Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Question asks it all.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

ReputationRep:
    yes. look at link above. it is only offered at some unis.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but only to certin universities and from what ive heard not to any 5 year course but havent had that confirmed

ReputationRep:
    RTFM, guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljos)
    RTFM, guys
    RTFM :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It means that this kind of info is all over FAQs, university websites, and so forth, ergo: Read The Feckin' Manual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljos)
    It means that this kind of info is all over FAQs, university websites, and so forth, ergo: Read The Feckin' Manual
    ahhhhhh right i like it

ReputationRep:
    I have a sneaky suspicion that in the future graduate entry medicine is going to require a first. With the huge amount of people going to university now, the value of a degree is decreasing. Many graduates are out of jobs for months or even years, and the way things are heading, the government may well shorten courses. Medicine is one of the few that guarentees u a job...and well paid ( nationally) thus i expect it will get even more competative and graduates will be looking for the quality that comes with medicine.....bringing about the increased entrance requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    I have a sneaky suspicion that in the future graduate entry medicine is going to require a first. With the huge amount of people going to university now, the value of a degree is decreasing. Many graduates are out of jobs for months or even years, and the way things are heading, the government may well shorten courses. Medicine is one of the few that guarentees u a job...and well paid ( nationally) thus i expect it will get even more competative and graduates will be looking for the quality that comes with medicine.....bringing about the increased entrance requirements
    I have a sneaking suspicion that your prediction is unlikely to come true. It's not all about academic ability; the raw intelligence and scientific understanding required to be a doctor is relatively modest, so I think that Universities will set a standard minimum requirement that a reasonable graduate can be expected to achieve (i.e. a 2:1), and then focus more on other things, like work experience, commitment to Medicine, and response to ethical scenarios. As far as I'm aware, Birmingham is the only UK Med School to be particularly keen for their applicants to have Firsts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    I have a sneaking suspicion that your prediction is unlikely to come true. It's not all about academic ability; the raw intelligence and scientific understanding required to be a doctor is relatively modest, so I think that Universities will set a standard minimum requirement that a reasonable graduate can be expected to achieve (i.e. a 2:1), and then focus more on other things, like work experience, commitment to Medicine, and response to ethical scenarios. As far as I'm aware, Birmingham is the only UK Med School to be particularly keen for their applicants to have Firsts
    I disagree, graduate medical applicants i believe will increase alot, and to limit the number of applicants to be considered, increasing the requirements the easiest way. Its why i also believe medical schools will be asing for a stars at a levels in the next few years...its cos of numbers. A frst doesnt have to be in a science subject...a first shows the medical school the applicant is dedicated, hard working, motivated, intelligent and serious. A 2.1 is the bog standard nowadays, and medicine isnt bog standard. We are allowed to disagree tho , this is the future ^^

ReputationRep:
    a first shows the medical school the applicant is dedicated, hard working, motivated, intelligent and serious.
    The problem is though, that there are plenty of people who have all of these qualities but who don't manage to achieve First class degrees. This is particularly true in essay-based subjects. With science subjects, exam questions always have a right or wrong answer, so getting a First is comparatively easy, you just have to learn the right answers or methods.

With essay based subjects, not only are they often subjective, but you'll often also find that lecturers have a "policy" of only giving a certain number of marks (for example, my friend's father is a lecturer at Bath University, and his policy is to never give more than one student in his class a first class mark).

When you realise how common it is for very intelligent people to end up with a 2:1 no matter how well they do, it begins to seem quite unfair to claim that their achievement is "not good enough for Medicine". I can honestly say that I'm not as intelligent or hard working as some of my friends who graduated with 2:1s, but you would apparently say that I am more deserving of a place at Medical School just because I got a First.

I agree that Medical Schools get too many applicants, but I think that rather than raising the requirements to a First (which would be unfair), they will just adopt new and additional methods of filtering, such as the more recently introduced admissions tests

ReputationRep:
    Hmm id say before you see that youll unfortuanly see a move to all GEM a 1st isnt as easy to get as you would think it requires alot of dedication and hard work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Hmm id say before you see that youll unfortuanly see a move to all GEM a 1st isnt as easy to get as you would think it requires alot of dedication and hard work.
    Didnt say it was easy. Neither is choosing 100 people out of 2000 with the same grades. I dont think they will go towards the american system...i think the other guy was right and more entrance exams, and harder.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.