Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever seen your dad cry? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever seen your dad cry?
    No, Never!
    36.71%
    Yes, rarely though
    59.25%
    Yes, on many occasions!
    4.05%

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, when I told him he'd been a **** father and had seemed to want no part in my life.

It made me feel slightly sick.

I've also seen my stepdad cry on my 18th when I told him he was a great dad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen_Pinky)
    Yes...once, not long before he died. (R.I.P 02/01/2009)

He was in hospital getting treatment and my mum and I went in to visit him. He woke up because he had a nightmare about all these skeletons 'coming for him' and saying things to him, and I think it brought up a lot of fear and bad memories for him but I'm not sure what.

It was really upsetting for me to see as he was quite ill and in a hospital environment which seemed unnatural and he was quite distressed by it. :cry:
    Aww that so sad

ReputationRep:
    Yes, very, very rarely though, which is why it's heartbreaking. I hate my Dad being upset, although he always tries to hide it.

ReputationRep:
    Only when him and my mum split up.

ReputationRep:
    Yep!
    When his dad died. It was horrible, because as well as being upset about my granddad, I was upset seeind my dad like that.
    Since then I've seen him cry during films a number of times haha. He's sensitive bless him, so I bet he cries lots more when I don't see him.

ReputationRep:
    twice in my entire life, when my mums sister died and when his mum died but that was mainly 'teary eyes'
    And this other time at 1am on my 16th birthday, I asked him when is he going to start sorting out all the financial mess he's putting us all through and how we sometimes went to bed hungry. He thought I was being mean and I'm going to be a ******** all my life, then started to cry and walked out of the room, although I felt a bit guilty, it was his fault for making such stupid decisions in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Only when my mum told me that they were divorcing years ago, when he wasn't there, so he came into the room to see me all confused and got angry then upset and it was awful

ReputationRep:
    Never.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryDay)
    All the time! My dad cries in the Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, The Railway Children...

... and on a more serious note, at frequent points when my parents were in the process of splitting up, when his dad died, when I went to university...

Basically all the time. I've barely ever seen my mum cry though.
    Mine's the same. Except he cries at emotional music as well as films.
    But also, when i'm performing music or singing i always see him sniffling and shedding a tear, mainly down to his feeling of 'overwhelming pride'. Always makes me blush, and then realise how he's a sensitive soul when he's not being a ruthless businessman

ReputationRep:
    I never seen him cry but when my parents left after dropping me off at uni last year he had tears in his eyes.

My mum has said to me the only time she's seen him cry is when his parents died.

I'd hate to see him cry. I've seen my mum cry a few times and hated it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah when his mum died, i was about 5 but i still remember it to this day

ReputationRep:
    Once when his mum died, never since then though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Twice. One out of sadness, when my brother had just moved to Japan. He went around the back of the house so no-one would see him, it was so touching. The other time was out of happiness, when my mum really loved her christmas present and she started crying.
    if you dont mind me asking, what was the present?

ReputationRep:
    Once. Do. Not. Want.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. When his brother went through a bad breakup, a really really sad movie, leaving his parents and friends in India to come back to England every time we go on holiday there and that's about it I think lol. It's disconcerting to see your parents cry! I don't like it

ReputationRep:
    Yes, once, when I was very young (about 5ish). He'd had a fight with my mum and was crying in the bedroom.

ReputationRep:
    NEVER and that is not an overstatement.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think he has the capacity to feel upset enough to cry.

ReputationRep:
    Once, at his dad's funeral. It was awful - I had to keep my head right down so I wouldn't see. He asked me if I was embarrassed a few weeks later and I couldn't say no.

ReputationRep:
    Once. I hate remembering it, it brings horribly painful memories.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.