Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I are hoping to go to Indonesia this summer - it looks amazing and a lot less touristy than Thailand, should be awesome!

Just wondering if anyone had any experiences or tips for us? Where to go, where to avoid, how long to go for, neighbouring countries worth a look?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Go to The Philippines instead! It's the best place I've ever been. I liked it more than Indonesia, but that's just me...

ReputationRep:
    I have only visited Bali so can only comment on that. I stayed in Kuta which is busy and buzzing. However explored the rest of the island, hired a driver for the day. Good surf, amazing food, cheap clothes, it was very very cheap!!!

If it wasn't so far I'd visit again in a second.

ReputationRep:
    if your after man whores go to bali.

ReputationRep:
    I just got back from Indonesia today, no word of a lie.
    Visited Sumatra, Java and Bali. I would recommend to everyone to visit the first 2 Islands for sure, Lake Toba and Bukit Lawang in Sumatra are a must along with Prambanan/Borobodur (done in the morning) and climbing either to the Kawah Ijen or Bromo (again in the morning) in Java.
    I'm sure there is far more to see on the other Islands and hope to go back in the future, but I'd personally avoid Bali, specifically Kuta it's just Benidorm but for Aussies. While in a large group of friends up for a party Kuta would be fun, I found it atrocious the beach and sea are unbelievably dirty, there are decades worth of plastic floating in the wake. (Indonesia lacks a proper waste removal structure, everything is thrown into rivers, and in turn the sea) Worst of all are the incessant street merchants and taxi drivers who were a million times worse than in any other part of Indonesia. If you want good surfing spots, the Islands off sumatra, mentawai I think are far better than Kuta and less spoilt, if you want white beaches, diving, mushrooms and parties the Gili Islands are again less spoilt than Kuta.
    Go for as long as you can take off work/school whatever and for as long as you can make your budget stretch (if you don't drink alcohol, that is ridiculously far, even including alcohol it is still far cheaper than here.)
    I met some of the friendliest people in the world in Sumatra and Java, always smiling and always willing to help you (though often with some sort of small remuneration)

Hope it's of some help

ReputationRep:
    Spent 3 weeks this summer working for an environmental conservation charity in the Sulawesi area of Indonesia- it was literally incredible you are going to have an amazing time. Spent some time in Jakarta but main highlight was definitly the off the beaten track parts.
    Integrate with the locals as much as possible they are wicked!! Spent a week living with an indonesian family (literally like shared the same shack) and it was actually one of the nicest experiences Ive ever had! VISIT THE RAINFOREST its literally amazing, spent a week doing habitat surveys and what not there and loved it, the trees are like WOW and you see so much, so many species are endemic to that part of Indo so you literally won't get them anywhere else in the world. Like particular species of monkey, civits, etc, also strangler fig trees are a must. Coolest tree ever.
    Definitly check out the rainforest.

And if youre into it, the scuba diving there is actually the best in the world. ever ever.
    Spent a week in Wakatobi national park monitoring coral reef there- it was the most magnificent diving ive ever done- the reef is incredible, so many fish its literally insane, the waters really warm and youll just never get an experience like it anywhere else i guarantee you.

I know this is a very ecologist/environmentalists view point on Indo but if youre into that sort of stuff theres literally nowhere better to travel to.
    Hope you have an amazing time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonMinx)
    I have only visited Bali so can only comment on that. I stayed in Kuta which is busy and buzzing. However explored the rest of the island, hired a driver for the day. Good surf, amazing food, cheap clothes, it was very very cheap!!!

If it wasn't so far I'd visit again in a second.
    Heh, seriously? I found Bali one of the most expensive places I've ever been too I spoke with many of the locals, and they all admit to charging a hierarchy of prices for foreigners -- specifically, whites and Hispanics get charged up to 300% of the actual price, any non-Indonesian Asian at least 200 - 250% of the actual price, and Indonesian natives around 150%. I find it bloody insane, and I am an Indonesian myself, so being charged RP. 500,000 for a beach chair is revolting at best :rolleyes:

But if you're a foreigner, you probably won't be hit so bad with this price thing -- taking into consideration exchange rates and all!

Nevertheless, terrible pricings aside I think Indonesia is a wonderful place to go to (especially Bali or Java) ... not being patriotic or anything!

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Indonesian. you should go here. Bali is not the one, there are other places that more beautiful. you should go to
    1. Bromo Mount, East Java
    2. Top of Jayawijaya Mount, Papua
    3. Three Colors Lake in Kelimutu Mount, Flores, NTT
    4. Komodo Island
    5. Senggigi beach, Lombok
    6. Bunaken Island, Manado, North Sulawesi
    etc..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.