The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

flugestuge
It would be accepted for graduate entry, but would leave you at a disadvantage compared to someone who did a real degree.
Do something academically rigorous. Biomed, genetics, biochemistry or indeed anything that is science based would be far better than a vocational course like nursing.
Pharmacy or anatomy would be better options too. Nursing is really a waste of your years.

this is a little rude to the actual nurse students who work hard everyday.
i tell you something, by doing a nursing degree OP may not gain a great scientific knowlege by the end of the degree but nusing students are known for working stupidly long hours, with very few holidays (way more that you would on a science degree). so it would give OP an advantage in the sense that nursing is a very physically and emotionally demanding course.... like medicine.

your point that biomed would be better for applying to GEP is something i agree with but the negitivity about the nuring degree is not really fair.
ballerinabetty
i tell you something, by doing a nursing degree OP may not gain a great scientific knowlege by the end of the degree but nusing students are known for working stupidly long hours, with very few holidays (way more that you would on a science degree). so it would give OP an advantage in the sense that nursing is a very physically and emotionally demanding course.... like medicine.

your point that biomed would be better for applying to GEP is something i agree with but the negitivity about the nuring degree is not really fair.

The medicine being demanding in terms of time is perhaps debateable, for the first three years I only have to be at uni for 25 weeks a year.

The last three years are a lot longer, but not hugely longer than nursing years I believe.
terpineol
The medicine being demanding in terms of time is perhaps debateable, for the first three years I only have to be at uni for 25 weeks a year.

The last three years are a lot longer, but not hugely longer than nursing years I believe.

Some uni GEM course 1st years are 40 weeks eeeeeeek.
ballerinabetty
i was ment getting a part-time job as nurse. not on the bank, but saturday/sunday perminant work. i know loads of nurses who have kids/other commitments so they only work 2 days a week. however they have been qualified for a while so i dont know if you have to work full time after qualifying???
could you not work in a perminent post part time?

nah , as a NQ you need to be full time, preceptorship and all that, packages..you can't be an NQN and be part time unless you have a really nice matron
terpineol

are we missunderstanding each other? i was talking about nursing students working longer hours not medics. nurse students do around 40 weeks a year....
ballerinabetty

yeah cause we don't graduate with Bsc's and know nothing about pharmacology, anatomy, and I damn well don't have lectures with biomed/bio students and I sure as hell don't know anything about any of my patients...cause afterall, to be a nurse you don't need to know WHY your patient is on said drug, or why your patient is having said test..:p:
ballerinabetty
are we missunderstanding each other? i was talking about nursing students working longer hours not medics. nurse students do around 40 weeks a year....

We actually have just 5.5 weeks off a year
Subcutaneous
nah , as a NQ you need to be full time, preceptorship and all that, packages..you can't be an NQN and be part time unless you have a really nice matron

aww that must be a bit poo if you have family or other commitments.
oh well thanks for clearing that up :smile:
ballerinabetty
aww that must be a bit poo if you have family or other commitments.
oh well thanks for clearing that up :smile:

tough ****, as far as they care if you want to do part time, go work in a nursing home
Subcutaneous
yeah cause we don't graduate with Bsc's and know nothing about pharmacology, anatomy, and I damn well don't have lectures with biomed/bio students and I sure as hell don't know anything about any of my patients...cause afterall, to be a nurse you don't need to know WHY your patient is on said drug, or why your patient is having said test..:p:

hang on ....i was sticking up for the nurses not bad mouthing them.
sorry i phrased it the way i did but what i meant was that you will not come out with as much scientific knowlege as someone who did a biochemistry degree but you will gain aknolege elsewhere that will be an advantage.
terpineol
Do you really think being so fundamentally unpleasant and useless is easy?

I jest, every now and then one finds an ok nurse, though oddly normally one talking of leaving.

it's actually really hard to learn how to think of a way to steal patients bourbon and avoid answering a buzzer i have you know :proud: :huff: :shh:
Subcutaneous
yeah cause we don't graduate with Bsc's and know nothing about pharmacology, anatomy, and I damn well don't have lectures with biomed/bio students and I sure as hell don't know anything about any of my patients...cause afterall, to be a nurse you don't need to know WHY your patient is on said drug, or why your patient is having said test..

why are you always so angry all she said was that nurses dont do as much science as a science student which is bloody true stop being moody with everyone!

ballerinabetty
sorry i phrased it the way i did but what i meant was that you will not come out with as much scientific knowlege as someone who did a biochemistry degree but you will gain aknolege elsewhere that will be an advantage.

She just doesnt like anyone saying nurses aint gods

Subcutaneous
it's actually really hard to learn how to think of a way to steal patients bourbon and avoid answering a buzzer i have you know

Are you just a medic reject that instead of trying to get back onto what you want to do would rather just insult the medics that worked hard enough to get there
ballerinabetty

well yeah, why the hell would i need biochemistry to be a nurse? but it doesn't rule out the fact, you need to know some of it..nursing is one of those careers where it takes a bit out of EVERYTHING, i need to know a bit about physios, medicine, pharmacy..biochem, anatomy, histology, public health, immunology..it's like a mongral of the nhs
brokenangel
why are you always so angry all she said was that nurses dont do as much science as a science student which is bloody true stop being moody with everyone!

She just doesnt like anyone saying nurses aint gods

i think it's rather insulting to say we don't do science, when the majority of my lectures are science, and i graduate with a Bsc..im not angry, i just ballerina betty has had some misguided views on nursing unfortunately from previous posts (apparently it's also an easy degree..) Im actually not moody at the moment, i'm in a good mood, and nurses aren't gods..we're the ones who have to wipe the god's arses and clean up their mess
brokenangel

Are you just a medic reject that instead of trying to get back onto what you want to do would rather just insult the medics that worked hard enough to get there

i was actually making fun of myself..
Subcutaneous
well yeah, why the hell would i need biochemistry to be a nurse? but it doesn't rule out the fact, you need to know some of it..nursing is one of those careers where it takes a bit out of EVERYTHING, i need to know a bit about physios, medicine, pharmacy..biochem, anatomy, histology, public health, immunology..it's like a mongral of the nhs

because OP is asking about GEM and what would be the best degree to do before hand. this thread is not about you, so of course YOU dont need biochem.
did you just come into this thread to cry because i dont believe that your reading the posts above.
ballerinabetty
because OP is asking about GEM and what would be the best degree to do before hand. this thread is not about you, so of course YOU dont need biochem.
did you just come into this thread to cry because i dont believe that your reading the posts above.

nah im actually drunk, but dude..please stop slagging off nurses when giving out this advice, just dont mention anything, cause..it's wrong! dw i have no beef with you, i just think..,little more respect. Ive already had words with the OP, told him to do biomed, you'll need less therapy after
Subcutaneous
i think it's rather insulting to say we don't do science, when the majority of my lectures are science, and i graduate with a Bsc..im not angry, i just ballerina betty has had some misguided views on nursing unfortunately from previous posts (apparently it's also an easy degree..) Im actually not moody at the moment, i'm in a good mood, and nurses aren't gods..we're the ones who have to wipe the god's arses and clean up their mess

and again.... i was sticking up for nurses when others were saying it was am easy degree. i actually said "its a physically and emitionally demanding course"

please learn to read. it is really important nurses can read.
Subcutaneous

Right so you know how us biomedics use different stains, fix samples to slides, what you can use when testing for what cell type, what a normal blood film actually looks like etc

You know how a doctor interperates the test results and decided on a treatment etc

You know what cells are actually involved in the immune response and how they can be used to differentiate conditions etc.

STOP bigging yourself up, nurses have there role in the NHS but isnt as scientific a role as a doctor or indeed a biomedical scientist!

Subcutaneous
i think it's rather insulting to say we don't do science, when the majority of my lectures are science, and i graduate with a Bsc..im not angry,

Not all nurses do diploma courses still exist
ballerinabetty
and again.... i was sticking up for nurses when others were saying it was am easy degree. i actually said "its a physically and emitionally demanding course"

please learn to read. it is really important nurses can read.

yeah i did notice that, sorry i missed it, flugestuge is a wellknown dick anyway...its just rather frustrating to see false facts on this thread, like we work 40 weeks a year, or on other threads you said it was easy, or you can work as an NQN part-time or bank..you can't. Just maybe research info you give? But dw everyone makes mistakes, shame you're not going into nursing tho, but i don't blame you lol

Latest

Trending

Trending