Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Things that annoy me. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayn)
    you need to get a life.
    That is the most useless argument ever. If I didn't already have a life, I'd be dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    That is the most useless argument ever. If I didn't already have a life, I'd be dead.
    great comeback.

Yeah it really annoys me when my mum says that! So you can add that to the list. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    It's original connotations weren't though.
    And it basically is in English (as in, proper english). it's even defined as a historic term in the dictionary and everytingting.

I may contact Obama and get him to come up with a word. ha.
    I'm trying to come up with one, but it's difficult. My country's name is too generic. I fear only citizens of the UAE share in our plight, ironically enough.

Personally though, I use New Yorker for an identifier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat.american.kid)
    I'm trying to come up with one, but it's difficult. My country's name is too generic. I fear only citizens of the UAE share in our plight, ironically enough.

I normally define US-citizens by the states they live in like "californian", "louisianan", "new yorker", "texan" etc.

ReputationRep:

Citizens of the UAE are called Emirati's :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    If Holland is part of the Netherlands & people want to go to that part of the Netherlands called Holland then why can't they say that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judicious)
    Citizens of the UAE are called Emirati's :fyi:
    That's very good to know, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I normally define US-citizens by the states they live in like "californian", "louisianan", "new yorker", "texan" etc.
    I suspect that may get a little rough for Massachusetts, but you could always use the catch-all, "New Eglander." It's definitely better than "American."

ReputationRep:
    I've been told numerous times by the Dutch that they call their country either Holland or the Netherlands, it's the same thing - although it technically isn't. So if the Dutch don't mind, why do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    If Holland is part of the Netherlands & people want to go to that part of the Netherlands called Holland then why can't they say that?
    Because I think the question was "what country would you go to if you had to leave the uk," with Holland not being a valid answer to that question, though probably more useful since Holland is far different from, say, Greenland.

ReputationRep:
    Just a sec..

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Because I think the question was "what country would you go to if you had to leave the uk," with Holland not being a valid answer to that question, though probably more useful since Holland is far different from, say, Greenland.
    Greenland is part of Denmark, not the Netherlands. Anyway, Holland is just the west part of the Netherlands. I know many dutch people call the Netherlands Holland, but I bet most of the people who do that are from Holland specifically. It's like how sometimes English people say England when really they're talking about something that applies to the whole UK. Like the prime minister of England, the Queen of England, the English government, etc.

ReputationRep:
    the fact that English is the only language which doesn't have a different name says something doesn't it?!

ReputationRep:
    Tbh as long as I know what people are talking about, I don't mind as much.

ReputationRep:
    "The Netherlands" is called "THE NETHERLANDS". Holland is a PART of the Netherlands. The country is NOT called Holland.

Great Britain refers to only the island comprising of England, Wales and Scotland. It does NOT include Northern Ireland and the other smaller islands surrounding Britain.

The US is the United States of America. "America" on it's own could refer to ANYTHING on the American continent, from Canada all the way down to Argentina and Chile.

Just felt I should mention it...

ReputationRep:
    "The Netherlands" is called "THE NETHERLANDS". Holland is a PART of the Netherlands. The country is NOT called Holland.

Great Britain refers to only the island comprising of England, Wales and Scotland. It does NOT include Northern Ireland and the other smaller islands surrounding Britain.

The US is the United States of America. "America" on it's own could refer to ANYTHING on the American continent, from Canada all the way down to Argentina and Chile.

Just felt I should mention it...
    Not really. I mean yes, the term America can mean two things. The US or the entire region -- but not a continent. There's no single "American" continent. There are two continents in the region. The North American continent (Canada, US, Mexico, etc) and the South American continent (Argentina, Brazil, etc). Together they do not form a single continent. They form the Americas (or America ofc) which is... I don't know. It's not a continent though :p:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.