Turn on thread page Beta

HELP Music A level Performance piece suggestions for flute watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in dire need of help in being pointed in the right direction for a piece... ideally it has to be 5-8 mins long otherwise i'd need more than one piece.. I'm about grade 7 standard. HELP pleaseeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitey=])
    I'm in dire need of help in being pointed in the right direction for a piece... ideally it has to be 5-8 mins long otherwise i'd need more than one piece.. I'm about grade 7 standard. HELP pleaseeee
    Why don't you go on the ABRSM website and look at the grade 7 syllabus for some ideas? Most of the music for the higher grades is about that length or longer so you shouldn't need to worry. Get on spotify and have a listen until you find something long enough that you like. Also, aren't you learning anything at the moment that you can play?

ReputationRep:
    the grade seven exam pieces are really short and nowhere near that length =/

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the Hamburger Sonata by Telemann; it's fairly easy and should last you six minutes if you play both movements.

ReputationRep:
    Suite in A minor by Telemann
    About grade 6ish standard, loads of movements so you can make it go on for as long as you like :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitey=])
    the grade seven exam pieces are really short and nowhere near that length =/
    Well then what's the trouble with playing two? It's not going to be much work for them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't really know much about the flute but this sounds tricky to me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7esW...eature=related
    It's also a great song.
    (You would probably have to arrange the synth stuff in the middle for flute though)

Faure Flute Fantasie Op 79.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCtH42vjzsU

ReputationRep:
    For my performance, we're actively encouraged to compile repertoire, as it gives shows a broader range of ability. How about a couple of movements from a Handel Sonata? They're on the ABRSM syllabus for grades 6 to Diploma standard, so I'm sure you could find something there. I did the Handel Flute sonata in A minor for my AS performance and got full marks, so if you did something like it might be a good idea! The standard for that piece was only grade 6(ish) too, so it shouldn't present too much of a challenge.

If you're looking for something harder, then you could try looking at one of the Grade 7 ABRSM list 'C' pieces, as they're generally more contemporary and leave more room for expression.

Hope this helps a little .

ReputationRep:
    The Handel Sonata in A minor is good, or alternatively try the Bach E flat major or G minor sonatas. It depends how ambitious you want to be. You could look at a couple of movements from the Rutter Suite Antique, or attempt the Berkeley, Mathias or Cooke Sonatinas if you prefer modern stuff.

Most of the French stuff is probably beyond grade 7, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    The Handel Sonata in A minor is good, or alternatively try the Bach E flat major or G minor sonatas. It depends how ambitious you want to be. You could look at a couple of movements from the Rutter Suite Antique, or attempt the Berkeley, Mathias or Cooke Sonatinas if you prefer modern stuff.

Most of the French stuff is probably beyond grade 7, to be honest.
    The Berkeley Sonatina's an ABRSM diploma piece! (I'm playing it for mine, heh :p:). It is gorgeous though, and it'd certainly give you very good marks if you played it well...

Ooh and the Rutter. That's another *:sogood:* piece.

(Ok so that wasn't a very helpful post, I just can't resist the opportunity to talk about flute music, sorry!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabobble)
    The Berkeley Sonatina's an ABRSM diploma piece! (I'm playing it for mine, heh :p:). It is gorgeous though, and it'd certainly give you very good marks if you played it well...

Ooh and the Rutter. That's another *:sogood:* piece.

(Ok so that wasn't a very helpful post, I just can't resist the opportunity to talk about flute music, sorry!)
    The first movement is only grade 7, though - IIRC, it's the third movement that's the hardest, but the first and second movements would be well over 5 minutes, or in fact the first might be on its own.

And I love the Rutter too. Perhaps the Prelude and the Ostinato together would be good?

(And don't worry, so do I)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.