The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ballerinabetty
are we missunderstanding each other? i was talking about nursing students working longer hours not medics. nurse students do around 40 weeks a year....

That is what I was also saying, for the half of our cause we spend nigh on half the year 'off', though I think my last year is 54 weeks in uni, and that next year I only get 8 weeks for the summer, and 2 for christmas, then the year after that 4 weeks for summer and one for christmas.
brokenangel
Right so you know how us biomedics use different stains, fix samples to slides, what you can use when testing for what cell type, what a normal blood film actually looks like etc

You know how a doctor interperates the test results and decided on a treatment etc

You know what cells are actually involved in the immune response and how they can be used to differentiate conditions etc.

STOP bigging yourself up, nurses have there role in the NHS but isnt as scientific a role as a doctor or indeed a biomedical scientist!

Not all nurses do diploma courses still exist

Im not bigging myself up, im telling it how it is, nursing is an awful profession to be with, it's a thankless job, long hours, frustrating, backbreaking and there are days when you wonder whether what you're doing is really worth it, but there is a lot of inaccurate fact on here at the moment, and the op probably needs the full facts to make a decision as he's obviously a bit confused atm. I do actually need to know about test results, rationales for treatment i'm currently doing a module on the use of diagnostic technology applied to case studys...and believe it or not i do know about the immune response, cells used, autoimmune diseases, no so we don't hold medical degrees, or work in labs, but we need to know our patients, nursing is an autonomous role and for every act we do, we need evidence and a rationale to back it up with- and this involves science. Yeah so it's a not a biomedical degree in one..but it's a seperate degree in itself, nursing IS a science now, not necessarily an art anymore

Oh and by the time you qualify, nursing diplomas will be ancient history, they're a phased out and forgotten qualification now

I did well at my studies, and i'm intelligent- i got top marks in my year last year. However i'd never reccomend nursing as a way to get into medicine, regardless of what needs to be known, it's a seperate career, skill and even lifestyle. I'm really disappointed to see you act this way, don't you work as a HCA? I know for a fact, if i saw an auxillary speak about the profession, or towards a colleague in a rude manner, and inaccurate manner- i'd question their role on the nursing team
Urrr... if you don't think you can get AAA no matter how hard you work, what exactly makes you think you'll be able to keep up on a medicine degree? I mean plenty of people who are intelligent enough to do medicine don't get AAA... through personal circumstances or just not working very hard... but if you're saying you could bust a nut studying and revising and still not get AAA, then I'm sorry, but the harsh truth is... you just don't have the raw brainpower to take on something so demanding. Effortless straight-A students often struggle.
Subcutaneous
yeah i did notice that, sorry i missed it, flugestuge is a wellknown dick anyway...its just rather frustrating to see false facts on this thread, like we work 40 weeks a year, or on other threads you said it was easy, or you can work as an NQN part-time or bank..you can't. Just maybe research info you give? But dw everyone makes mistakes, shame you're not going into nursing tho, but i don't blame you lol

1. never said nursing was easy. ever.
2.40week was not written in blood, and it was a nursing student(close friend) who said he was at uni 40 weeks a year..... in fact in the post i said "AROUND 40 weeks a year" so technically i wasnt wrong. also on this note; all unis work differently so just becasue you do 47weeks a year it does not mean all do.
3.as for the NQN part time; i was corrected eairlier on and admitted it.

wow you are so paranoid. it is scary!!!
ballerinabetty
1. never said nursing was easy. ever.
2.40week was not written in blood, and it was a nursing student(close friend) who said he was at uni 40 weeks a year..... in fact in the post i said "AROUND 40 weeks a year" so technically i wasnt wrong. also on this note; all unis work differently so just becasue you do 47weeks a year it does not mean all do.
3.as for the NQN part time; i was corrected eairlier on and admitted it.

wow you are so paranoid. it is scary!!!

according to people i have spoke to, the course its self is pretty stright forward and getting good marks isnt that difficult

...pretty much insinuates that its an easy course...
Subcutaneous
I did well at my studies, and i'm intelligent- i got top marks in my year last year. However i'd never reccomend nursing as a way to get into medicine, regardless of what needs to be known, it's a seperate career, skill and even lifestyle. I'm really disappointed to see you act this way, don't you work as a HCA? I know for a fact, if i saw an auxillary speak about the profession, or towards a colleague in a rude manner, and inaccurate manner- i'd question their role on the nursing team

No i dont work as HCA plus id never be rude to a nurse on ward i have little thing called manner you know!

We all know about your disrespect for the multidisplinary team anyway so you are the wrong one to comment on my attitude of nurses should stick to nursing. The NHS is going to go down hill fast more nurses try to do a scientific role and forget about patient care which dont deny it is what happening.

If you have a look on some of the GEM medical school website they actually want nurses to have some post registration experiance so using it as degree for GEM Stright away wouldnt be a good idea! Add to that the fact having to explain away the why medicine now and not nursing at interview hmmm yeah.

Subcutaneous

why wont you admit that nursing incomparison with the likes of a pure science is an easy degree hell ill admit my degree knowledgewise is a piss easy it the work load that kills you!
DEAR ALL NURSING STUDENTS,
no one is saying that:
- your degree is easy (in fact a few(non nurses) have said it is very hard)
- that you have no scientific knowlege (however no matter how hard you argue you are not studying a pure science degree so you need to admitt that you do not have the scientific knowlege a UG biomed student would. sorry)
- that you work few hours and do little (in fact is had been acknowleged that you work really long hour, almost all year round and have to clean up **** after people)

so please stop getting so defensive. chill out. stay calm.

i understand your fustration when other people (none nurses) provide incorrect info, but surly the polite thing to do would be to point it out and correct it nicely.

seriously you gyuys are your own worst enimies.
Subcutaneous

I think there she is referring to the intrinstic difficulty (i.e. intellectual demand) of the course rather than the volume of work, or the emotional and physical demands of Nursing

DifficultHigh volume of work or emotional demand\text{Difficult} \neq \text{High volume of work or emotional demand}
Subcutaneous

i stick by that because the people who told me that were the nursing students on this site.
i think nursing is difficult because of the hours/weeks a year you do. it is a difficult degree because of case load/practical not because it is hard core academic. you only get 50% academic which is very little compared to other degrees.
ballerinabetty
DEAR ALL NURSING STUDENTS,
no one is saying that:
- your degree is easy (in fact a few(non nurses) have said it is very hard)
- that you have no scientific knowlege (however no matter how hard you argue you are not studying a pure science degree so you need to admitt that you do not have the scientific knowlege a UG biomed student would. sorry)
- that you work few hours and do little (in fact is had been acknowleged that you work really long hour, almost all year round and have to clean up **** after people)

so please stop getting so defensive. chill out. stay calm.

i understand your fustration when other people (none nurses) provide incorrect info, but surly the polite thing to do would be to point it out and correct it nicely.

seriously you gyuys are your own worst enimies.

Sub is her own worest enemy and i agree with the above great post.

Sub if you stopped pissing everyone off with your nurses are all this attitude then people wouldnt get stright on the defensive we all have a role to play in the NHS you stick to nursing the patients and ill stick to getting their lab results to the doctors! Please dont tell me you know as much about lab based sciences as me you simply dont as its not relevent at all, like whats a western blot and when is it used! How do stain a tissue for microscopic examination? the list goes on but on the other hand i dont have the foggiest idea (from my degree) how to bandage a wound or draw a blood sample
brokenangel
No i dont work as HCA plus id never be rude to a nurse on ward i have little thing called manner you know!

We all know about your disrespect for the multidisplinary team anyway so you are the wrong one to comment on my attitude of nurses should stick to nursing. The NHS is going to go down hill fast more nurses try to do a scientific role and forget about patient care which dont deny it is what happening.

If you have a look on some of the GEM medical school website they actually want nurses to have some post registration experiance so using it as degree for GEM Stright away wouldnt be a good idea! Add to that the fact having to explain away the why medicine now and not nursing at interview hmmm yeah.
why wont you admit that nursing incomparison with the likes of a pure science is an easy degree hell ill admit my degree knowledgewise is a piss easy it the work load that kills you!

This is exactly why, myself and other nurses on this site had to complain abotu a video that was extremely disrespectful to the modern nursing role.

I have no disrespect for the MDT?! (btw its not just made up of doctors), I even stay for meetings, take part and learn from them, which can be said for more than some students on here. But i do not have a huge lack of respect for medical students, who should know better, posting inaccurate, insulting videos and then also giving advice about a profession I work in which is even more inaccurate and insulting. If something is incorrect, I will correct it- just as im sure one of you will if someone on the nursing forum posted about i dunno, medics have normal university holidays

it's even more disconcerting you want me to admit nursing is an easy degree compared to your average science degree. Hun, it's like telling someone that their english degree is easier than a history degree. They're both arts degrees, but different. Your right, post-reg experience is desirable for GEM's, hence why i wouldn't reccomend it, your first 3 years as a qualified nurse is awful, a lot leave, it's the biggest learning experience you'll get, it's a crap time and it's not worth it to come out with a medical degree.

I truly don't understand why people on here seem to think nurses should stick to nursing..please, define nursing? it is an evolving career, and boy are you going to see a huge change in the next 5 years- but already i'm seeing benefits. Nurses knowing not only how to do something, but why it needs to be done, surely that is progress?

It's a shame that only ever on these sort of threads, i'm havign to make post reports, due to the pure disgusting attidue some have around this profession. You would not see a thread on the nursing forum saying 'whats the point in doctors' or one on wanting to do medicine to go into nursing...or videos making fun of the medical team, with offensive terms or threads going 'lol isn't the title nurse clinical teacher so funny' or people in societies going 'i have even less respect for doctors now'. I respect doctors a lot, i spent 12hrs with one today working on a patient who was so ill, i made her a cup of tea cause it was grinding her down, she helped myself and the RN out massively, stayed on the ward longer than needed and even offered to do a catheterisation when the RN's break was overdue- thats the doctors i respect, those who are team players, show respect and also authority in the role they undertake. Not ones who post, disgusting, inaccurate and offensive vidoes, views..and even discuss things which are illegal and damaging to patient health.
brokenangel
Sub is her own worest enemy and i agree with the above great post.

Sub if you stopped pissing everyone off with your nurses are all this attitude then people wouldnt get stright on the defensive we all have a role to play in the NHS you stick to nursing the patients and ill stick to getting their lab results to the doctors!

Please tell me you don't genuinely believe nurses don't need to know about lab results..
Subcutaneous, are you starting again?

For the life of me I can't see why the moderation team haven't banned you from the Med forum. What a disgraceful performance.
Subcutaneous
This is exactly why, myself and other nurses on this site had to complain abotu a video that was extremely disrespectful to the modern nursing role.

Correct me if im wrong but wasnt that in the Medics society thread so what the hell were you doing looking for it the video as far as im aware was made in a joking manner.

Subcutaneous
it's even more disconcerting you want me to admit nursing is an easy degree compared to your average science degree. Hun, it's like telling someone that their english degree is easier than a history degree. They're both arts degrees, but different.

I give up with you sometimes easy isnt just about the general term i didnt say a nurising degree was emotionaly easy, or stressfully easy. I just said that the science you learn isnt as in depth and therefore is easier than a pure science degree!

Subcutaneous
truly don't understand why people on here seem to think nurses should stick to nursing..please, define nursing? it is an evolving career, and boy are you going to see a huge change in the next 5 years- but already i'm seeing benefits. Nurses knowing not only how to do something, but why it needs to be done, surely that is progress?

what the generation of more nurses that think they are doctors or are up their own arses let me see looking after the patient in general, bed baths, talking to them, FEEDING THEM, dressing wounds etc generally the stuff that is now done by HCA with a few weeks training.

Subcutaneous
You would not see a thread on the nursing forum saying 'whats the point in doctors' or one on wanting to do medicine to go into nursing...or videos making fun of the medical team, with offensive terms or threads going 'lol isn't the title nurse clinical teacher so funny'

What wrong with people wanting to do a degree to get onto GEM

Subcutaneous
Please tell me you don't genuinely believe nurses don't need to know about lab results..

Do you need to know how to set up the machines do you hell and I know for a fact you arent tauht it so dont say you are, ive spent enough time in a hospital lab toknow you guys get a quick tour told this machine does XY&Z and dont get told how it works or how to run it at all

Democracy

For the life of me I can't see why the moderation team haven't banned you from the Med forum. What a disgraceful performance.

that might be a good idea before i get banned for arguing with her lol
Democracy

I genuinely don't care anymore, it's getting to the point, where i'm telling someone what nurses study, need to know to qualify and I get told we should 'stick to nursing' and stop having an 'attitude', well i'm really sorry I need to know the normal ranges for my patients creatinine or thrombocytes :rolleyes: because believe it or not, this is what nursing training involves Tbh this thread should probably be in the nursing forum
Subcutaneous

I have no disrespect for the MDT?! (btw its not just made up of doctors), I even stay for meetings, take part and learn from them, which can be said for more than some students on here. But i do not have a huge lack of respect for medical students, who should know better, posting inaccurate, insulting videos and then also giving advice about a profession I work in which is even more inaccurate and insulting. If something is incorrect, I will correct it- just as im sure one of you will if someone on the nursing forum posted about i dunno, medics have normal university holidays

it's even more disconcerting you want me to admit nursing is an easy degree compared to your average science degree. Hun, it's like telling someone that their english degree is easier than a history degree. They're both arts degrees, but different. Your right, post-reg experience is desirable for GEM's, hence why i wouldn't reccomend it, your first 3 years as a qualified nurse is awful, a lot leave, it's the biggest learning experience you'll get, it's a crap time and it's not worth it to come out with a medical degree.

I truly don't understand why people on here seem to think nurses should stick to nursing..please, define nursing? it is an evolving career, and boy are you going to see a huge change in the next 5 years- but already i'm seeing benefits. Nurses knowing not only how to do something, but why it needs to be done, surely that is progress?

It's a shame that only ever on these sort of threads, i'm havign to make post reports, due to the pure disgusting attidue some have around this profession. You would not see a thread on the nursing forum saying 'whats the point in doctors' or one on wanting to do medicine to go into nursing...or videos making fun of the medical team, with offensive terms or threads going 'lol isn't the title nurse clinical teacher so funny' or people in societies going 'i have even less respect for doctors now'. I respect doctors a lot, i spent 12hrs with one today working on a patient who was so ill, i made her a cup of tea cause it was grinding her down, she helped myself and the RN out massively, stayed on the ward longer than needed and even offered to do a catheterisation when the RN's break was overdue- thats the doctors i respect, those who are team players, show respect and also authority in the role they undertake. Not ones who post, disgusting, inaccurate and offensive vidoes, views..and even discuss things which are illegal and damaging to patient health.

i have actually grown to like you... you obviously havnt read any of the posts in this thread and your practically arguing with yourself. its so funny.
thanks for the laugh:yep:
Subcutaneous
I genuinely don't care anymore, it's getting to the point, where i'm telling someone what nurses study, need to know to qualify and I get told we should 'stick to nursing' and stop having an 'attitude', well i'm really sorry I need to know the normal ranges for my patients creatinine or thrombocytes because believe it or not, this is what nursing training involves Tbh this thread should probably be in the nursing forum

No body has said you dont need to know the normal ranges all I have said is that you dont need to know the theory on why the hell the test work and how we arrive at the values and I know you aint taught it anyway. Hence nursing aint a pure science degree or that is all you would be taught and not why it is relevent to the patient. Meaning if you want a pure science degree then the likes of Biochem is better than nursing which is what this all started over FML
Subcutaneous
I genuinely don't care anymore, it's getting to the point, where i'm telling someone what nurses study, need to know to qualify and I get told we should 'stick to nursing' and stop having an 'attitude', well i'm really sorry I need to know the normal ranges for my patients creatinine or thrombocytes because believe it or not, this is what nursing training involves Tbh this thread should probably be in the nursing forum

I swear to god a few months ago you told me "you don't care", yet lo and behold, here you are again starting another "Nurses VS the rest of the world" flamewar.

Deal with that chip on your shoulder please. No-one likes an insecure nursing student.
Democracy
I swear to god a few months ago you told me "you don't care", yet lo and behold, here you are again starting another "Nurses VS the rest of the world" flamewar.

Deal with that chip on your shoulder please. No-one likes an insecure nursing student.

£100 says she a rejected medical student that jelous of you lot
brokenangel
£100 says she a rejected medical student that jelous of you lot

I'm not one of "that lot" :wink:

Also, her academic history is rather dubious, but really, I'm not getting into that, this thread's ****ed up enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending