Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Where to Start? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm 24 years old, I didn't do well in my GCSE's, so bad I can't even remember the results.

I went to college and managed to get a distinction, distinction, merit in music technology.

I studied multimedia computing with music in university and recieved a poor 2:2 due to suffering with depression and anxiety.

After getting over my anxiety and depression, I went on to teach myself web development and managed to land a job in a internet marketing agency as a web developer and have been there for the last year.

Now to the point. I suffer from a Class 3 malocclusion with signs of TMJ which I diagnosed myself after spending over 6 months researching and learning about my condition. Over that time, I found a huge interest in dentistry and spending my free time researching and asking my dentist questions normal patients wouldn't ask.

My question is, what steps would I need to take to get into dentistry. I'm pretty sure I'll have to take A-Levels as I do not have any or would I need to redo my GCSE's first? and which subjects would I need to do.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Kind Regards,

B.

hello x
    you do need gcses in of 5 c grades defintely in science,maths and english for dentistry and for university 3 A-levels (inc. 2 sciences - generally Chemistry and Biolog)

good luck if its what you want you can do it :yep: x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Rosie.

Better get started then

ReputationRep:
    You'll need Alevel grades AAB with AA in chemistry and biology
    You'll need maths and english GCSE at grade B minimum (some ask for A)

Have you considered doing an access course or applying to the foundation 6 year dentistry courses?

ReputationRep:
    I still need GCSE’s grade A-C for the access course and A-level ABB for the foundation 6 year course. I found this http://www.lambethcollege.ac.uk/cour...cfm?cit_id=492 but I feel it would be better to take the GCSE's + A Level route as I've heard some uni's dont accept the access course.

What do you think?

Thanks for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleachie)
    I heard that it's difficult to get into dental school through the access course as only a few universities accept it, I could be wrong. Either way I still need GCSE’s grade A-C for the access course and A-level ABB for the foundation 6 year course.

Thanks for your reply.
    What are you planning to do then?

ReputationRep:
    I was planning to get GCSE's in maths and english and then get the a-levels in biology, chemistry, maths and AS in ICT. Then apply for the foundation degree. I know it'll take a few years, but I see this as a solid route.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I just saw this for 6 year foundation.

GCSE: Five GCSEs at a minimum of Grade A (including either Integrated Double Award Science or Physics, Chemistry and Biology)....normally required in support of your level 3 qualifications (e.g. A Levels, IB etc).

Guess it'll take longer than I thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleachie)
    I just saw this for 6 year foundation.

GCSE: Five GCSEs at a minimum of Grade A (including either Integrated Double Award Science or Physics, Chemistry and Biology)....normally required in support of your level 3 qualifications (e.g. A Levels, IB etc).

Guess it'll take longer than I thought
    Good luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.