Turn on thread page Beta

Things that annoy me. watch

ReputationRep:
    "The Netherlands" is called "THE NETHERLANDS". Holland is a PART of the Netherlands. The country is NOT called Holland.

Great Britain refers to only the island comprising of England, Wales and Scotland. It does NOT include Northern Ireland and the other smaller islands surrounding Britain.

The US is the United States of America. "America" on it's own could refer to ANYTHING on the American continent, from Canada all the way down to Argentina and Chile.

Just felt I should mention it...

ReputationRep:
    Stfu Gtfo

ReputationRep:
    I NEED your David T icon soo much!! and yeah, good point lol - only didn't realise some of that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    The US is the United States of America. "America" on it's own could refer to ANYTHING on the American continent, from Canada all the way down to Argentina and Chile.
    And how do you call, in English, a person from the US??

In other languages there is a specific term to define a US citizen, while in English there isn't. FAIL LANGUAGE*

* I like it so much though :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You think we don't realise this? Please, next time you feel the need to speak such inane rubbish do so to yourself...and pray that the pain causes you to learn not to do so again...

ReputationRep:
    .. Thanks?

(Original post by Frieza)
    Fat.

It annoys me that I don't know you IRL.

ReputationRep:

In other languages there is a specific term to define a US citizen, while in English there isn't. FAIL LANGUAGE*

* I like it so much though :cool:

You would refer to a person as an "American" but that does not mean the country is called America. just as you could call a Canadian, a Mexican, a Brazilian or a Chilean an "American" if you so wanted.
    Also, the fact that English is the only language which doesn't have a different name says something doesn't it?!

ReputationRep:
    You need to PM me your geography anger. That way there won't be *****y replies and I'll slowly have a decent knowledge of geography (literally ALLL we did in school was the slave trade, tectonic plates, and sweatshops, I have no useful knowledge like this. Although I knew the ones posted)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    .. Thanks?

Fat.
    HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHhahahahahaha hahahaa

ReputationRep:
    And how do you call, in English, a person from the US?
    You can call us fat if you really want to, those of us who aren't will find it funny and those of us who are will hopefully gain some incentive to lose some damn weight.
    At any rate, while the country should be called "the US" and not "America," people from the US are "Americans," since every other country in the Americas has a word denoting its citizens (Canadians, Mexicans, Argentinians, Hondurans, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    You think we don't realise this? Please, next time you feel the need to speak such inane rubbish do so to yourself...and pray that the pain causes you to learn not to do so again...
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1161634

Read this.
    I don't think "we" all know this, considering how many people want to go to America or Holland :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat.american.kid)
    You can call us fat if you really want to, those of us who aren't will find it funny and those of us who are will hopefully gain some incentive to lose some damn weight.
    At any rate, while the country should be called "the US" and not "America," people from the US are "Americans," since every other country in the Americas has a word denoting its citizens (Canadians, Mexicans, Argentinians, Hondurans, etc.)

A "Yankee" is also a term used to describe a person from the US in the English language.
    Due to americanisation of the English language they like to eradicate this fact, however.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is leading to some valuable conclusions or OP just wants to enlighten people?

ReputationRep:
    I feel your geography rage and pain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    A "Yankee" is also a term used to describe a person from the US in the English language.
    Due to americanisation of the English language they like to eradicate this fact, however.
    Yeah, we tend not to like it since it was the derogatory term the southern states referred to the slave-liberating northern states as during the civil war. I still hear it used though; it's hardly eradicated.

ReputationRep:
    Being geographically correct is a pretty important skill to have. As, if not more, important as being able to juggle flaming skittles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat.american.kid)
    Yeah, we tend not to like it since it was the derogatory term the southern states referred to the slave-liberating northern states as during the civil war. I still hear it used though; it's hardly eradicated.
    It's original connotations weren't though.
    And it basically is in English (as in, proper english). it's even defined as a historic term in the dictionary and everytingting.

I may contact Obama and get him to come up with a word. ha.

ReputationRep:
    you need to get a life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    This thread is leading to some valuable conclusions or OP just wants to enlighten people?
    a bit of both

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.