Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm in my deathly pale winter stage, my MAC foundation is now a wee bit too dark.

Current one is NW20, now logically I'm thinking NW15 should be a shade lighter? Am I correct? Anyone know? :redface:

I would pop into the shop but its miles and miles to my nearest makeup counter/shops.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, 15 is the next lightest. I use NC15 which is the "cool" shade, NW15 is the warm shade...

PS:- Try studio sculpt, it's my fave

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I reckon you should go a little lighter, or opt for a palette. Mix and match for a shade, or mix those foundations to get your shade.

Studio sculpt is a light coverage foundation

ReputationRep:
    NC15 is actually paler than NW15 but if you've been told you're warm toned I'd stick with NW15 for the winter.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sokissandmakeup.com/mac-c...s/shade-guide/

if you've got pink skin, go for nw, if you have yellow/gold skin, go for nc. 15 is the lightest, 55 is the darkest. so yes, nw15 is lighter.

ReputationRep:
    I am quite pale but got colour tested last week and was given NW20. They tried NW15 on me but my friend though it best to go for the slightly darker one for the benefit of tanning in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    i normally wear NW20 and switch to NW15 in winter so yea i think you should go for NW15 if you usually wear NW20

ReputationRep:
    I wear NW15 too, nice to know there are other deathly pale people out there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *k.a.t.e*)
    I wear NW15 too, nice to know there are other deathly pale people out there!
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I have concealer in NW25, but I really don't think my skin overall is a 25. Do you think I would be a NW20 in foundation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I have concealer in NW25, but I really don't think my skin overall is a 25. Do you think I would be a NW20 in foundation?
    It's pretty hard to say without knowing what you think is wrong with the NW25. If the tone is too dark, then you may be NW20. If it's the right tone but the colour is too pink, then you might be an NC25. Also, bear in mind that even though in theory the shades across MAC's products are supposed to match (e.g. NW25 should be the same for all concealers & all foundations), in reality there can be some differences in the colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    It's pretty hard to say without knowing what you think is wrong with the NW25. If the tone is too dark, then you may be NW20. If it's the right tone but the colour is too pink, then you might be an NC25. Also, bear in mind that even though in theory the shades across MAC's products are supposed to match (e.g. NW25 should be the same for all concealers & all foundations), in reality there can be some differences in the colour.
    Yeah basically I think NW25 works really well as a concealer on my blemishes but it's slightly too dark to use all over my face...

ReputationRep:
    Instead of me posting another thread about MAC... could someone explain the differences between their liquid foundations please? Eg. Just Face & Body, Studio...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    Also, bear in mind that even though in theory the shades across MAC's products are supposed to match (e.g. NW25 should be the same for all concealers & all foundations), in reality there can be some differences in the colour.
    Yeah I found this with different foundations even. Originally I had studio tech (in a compact) in NC44 but I got it when tanned and after a while I just found it too orange. Then I went for another makeover thing recently and they gave me NC44 but studio sculpt (the gel one in a tube) and it's fine... the colours don't even look the same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatalieMT)
    NC15 is actually paler than NW15 but if you've been told you're warm toned I'd stick with NW15 for the winter.
    Yeah cause NC is more yellow, isn't it? That's usually my problem with foundation, the yellow tones, and NC15 definitely looked yellow on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren--c)
    Yeah cause NC is more yellow, isn't it? That's usually my problem with foundation, the yellow tones, and NC15 definitely looked yellow on me.
    Yes if you look at this photo you can see the difference between NC15 and NW15, it's quite yellow but overall is paler. Credit to Capmorlovesmac at Specktra.

L-R Studio Fix Fluid in NC15, Studio Sculpt NC15, Studio Fix Fluid NW15.

Funny because in the bottles the shades look almost identical but when viewed like that they are so very different! Luckily for me I am more yellow toned but NC15 is just too dark for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    Instead of me posting another thread about MAC... could someone explain the differences between their liquid foundations please? Eg. Just Face & Body, Studio...
    Here's what I know about them atleast! Might be of some help.

Studio Sculpt SPF15 - Gel based foundation, very creamy - therefore quite longwearing and water resistant. Medium to high coverage as it is buildable. Satin finish. I'd say this is a pretty good bet for most people, it's almost all the best qualities of all the other foundations in one.

Select SPF15 - Water based foundation, non oily always a plus - won't slide off. Medium coverage. Natural matte finish, it's matte but not overly so. It's okay but in my opinion nothing special.

Studio Fix Fluid SPF15 - I believe this is also water based, again definitely oil free, shouldn't break you out, long wearing. It's nearing full coverage, I'd say it's the heaviest of all the liquid formulations. It's quite thick so needs to be blended very well. Matte finish. If you want a very natural look not for you.

Face and Body - Water based, water resistant. Very sheer, light very liquid consistency - blends easily. Coverage is particularly natural but is buildable, it's good if you don't have any blemishes etc to hide but just want to enhance already good skin. Contains emollients, good for moisturising the skin but can make the finish look shiny. You get a lot of product for your money but I'd say it's quite a basic formula.

Mineralize Satinfinish SPF15 - I always loved this as it was geared towards those with dry skins. Contains micro minerals to reflect light, smooth satin finish with a slightly luminous look, think 'dewy'. Low to medium coverage, but again buildable. Doesn't tend to have great staying power needs to be set with powder, very good for Summer - don't wear it on a night out. I've heard reports that this can oxidize easily and change colour on the face although I never had that problem.

ReputationRep:
    Funny because in the bottles the shades look almost identical but when viewed like that they are so very different!
    I use Studio Fix powder anyway, I've never tried the liquid ones from MAC. I'm using that new Maybelline creamy one the now cause I don't have much of my MAC one left but I don't like it at all so I might have to take a trip back to the MAC counter soon, if I can keep the money by.

ReputationRep:
    Here's what I know about them atleast! Might be of some help.

Studio Sculpt SPF15 - Gel based foundation, very creamy - therefore quite longwearing and water resistant. Medium to high coverage as it is buildable. Satin finish. I'd say this is a pretty good bet for most people, it's almost all the best qualities of all the other foundations in one.

Select SPF15 - Water based foundation, non oily always a plus - won't slide off. Medium coverage. Natural matte finish, it's matte but not overly so. It's okay but in my opinion nothing special.

Studio Fix Fluid SPF15 - I believe this is also water based, again definitely oil free, shouldn't break you out, long wearing. It's nearing full coverage, I'd say it's the heaviest of all the liquid formulations. It's quite thick so needs to be blended very well. Matte finish. If you want a very natural look not for you.

Face and Body - Water based, water resistant. Very sheer, light very liquid consistency - blends easily. Coverage is particularly natural but is buildable, it's good if you don't have any blemishes etc to hide but just want to enhance already good skin. Contains emollients, good for moisturising the skin but can make the finish look shiny. You get a lot of product for your money but I'd say it's quite a basic formula.

Mineralize Satinfinish SPF15 - I always loved this as it was geared towards those with dry skins. Contains micro minerals to reflect light, smooth satin finish with a slightly luminous look, think 'dewy'. Low to medium coverage, but again buildable. Doesn't tend to have great staying power needs to be set with powder, very good for Summer - don't wear it on a night out. I've heard reports that this can oxidize easily and change colour on the face although I never had that problem.
    Thank you very much! Very helpful!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.