Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what do you think is the most hated nationality?? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: which is the most hated nationality??
    English
    31.16%
    irish
    10.39%
    german
    22.85%
    french
    35.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    So why did you quote me
    I dunno, what I said was like an "extension" to what you said.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Ok, a better one.. lots of people study/learn about Hitler, people even admire him despite all the things he done, that doesn't mean you still don't hate him.. see what I'm saying?

I hope, one day, to assimilate a reputation similar to yours. A man can dream, a man can dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    3) I ment, while in a que say/ or in a chip shop, in a pub, whith all my mates who all speak welsh, then an english persona t the bar or behind us whould go what did you say about me then?
    My mate lives in a flat now and shes the only welsh person, when I visit, I do speak english coz yes it would be rude, but I aslo speak welsh with her sometimes because it feels wierd talking english with her all the time, and besides her flatmates dont mind, theyr catching on!

4) As I said, some english, liem yourself? do know that wales and england are not the same countrys, but some don't! they are the ones that annoy me

6) Where I come from we hardly speak any english....and it annoys me when the english don't understand this!!! And you should at least try and understand the welsh language...
    3) That sounds strange, very paranoid that a complete stranger would think you're talking about them. Especially if you're in Wales at the time.

4)Yes, I'm English, haven't lived there for going on 5 years though. I think the issue is that an English national identity is not encouraged and if you say 'I'm proud to be English' you're suddenly perceived to be Nick Griffin mkII, couple this with the fact that politicians emphasise 'Britishness' and people who are less informed will be ignorant of differences. I think most educated English people realise that we are linguistically, culturally, ethnically and historically very distinct peoples.

6) I think if you're going to live in Wales then of course it would be good to learn the language, but if you're just visiting it is quite understandable that someone would not take the time to learn a language with such a limited pool of speakers. Do you think English people should be taught Welsh?

ReputationRep:
    3) I ment, while in a que say/ or in a chip shop, in a pub, whith all my mates who all speak welsh, then an english persona t the bar or behind us whould go what did you say about me then?
    My mate lives in a flat now and shes the only welsh person, when I visit, I do speak english coz yes it would be rude, but I aslo speak welsh with her sometimes because it feels wierd talking english with her all the time, and besides her flatmates dont mind, theyr catching on!

4) As I said, some english, liem yourself? do know that wales and england are not the same countrys, but some don't! they are the ones that annoy me

6) Where I come from we hardly speak any english....and it annoys me when the english don't understand this!!! And you should at least try and understand the welsh language...

yeah I cant spell :o:
    but naa maby I didnt phrase my 6) very well, I don't agree or support any kind of bullying it's just wrong!! I just don't like it when a new kid came to school, (they all had to take a 6week couse at a welsh learning school before starting) and then expect you to talk english with them, when we all knew they knew the basics, all they had to do was at least try you know!!
    3) some people are just paranoid, and I am really sceptical that it happens all that often.

4) I really don't know anyone that does :/. And I know some really thick people.

6) I could understand if someone moved there, to a place where people seldom spoke English, but if we have no intention, then I don't see why we should make an effort to understand it? You said it yourself, you are not a part of England, you are just a neighbouring country. But then that is the same with any country, I moved to Germany, I speak German, there is no relevance in me learning Afrikaans when chances are, I will never be in a position where I will HAVE to speak this language.

6) Maybe they were just nervous or felt embarrassed because their Welsh was not that good? It is not easy moving to a new country, or even to a new school, it is even harder when you don't speak the language. 6 weeks in not a lot, I have been studying Greek for 6 weeks and I cannot even string a sentence together yet. Plus, if you bullied him for struggling with the language, I sincerely doubt you would have been more forgiving if he spoke in really broken Welsh and couldn't get past asking the time or telling you his name and birth date.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say French, then English, Germany, Ireland. I'd leave America out of the question because it's too huge generalize.

ReputationRep:
    I must say the french! I just came back from paris a few days ago and I found the French extremely ignorant and rude sometimes. of course there are a few exceptions but overall they are very annoying! yup

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, from that list it isn't hard. French hands down.

If it wasn't so limited though, I'd put down Americans, French and Israelis.

Turks. All of Europe and Arabia hate us.

ReputationRep:
    Americans.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously Americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Turks. All of Europe and Arabia hate us.
    Not without reason. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Muslims and Jews.
    Wait wut?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, Americans maybe? I for one don't like them.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, English isn't a nationality, it's a national identity.

British is a nationality.

So as English isn't really a nationality, my vote goes to the French!

ReputationRep:
    Ya'll are just haters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    I've found the opposite tbh, the moment you try and practice French on them, they switch to English. I like them

Im bilengual, and personally cant stand it when Im talking to someone in a foreign language and they begin speaking in my mother tongue. Its like theyre insulting your ability to speak the language, and whats worse is usually their english is terrible ><

ReputationRep:
    Israeli for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Im bilengual, and personally cant stand it when Im talking to someone in a foreign language and they begin speaking in my mother tongue. Its like theyre insulting your ability to speak the language, and whats worse is usually their english is terrible ><
    So why do you think they do it? (genuine question)

ReputationRep:
    well maby it's wrong to hate the whole english nationality, but a lot of them goes on my nerves
    1) when it comes down to sport (well hockey anyway), it's the english captains that help decide on GB teams, so us welsh don't get a mention, this pisses me off, coz I know a lot of the welsh girls on my team are way better than the english ones who were chosen!!
    2) Again about hockey, when playing in Loughbrough representing wales with my college against different regions in england, all the reffs were against us, and sent 3 of our players off and disallowed my goal!!!
    3) They think we only speak welsh to insult them - but it;s our first language, and we have the right to speak it!
    4) They think Wales is a part of England
    5) The tourist that comes up here over the summer are just SNOBS!! and think themselves to be much better than you, coz they have a yot!!
    6) The 'english' people at school would refuse to speak welsh to you, it's the language of this bloody country - suppsoe they did end up as loners and got bullied for that though!

I could go ona nd on.....
    but as I say I do like some english people!! but the majority is UCHH
    off-topic but none of the welsh people i've ever met bar one or two have been able to speak welsh at all! :rolleyes:

to the OP, the USA should be on there. personally i don't 'hate' any country but i disagree most with the values, attitudes, laws etc of countries like saudi arabia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    So why do you think they do it? (genuine question)
    Well, sometimes their English is genuinly brilliant, and I have no problems talking to foreign friends in English, as at times their language surpases the level of most English speakers I know.

The issue I have is usually when you order something in a restaurant, or buy something in a shop. The reason is most likely they want to practise their English or prove that they can speak it. So I probably shouldnt take it as an insult, but I always do :/

Also, they assume that because of my look and accent I am English, and I dont like to be generalised. Sometimes I respond in a different language altogether.

Petty I know... ><

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.