Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever seen your dad cry? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Have you ever seen your dad cry?
    No, Never!
    36.71%
    Yes, rarely though
    59.25%
    Yes, on many occasions!
    4.05%

ReputationRep:
    Once, sort of. It was because he was worried about me because I was sort of ill, it was awful.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. When he was getting really frustrated with his epilepsy getting way worse.

ReputationRep:
    Once when our old German Shepherd had to be put down, and quite a lot over the space of several months when my brother died.

To everyone who thinks their dad is too resilient to ever cry (like I did) - if there's one thing that will change that, I guarantee you it's losing a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judicious)
    Never...

Wouldn't want to either tbh!
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. When I was sixteen I met him for the first time and told him what I thought of him. That he was the worst dad ever to me, which he was,and it would've made me the happiest little girl in the world if he'd sent me just ONE birthday card.

Once... Hopefully never again.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is so sad.

ReputationRep:
    Yes on plenty of occasions including:

* When our cat was put to sleep
    * When his mother in law died
    * When his father in law died
    * When his grandfather died
    * When his best friend died
    * When his sister died
    * When we left the UK to move to the USA (as my two oldest brothers stayed in the UK)
    * When my three other brothers had their high school graduations
    * When one of my brothers had a bad accident and it was 'touch and go' for a while

and most recent of all...

* When he had to tell us my ***** of a mother had been having an affair with my friend's dad for three years, and that she was leaving to be with him, and this was the worst of the lost as I could see he was utterly heartbroken.

I love the fact my dad isn't afraid to show his emotions, I'd hate to have a dad who was emotionally cold!

ReputationRep:
    Never and my Mum rarely cries as well which in turn has made it difficult to cry in front of people haha. I run off and cry in secret.

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever seen him cry once, when my brother was really ill........it was the most upsetting experience i've ever been through seeing him that sad, and it was even harder trying to stay strong myself........it's a horrible memory because he usually stays strong no matter what and comforts everyone else, so the worst thing ever was to see him cry.....

ReputationRep:
    When his parents died, when he & my mam split up, when his brother died.

I hate seeing my dad cry

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The odd few films and when an old friend who he hadn't seen for years died.

ReputationRep:
    He's cried over the odd film, also cryed when Joe Strummer died.

Good for him.

When he was told I had a 1 in 3 chance of survival.

ReputationRep:
    I hate this stigmatisation around males crying, so what? I thought the patriarchal concept of macho men had faded, it's pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, when he took me and my brother to see where his Mum's ashes were scattered for the first time (she died when he was 13 so we never knew or met her.)

ReputationRep:
    Never, and I wouldn't want to.

ReputationRep:
    no never, my dads a hard man not a pansy

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen my father cry. I don't think there's much that would make him cry tbh

ReputationRep:
    I can only recall two occasions. The first was the day of his father's funeral and the second was when he was re-calling his experiences on a hospital ship during the Falklands War.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.