Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about teaching myself English Literature. I'm a university student in a non-English speaking country and throughout my life, I have not been educated enough in languages or literature, which kind of contradicts my passion for writing. I went to a very reputable public high school, in a special program where they integrated the curriculum with A Levels but it did not cater to the students the way the program should have been. There was far too great of an emphasis in Mathematics and the Sciences. I could've said that my secondary education was completely pointless despite my school's academic reputation.

I'm a psychology major now, and I love it. But I also love writing and I'm aiming on being a musician and I've noticed how a lot of musicians who are accomplished at lyric writing are passionate about literature as well: they're great writers and read a lot. I'm not going to do this for a degree or qualification, just to expand my knowledge and skills. I'm wondering if anyone can help me in terms of resources that are commonly used in teaching secondary level literature in the UK. Inputs from other English-speaking locations are great too.

ReputationRep:
    My school didn't really use much in the way of 'resources', just good teachers and a good library. You just need to read a lot, really. Start by browsing in some good anthologies to give yourself an overview (e.g. the Norton Anthology of English Literature), then read more widely in the literature from the styles/periods you most enjoy, whether that's modernist poetry, nineteenth century novels or whatever. Read a broad selection of plays, poetry and novels from diffferent periods. A history of English literature will give you a good critical overview (e.g. The Short Oxford History of English Literature) and if you want more of a specific critical commentary, the Cambridge Companion series are often recommended for school/university students. There's also a great book on how to read poetry, John Lennard's The Poetry Handbook. Hope that gives you some ideas.

ReputationRep:
    You might find this reading list useful.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.