Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Selling upmarket products to people. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

There's a possibility that I may be working at an upmarket furniture store in the future.

The only problem is that all the stuff in there are about 4 times what one would pay at 'normal' stores and I think I would have trouble convincing people why they need to pay this price for future apart from its made from sustainable wood or its high quality.

Anyone been in a situation before where they have had to sell products they may not necessarily believe in?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it will be too difficult, if they are going to an upmarket furniture store they are generally more likely to be prepared to pay a higher price. The quality of the materials and design is all you need to learn about to be able to sell it. Personally I don't mind paying more for quality where it counts, for something beautiful and long-lasting.

If however it is like the Jack Wills of furniture shops (ie. much more expensive but of comparible quality and design to the cheaper places anyway) then.. I don't know. Just learn from watching the more experienced staff?

ReputationRep:
    I had to do this all the time at Debenhams [which is, by the way, a complete rip-off], albeit with electrical goods and cooking utensils and not anything else [you'd be surprised how expensive some things are :P]. I had to sell tat that was completely beyond the requirements of the customer, and in the end it just hit my conscience so hard that I left.

There's no technique to it - you just have to trust yourself. It gets easier with time. Everyone develops their own way of doing it in time.

ReputationRep:
    You have to believe in what your selling. Or at least fake that you do. Other than that, people buy from people, not stores. Build a rapport or friendship with the customers, they expect extra so you have to give them extra above other shops. Its a combination of you and the product which convinces a customer to buy, the product on its own wont sell effectively.

ReputationRep:
    Well if it's an upmarket furniture store, then presumably the people are coming in there expecting to buy upmarket furniture. If someone walks into Gucci, presumably they are wanting to buy Gucci price/quality clothes, not Primark price/quality clothes.

You don't need to sell it to them from the ground up, your job isn't going to be to convince someone why they should pay so much for furniture if they were only willing to pay a quarter of the price, your job is to convince them why to buy furniture from Upmarket Store A, when they could buy it from Upmarket Store B. So you need to emphasise the design and quality aspects.

Not that hard tbh but if you don't believe in the product then I imagine you'd find it difficult. Sounds easy to me, but then that is the sort of furniture I'd buy :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It's hard if you don't believe in the products/store, but meh, just tell yourself these rich tossers deserve to be fleeced. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I used to do this all the time when I worked in Mulberry. I think the trick is just to know your product really well and be as enthusiastic as you can whilst pointing out all the reasons they should buy whatever it is. If you're working in a shop that's known to be expensive then the people who go in are likely to be looking for luxury goods rather than value ones, so you shouldn't feel 'guilty' selling it to them if they can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *k.a.t.e*)
    I used to do this all the time when I worked in Mulberry. I think the trick is just to know your product really well and be as enthusiastic as you can whilst pointing out all the reasons they should buy whatever it is. If you're working in a shop that's known to be expensive then the people who go in are likely to be looking for luxury goods rather than value ones, so you shouldn't feel 'guilty' selling it to them if they can afford it.
    You do have a good point, I guess I might've been thinking about this job too much in a personal context (as in asking whether I would buy this sort of thing even if I had the money).

I should hear from the store this week and I will see what happens then.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.