Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Havn't been on here in a while a lot has changed!
    Anyway.. when I was doing my A-levels I planned to apply for medicine; however due to extenuating circumstances (Sadly I lost my brother to cancer(AML)) I really messed up my A-levels(BBB). I pulled out all my applications, and 2 weeks before uni began I decided to get a place somewhere through clearing.I'm now studying biochemistry at Bham University.

I've had a long time to think and I'd still like to persue a career in medicine, it's where my passion lies. For those guys who applied after a first or even second degree, what were your a-level results like? How much weighting is given to them? I know the degree result and BMAT/GMSAT play a huge role, but just curious to hear from people who have been/are in the same boat as me.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    *subscribe* to thread

ReputationRep:
    some unis do not look at alevels of gcses for grad applicants.
    if you apply to the right unis it will not effect your chances.
    and for unis that do look at ALevels their cut of is usually BB in two science alevels.
    but to be on the safe side i would avoid oxbridge if i were you
    check here

ReputationRep:
    ballerina can you tell me if your research has told you whether

swansea
    kcl
    nottingham
    newcastle
    keele
    or st georges

focus alot or very little on a level results as I have to pick 4 out of these 6 for 2012 entry

i will have a 2.1 /1st and then a masters

ReputationRep:
    For which uni's look at your A's and GCSE's, look here.
    But for the most accurate information, you should check each uni's website for the GEM entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. I've read the info you gave me. I actually came across it before I made my post. I know I meet minimum requirements; however I was hoping to get a response from those who are already at grad med schools just to get an idea of the 'real' requirements and what is actually expected of me. I meet Oxbridge requirements, however you've said to avoid due the calibur of students they actually expect.

Deep

ReputationRep:
    Hey Deep.
    Firstly sorry to hear about your brother. Must've been a hard time.
    Secondly, most of the GEM programs tend to ignore GCSE and A-levels but I know with Swansea they want Maths and English at GCSE (no grade specified) and preferably some post GCSE chemistry and biology experience. I'm sure you have that anyway.
    St.Georges don't look at all at A-levels or GCSE.
    There may also be some 5 year courses you are eligible for but they can change their entry requirements year on year.
    Hope that is of help. There is a really good book you can get that gives you info on all the courses available and all the other application stuff that you have to think about.
    Ooooo...also make sure you get yourself some work experience or voluntary work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beula24)
    Hey Deep.
    Firstly sorry to hear about your brother. Must've been a hard time.
    Secondly, most of the GEM programs tend to ignore GCSE and A-levels but I know with Swansea they want Maths and English at GCSE (no grade specified) and preferably some post GCSE chemistry and biology experience. I'm sure you have that anyway.
    St.Georges don't look at all at A-levels or GCSE.
    There may also be some 5 year courses you are eligible for but they can change their entry requirements year on year.
    Hope that is of help. There is a really good book you can get that gives you info on all the courses available and all the other application stuff that you have to think about.
    Ooooo...also make sure you get yourself some work experience or voluntary work.
    Thanks. Yeah like I said I meet all the 'minimum' requirments. Got mostly A*'s and A's at GCSE and BBB in alevels, results were as such due to reasons explained. Just hope the entry requirements don't change too much over the next two years.

Say if I were to apply for undergrad med after a degree, despite the longer period of time and extra cost any other cons? Also would they take into account your degree or consider/treat you as an undergrad and just base their decsions on A-levels?

Yeah got loads of W/e. That's probably the only sound part of my application.

Can't help but feel that I'm being annoying and that I'm asking questions which probably have been answered hundreds of times. Have managed to find other sites like newmediamedicine. The search function on here and other sites is great, but its a hard job going through threads with hundreds of pages to find answers to my questions.

Deep

ReputationRep:
    I know that Warwick don't care about A levels...

ReputationRep:
    A **** load of reading and forum seaching, plus help from you guys got my answers. Thanks everyone. Forgot how good this site actually was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    but to be on the safe side i would avoid oxbridge if i were you
    Oxford won't care, they're quite open about the fact that previous academic history isn't too important to them (as long as you meet the minimum requirement of a 2:1); they're far more concerned about UKCAT score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    Oxford won't care, they're quite open about the fact that previous academic history isn't too important to them (as long as you meet the minimum requirement of a 2:1); they're far more concerned about UKCAT score.
    do you know this for a fact... like do you know some one who got in with like ABB at Alevel for example. because if so, this is good stuff to know.

ReputationRep:
    do you know this for a fact... like do you know some one who got in with like ABB at Alevel for example. because if so, this is good stuff to know.
    I do well actually her grades were "worse" plus her undergraduate was from Sunderland

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I can't give any anecdotal examples as I don't know the A level results of any Oxford GEP students, however if I may quote from the Medical School prospectus about the entry requirements for the programme:

"This is an intensive and academically oriented course, and you will have to show that you will be able to cope with it. We accept that some excellent students are “late developers”, and so we will not insist on excellent A-levels or an outstanding first degree result, though we would normally expect two science A-levels (including Chemistry, plus Biology to at least GCSE), or international equivalent. Your degree results should be a 2:i or better, or a GPA above 3.5. This course has a very strong academic and scientific emphasis; we need to be sure that we are selecting students who are academically in the top flight."

ReputationRep:
    thanks chwirkytheappleboy and broken angel.
    it does seem very different criteria from thier school leaver requierments. interesting.

ReputationRep:
    thanks chwirkytheappleboy and broken angel.
    it does seem very different criteria from thier school leaver requierments. interesting.
    Yup for what ive researched it is, looks to be more interested in UKCAT and interview if you meet the minimum requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papajames)
    ballerina can you tell me if your research has told you whether

swansea
    kcl
    nottingham
    newcastle
    keele
    or st georges

focus alot or very little on a level results as I have to pick 4 out of these 6 for 2012 entry

i will have a 2.1 /1st and then a masters
    Newcastle don't care about A levels on the 4 year, but you have to get a good UKCAT score, with the cut-off usually between 670 and 690ish, and they interview purely on this basis.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.