Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to do 5 A2's and get 1:1 in STEP papers? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm in year 11 and thinking about sixth form options next year. fyi I'm predicted very good grades at gcse and will have completed my maths AS level by the end of year 11, predicted grade A.

Basically, I am 95% sure I want to do maths to degree level (at one of the top unis) therefore I will choose to do A2: maths, further maths and physics. I am also going to do chemistry to A2 so that I have a backup plan of chemical engineering or natural science just in case I change my mind about doing a maths degree.

However, I LOVE english lit, so I would like to take it to AS/ A2.

If I pursue a maths degree I would most likely need a 1:1 in STEP papers 2 & 3 which I know is difficult to achieve, therefore my question is would it be unrealistic to be able to take english lit to A2 without my other grades suffering?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you start with that many and then possibly drop English if you're finding the overall work load too tough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dollbaby)
    Hello, I'm in year 11 and thinking about sixth form options next year. fyi I'm predicted very good grades at gcse and will have completed my maths AS level by the end of year 11, predicted grade A.

Basically, I am 95% sure I want to do maths to degree level (at one of the top unis) therefore I will choose to do A2: maths, further maths and physics. I am also going to do chemistry to A2 so that I have a backup plan of chemical engineering or natural science just in case I change my mind about doing a maths degree.

If I pursue a maths degree I would most likely need a 1:1 in STEP papers 2 & 3 which I know is difficult to achieve, therefore my question is would it be unrealistic to be able to take english lit to A2 without my other grades suffering?

Thanks
    It's not impossible, but your other grades COULD suffer as exam times will be very hectic and you might just simply run out of time to revise for them all. It's also probably not really worth it, getting A's or A*'s in Maths/Futher Maths/Physics/Chemistry is where your time would be better spent, for either a maths, science or engineering degree.

Of course, if you REALLY think you can do it, try it. Possibly start with all 5 and drop one if you think the workload is too big?

ReputationRep:
    The short answer is: Yes. Many people on TSR have achieved those grades or better. However, it's going to depend a good deal on how good you are at your subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Having good predicted GCSEs won't be that important. The question is, how much effort are you putting into your GCSEs? If it's not a lot and you've still got straight A*s, then go for it. If you're working every week under a dim-halogen light trying to memorise why Hamlet is a ******* then I would not suggest doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Start with that work load, and maybe drop a couple of AS subjects when you get into your A2 year. 5 AS subjects isn't a huge work load, but 5 A2's + STEP will be tough.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can, although I don't think you would achieve much by carrying on English past AS as Maths offers are typically only on 3 A2s.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    That doesn't make sense. For Cambridge, yes, but for a Maths degree in general? You don't need anywhere near that.

ReputationRep:
    if you worked at the same level of intensity that you will have to at uni. then yes easily possible.

but the whole point of sixth form is to have fun! so i personally wouldn't.
    although with all the work you will be doing on STEP, maths and further maths lessons will become completely pointless, so i guess its not actually as bad as you think

ReputationRep:
    It depends how good you are at maths. I would start with 5 and see how you go; it is never too late to drop one (if you want to drop a subject once it is on your UCAS form you have to ask the universities for permission, however if it is not part of your offer there is nothing to stop you just not turning up to the exams!)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    We can't tell (and neither can you) how well you'll cope at AS/A2 level based on GCSEs. And we definitely don't know how you'll cope with STEP if GCSEs is all the evidence we've got.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    My friend's just been given an offer from Cambridge and she's taken exactly the same A levels as those :p: - having taken AS maths early she's also taken up additional further maths. She's predicted 6.5 As (including general waste of time) and is expected to get 1s in both step papers. However it's a lot of work and you must be prepared to put in the effort.

I think you probably COULD manage it, if you've got the motivation and enthusiasm, but it's easy to overestimate your abilities. Good luck anyway! Hope this helped a little, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I say do AS english lit, then drop it at A2 (or drop chemi)
    either way 4 A2s +STEP will keep you very busy

and fyi AS english lit won't be as interesting as gcse

ReputationRep:
    Omg, you're me!

I wanted to do intensive English A level this year (I'm in year 13) but I couldn't fit it on timetable. So, instead I took AS, hoping to sort of self teach A2, after gaining support from my AS teachers.
    Unfortunately, I'm very lazy, and couldn't be bothered to write my first essay.

Moral of the story is, you have to be willing to put in the work.

TIP: If your school teaches maths such that people who do double maths do maths A level in the first year, then great. If not, then try and teach yourself the A2, and also practice STEP papers and try and do papers I and II in the first year.
    Reason for this is that AS is so much easier than A2, for all subjects, workload-wise. You will have much more time to get used to STEP questions in the first year than in the second. Plus, getting a good grade in STEP I and II will do wonders for your application to anywhere, and even better, if you don't get the grade you want, you don't need to declare it, and you have a second chance.
    This way, you only need to be practicing STEP III in the second year, which will be easier as you'll have gotten used to STEP questions, and you won't need to practice paper II questions, which will give you over twice as much time to prepare.
    This extra time can be put towards English, or even doing more maths to try and make STEP III more accessible to you. Most people who take it don't have the knowledge to attempt all the questions (not that they need to). If I wasn't self teaching FP3, then 'd be quite disadvantaged I think. I wouldn't be able to attempt any questions on hyperbolics, polar co-ordinates, or advanced integration techniques.

I've typed alot, but my point is, do the work in year 12. I regret doing no work last year, and it's cost me alot. I'm struggling to cope with the synoptic aspect of A2 science right now because I don't know a thing from last year. I'm loving magnetism and all that, but the fact that I don't know any electricity from last year is really affecting me, which means from now until easter I'll be doing 2 years of work, plus I have to prepare for STEP, and I can't enjoy STEP if I'm doing it while stressed.

Well i am just spilling my guts on TSR today aren't I? BAWWW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    We can't tell (and neither can you) how well you'll cope at AS/A2 level based on GCSEs. And we definitely don't know how you'll cope with STEP if GCSEs is all the evidence we've got.
    Agree with this. 100% in GCSE Maths wouldn't mean you were necessarily good enough for STEP.

ReputationRep:
    You could start five A levels in Y12. That would give you a full timetable, but it's do-able. You will only need the STEP grades you mention if you apply to Cambridge to study Maths, for which your UCAS deadline will be mid-October 2011. In practice, that means you need to have chosen your course and college by the end of summer 2011. Then you can set your priorities in the light of your chosen course and the experience of Y12 workload.

ReputationRep:
    just do step and decide if you need more time for it or not

ReputationRep:
    If you work hard, than you can do it, GCSE's do not predict what you will get at A level, it does not come close to STEP either, i know people who get A* in GCSE maths and struggle with C1, so do not get complacent, work harder than you already have and you should do just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    Omg, you're me!

I wanted to do intensive English A level this year (I'm in year 13) but I couldn't fit it on timetable. So, instead I took AS, hoping to sort of self teach A2, after gaining support from my AS teachers.
    Unfortunately, I'm very lazy, and couldn't be bothered to write my first essay.

Moral of the story is, you have to be willing to put in the work.

TIP: If your school teaches maths such that people who do double maths do maths A level in the first year, then great. If not, then try and teach yourself the A2, and also practice STEP papers and try and do papers I and II in the first year.
    Reason for this is that AS is so much easier than A2, for all subjects, workload-wise. You will have much more time to get used to STEP questions in the first year than in the second. Plus, getting a good grade in STEP I and II will do wonders for your application to anywhere, and even better, if you don't get the grade you want, you don't need to declare it, and you have a second chance.
    This way, you only need to be practicing STEP III in the second year, which will be easier as you'll have gotten used to STEP questions, and you won't need to practice paper II questions, which will give you over twice as much time to prepare.
    This extra time can be put towards English, or even doing more maths to try and make STEP III more accessible to you. Most people who take it don't have the knowledge to attempt all the questions (not that they need to). If I wasn't self teaching FP3, then 'd be quite disadvantaged I think. I wouldn't be able to attempt any questions on hyperbolics, polar co-ordinates, or advanced integration techniques.

I've typed alot, but my point is, do the work in year 12. I regret doing no work last year, and it's cost me alot. I'm struggling to cope with the synoptic aspect of A2 science right now because I don't know a thing from last year. I'm loving magnetism and all that, but the fact that I don't know any electricity from last year is really affecting me, which means from now until easter I'll be doing 2 years of work, plus I have to prepare for STEP, and I can't enjoy STEP if I'm doing it while stressed.

Well i am just spilling my guts on TSR today aren't I? BAWWW
    Thanks I actually appreciate all the advice which you have provided me with so much.

Also thanks everyone else, I've nearly finished my maths AS (I started it 2 years early) and have been predicted or achieved high A's so I'm confident that my a levels won't be incredibly difficult, I think I will try English lit AS and drop it if it is far too time consuming

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point in doing more than necessary since you can get in anywhere with just three A-levels if you're good enough.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.