
    no, its just that my dad tried to teach me it when i was younger and now its like i don't want to be an adult who can't play an instrument, lol also lately i've been told its a chick magnet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Such cynicism, Cap'n! Perhaps he/she wants to be skilled at a stringed instrument?

That's why I started learning... or at least wish to keep learning.

P.S. Bad Horsie :sogood:
    Pfft. Everyone who takes up the guitar thinks it will get them laid. I sure did, back when I was younger and naive-er.

But I absolutely agree about Bad Horsie. Although I maintain that Tender Surrender is the best solo guitar piece ever written.

Pfft. Everyone who takes up the guitar thinks it will get them laid. I sure did, back when I was younger and naive-er.

But I absolutely agree about Bad Horsie. Although I maintain that Tender Surrender is the best solo guitar piece ever written.
    Haven't listened to it yet, but trus', I will.

I don't remember thinking the guitar would lead to gash. :teehee: But I've always been too :innocent: for my own good.

ReputationRep:
    I'm learning to play the ukulele, it's supposed to be the easiest instrument to play, but I still find it hard. Then again, i've only been doing it for a week.

30 minutes isn't enough, unless you want to be okay at it in about 10 years.

It's beautiful!

ReputationRep:
    If the gallager brothers can do it, any braindead idiot can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.