Turn on thread page Beta

Please keep anon or delete.
    I have been obese for the last 2 years and have 5 stones to lose, so far I've lost 1st 3lbs through healthy eating and walking more when I go out.
    Prior to this I lived a sedentary life and I mean REALLY sedentary- all day lying on the couch, food constantly going down me!
    I know that soon I'm gonna need to start doing some form of exercise to get more fit and healthy, but I guess I have a fear that any form of strenuous work will probably give me a mini heart attack.
    I don't know if its wise to continue eating healthily till I lose another stone then start doing exercise- such as joining a gym because not only do I fear I will do too much that my body is not used to, I'm also pretty self-conscious!

Any advice on what the best approach to this would be?

ReputationRep:
    If you're self concious when you exercise, you could just start off doing exercises in your own home. Do enough to wear yourself out, but don't push yourself too hard if you're scared of doing some damage. Also, walking even more would help you to lose weight faster, try walking at a faster pace?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I wouldn't advise strenuous exercise at this point. Continue eating healthy and do less strenuous exercise such as walking and swimming. Once you feel healthier and better about your self, you can start something more strenuous like going to the gym. Most gyms will be able to give you a personal program to suit your needs.
    Remember that slow and steady weight loss is much healthier than pushing your self to lose it all in one go.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your doctor about this, not TSR. They will be able to advise you on how best to lose the weight.

I don't kno about what specific excercises but take it slowly...Very slowly...just 10 minutes of excercise a day for the firs week and very slowly keep increasing it while watching your diet...Seriously, it doesntwork if you try to be Superman on day 1

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.