Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    you sound a little arrogant to be honest. SORRY.
    Then perhaps show me, in the real world, instances where nobody is ever arrogant. :rolleyes:

I think people here either warp and delude themselves, or have overly idealistic attitudes/perceptions of life. I'm sure in your uni/workplace, there are some (if not most) who deem themselves superior to others based on looks, social standing, academic achievement, etc.

Again, show me some evidence to the contrary, please (or at least show me evidence that such an attitude is not widespread).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    OK, so in essence you are saying that intelligence means little? Please expand on this belief, since few in society ever can.

I would state the opposite standpoint. Man's defining characteristic is intelligence. It is intelligence that drives life forward. It may not determine a person's total character, but neither does looks, religion, social class, etc. The only people in life who don't care about advancement or progress are lazy, layabout chavs. Whether that signifies most in the UK, well I don't know all sixty million or so of my fellow citizens.

I'm not saying it means little. I am not talking about society as a whole and driving life forward.

I mean that if i meet somebody i do not judge them on how smart they are. I decide what i think of them from how they act with other people. I would think far more of a "stupid" but kind and caring person than an arrogant intellectual.

Not being clever doesnt mean you are lazy, or that you dont care about progess. You could be, for example, a butcher who works very very hard, but isnt academically clever.

ReputationRep:
    You are one arrogant little BALLBAG!

:awesome: No, but srsly, you can know that you are in some ways "better" than some people, but it becomes arrogance when you start to voice that opinion in the presence of others.

ReputationRep:
    I'm arrogant as **** but I know how to make it work for me. Or so I've been told.

Either way its awesome

ReputationRep:
    I am a bit arrogant but then everyone is to some extent so we can all get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear...

Firstly, I don't know where you get the idea that you're a 'great guy' because chances are, if hardly anyone in this forum thinks you're a great guy, people whom you actually know won't either - unless, of course, you are only as arrogant as you say you are online, and in reality you're as insecure as I believe you to be. It's one thing being self-confident but you must have had some kind of affirmation to make you think you're such a great guy.

Secondly, your (written) English is absolutely appalling. If you speak the best English where you work then you must be working in a zoo.

Thirdly, just get over yourself. Seriously. You don't even have a reason to be arrogant. If you're going to act like an arse at least let it be for an actual reason. Jeez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    Oh dear...

Firstly, I don't know where you get the idea that you're a 'great guy' because chances are, if hardly anyone in this forum thinks you're a great guy, people whom you actually know won't either - unless, of course, you are only as arrogant as you say you are online, and in reality you're as insecure as I believe you to be. It's one thing being self-confident but you must have had some kind of affirmation to make you think you're such a great guy.
    I am kind to most, can you say the same? Isn't the younger people attitude to rip the piss all the time? I never do that.
    Secondly, your (written) English is absolutely appalling. If you speak the best English where you work then you must be working in a zoo.
    I do speak the best English. Since you cannot verify against it...well it makes no sense to argue.
    Thirdly, just get over yourself. Seriously. You don't even have a reason to be arrogant. If you're going to act like an arse at least let it be for an actual reason. Jeez.
    Get over what? I have displayed traits no different to most others in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyhey922)
    YOUR ARROGANCE WILL BE YOUR UNDOING!!
    (in joke)
    Arrogance isnt just thinking that your better than everone else, its letting everyone else know that you think you better than them.
    Thats not gonna make you popular no matter how you swing it now is it?
    according to whom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirky743)
    I'm not saying it means little. I am not talking about society as a whole and driving life forward.

I mean that if i meet somebody i do not judge them on how smart they are. I decide what i think of them from how they act with other people. I would think far more of a "stupid" but kind and caring person than an arrogant intellectual.
    You're not reasoning healthily. And you still refuse to present an answer, is it due to being stumped, and lacking the balls to admit it?

People judge negatively. I'm sure in your uni/college, people judge on looks or fashion sense. C'est la vie.
    Not being clever doesnt mean you are lazy, or that you dont care about progess. You could be, for example, a butcher who works very very hard, but isnt academically clever.
    Your points makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    I don't mean to interrupt, but this is so ridiculous :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    The key fact is that it happens, this cannot be denied.

If you cannot cite any evidence that it does not, then it's no shame.

ReputationRep:
    Im arrogant with nothing to be arrogant about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaslug77)
    You are one arrogant little BALLBAG!

:awesome: No, but srsly, you can know that you are in some ways "better" than some people, but it becomes arrogance when you start to voice that opinion in the presence of others.
    I don't think i'm much different to most other young people. Please present evidence that I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fidel69)
    no-one believes you, stop lying
    please substantiate this comment.

Do you get a sense of power by assuming (in your mind only) dominance in all situations? I understand the mentality of youths, so it is no shame.

No one is arguing that it's not widespread or found to some extent in everyone, and anyone who would say that is wrong. HOWEVER, THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT ******* CORRECT JUST BECAUSE EVERYONE EXHIBITS AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT OF IT!!! EVERYONE HAS A LITTLE BIT OF HATRED IN THEM, DOESN'T MEAN WE SHOULD JUST BOW DOWN AND LET PEOPLE BE AS HATEFUL AS THEY WANT!!! You'll never be 0% arrogant, thanks to social conditioning, but you can try and be less arrogant, and we should encourage people to be less arrogant.
    lol.... You ARE warped.

UK society is highly judgmental. Why are guys who don't like football looked down on? Or women who don't wear make-up?

You again have made no case, and have attempted to slander my character. lol. I doubt you would have much idea as to who I am, or what I am about.

I think in the end, you are simply voicing one of the truths of the human condition which are seldom lived up to. Look at it this way, it is wrong to be judgmental, but people still are. It is wrong to be prejudiced, but people still are. It is wrong to be mean to others, but people still are. It is wrong to compare yourselves with others, but people still do. It is wrong to take things for granted, but people still do.

I couldn't care less if you dislike my tone in this thread. I still cite that I am little different in attitude to most young people, even if I do come across as a little "arrogant" as you state.

The crux is that you're not making much sense, and are only putting forth idealistic beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyDodger4)
    Having self confidence is one thing, and is a good thing to have, as without self belief achievment is unlikely.
    However, rather than having self confidence, you seem to see yourself as above others. Which, rather than being a positive outlook, is negative.
    Oh dear.
    So? This is wrong, how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirky743)

Defind kind. Most people in the world are not kind.

What overly kind things have you done today?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not arrogant, but it does sometimes appear as though I am.

Being very reserved in some situations can easily be misconstrued.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a difference between arrogance and self-confidence, the former is often annoying and usually results in rudeness to other people. That being said I've plenty of friends who are arrogant and they can be pretty fun, it depends how well you know them I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes... not right now though. My self-esteem and confidence are at absolute rock bottom currently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    /\

lmao... you made my evening.

Now, accepting that some things are and are unlikely to change is perfectly acceptable. You rightfully say that cruelty is wrong, but this doesn't mean it will go away any time soon. Similarly, we wouldn't get rid of negative character traits.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.