Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

does a kind non-believer have the best chance of heaven? watch

Any kindness they show is less likely to be for personal gain. Of course you're going to try to be nice if you think it's going to get you eternal life.

Is not believing a big enough deal to mean that you won't get into heaven, in spite of having changed many people's lives for the better, while some self centred ******* will get in just for believing?

Do you think that being a kind non-believer gives you the best shot?

ReputationRep:
    Not if they do it because they might have a better chance of heaven if it does turn out to be real ... :p: :

ReputationRep:
    As I non-believer, I think no. Otherwise I would believe in heaven.

The very notion of heaven (infinite reward for finite good deeds) is immoral, and the same applies to hell. Being an apostate atheist, I can understand what you mean, but it's silly to even think about such an infantile fairytale. The idea that a person deserves either ultimate reward or ultimate punishment is deeply immature. Most people are smart enough not to deal in absolutes.

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter? By the time anyone finds out the're dead anyway.

(Original post by Sweet by and by)
    well i'd say it matters

(Original post by Anonymous)
    cool story bro
    This is funny every single time anyone does it. Especially when they use anon to post it. HA HA LEGEND!

:rolleyes:

(Original post by Sweet by and by)
    if you're completely sure that there's no afterlife, or that your actions in this life won't affect what happens to you after it, then I can see why it wouldn't matter to you.

But it matters to me because I'm not sure, and getting some answers on how to live this life to give me the best shot in what happens after this life would help me.

ReputationRep:
    According to religious texts of the main religions, faith and the declaration of it matters.

maybe the one wiith the best shot is the one who is kind early on in their life, then comes to believe in god later on and continues to be kind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    if you're completely sure that there's no afterlife, or that your actions in this life won't affect what happens to you after it, then I can see why it wouldn't matter to you.

But it matters to me because I'm not sure, and getting some answers on how to live this life to give me the best shot in what happens after this life would help me.

Well in that case, live your life to the best of your abilitys and you have nothing to worry about

(Original post by A GROWN MAN CRYING.)
    This is funny every single time anyone does it. Especially when they use anon to post it. HA HA LEGEND!

How wisecracking.

Spoiler:
    Show
    :timewarp:

(Original post by + polarity -)
    How wisecracking.

Spoiler:
    Show
    :timewarp:

Pretty 'off the hook' yourself.

(Can we keep doing this for at least 4 hours? I have time to kill)

ReputationRep:
    OK, i'll try and explain this as best I understand it from a Christian perspective. Here goes.

The answer to your question is no. You cannot gain entry to heaven based on good deeds without faith in Jesus Christ.

Every human has committed sin, everyone. In what they say, do and think.

It is accepting and believeing that God sent his only son, Jesus, who was crucified on the cross and died so that everyones sins may be forgiven that denotes whether or not you are able to go to Heaven.

Performing good deeds is...well...good but you are still with sin. Without beliefe you cannot go to Heaven.

If you have not heard the Good news and word of God before you die, for whatever reason, I was told that you are juged according to how you lived your life. Ie, deeds, acts of kindness.

Obviously I don't think you can accept God, then go murdering, killing and plundering and still go to Heaven.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why a non-believer would give a **** about others anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you visited heaven youd spend a long while in hell first because you didnt believe. Your actions would have to resemble that of a believer to be allowed in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    You cannot gain entry to heaven based on good deeds without faith in Jesus Christ.

Every human has committed sin, everyone. In what they say, do and think.

It is accepting and believeing that God sent his only son, Jesus, who was crucified on the cross and died so that everyones sins may be forgiven that denotes whether or not you are able to go to Heaven.

Performing good deeds is...well...good but you are still with sin.
    No offense to your religion, but how can you read that and not just laugh at how random and wtf it sounds? So you are eternally rewarded for believing that, and eternally punished for not believing it? Riiiight.

(Original post by Yuppie20)
    I don't see why a non-believer would give a **** about others anyway.
    nice people?
    they do exist.
    it's easier to be nice if you're happy yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyoujin)
    No offense to your religion, but how can you read that and not just laugh at how random and wtf it sounds? So you are eternally rewarded for believing that, and eternally punished for not believing it? Riiiight.
    Very easily, best thing I ever did. But basicaly all that is needed is faith. There are a lot of guidlines on how you should life and that means being a good person etc and following Christ, but it answers the OP's question.

I'd say so because, as I understand it, you can still accept god / jesus after you die even if you were an atheist in life?

So long as when you die and see that they really do exist you say "****, you guise really are here, oh well... sorry for not believing, I now accept you as my lord and saviour" then you're still OK to get into heaven.

Makes me wonder why anyone bothers worshipping in life to be honest. Why not just try to live a good life and wait and see, even if you are inclined to believe.

I don't believe any of it, before you ask.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.