Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    well i want to study in America, so have to pass SAT Reasoning test and other subject tests (math,physics). do you guys have any experience of those? i have no idea what these tests are like and how hard it is to pass them. esp with the "perfect score" :rolleyes: any advice is welcome

ReputationRep:
    I sat the SAT reasoning test. nothing impossible, really. i bought the book and in a month or so i studied it all, including the parts of math that i'd never done before. i've done this individually, sometimes with a friend, but never with a teacher. and i got a pretty high score considering all these factors (plus the fact that i'm not a native speaker). i think that if you are averagely clever and you take sometimes to look into it, possibly with a specific book and a competent teacher, you should be fine. actually, you can ace it.
    the only bad thing about the sat is the timing. you have a really short time to do tons of exercises of different subjects. that said, the grammar part is fairly easy and the maths part is not impossible. the trickiest part is probably the reading comprehension because even if you do understand everything that is written in the text, the questions are really confusing and it often looks like there is more than one likely answer.
    i'd really advise you to buy the official sat guide (or something like that, blue thick book with some orange on the cover and the baron's guide which contains excellent explanations and tricks).
    i don't know anything about the subject based sats though.
    good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alix.alicis)
    I sat the SAT reasoning test. nothing impossible, really. i bought the book and in a month or so i studied it all, including the parts of math that i'd never done before. i've done this individually, sometimes with a friend, but never with a teacher. and i got a pretty high score considering all these factors (plus the fact that i'm not a native speaker). i think that if you are averagely clever and you take sometimes to look into it, possibly with a specific book and a competent teacher, you should be fine. actually, you can ace it.
    the only bad thing about the sat is the timing. you have a really short time to do tons of exercises of different subjects. that said, the grammar part is fairly easy and the maths part is not impossible. the trickiest part is probably the reading comprehension because even if you do understand everything that is written in the text, the questions are really confusing and it often looks like there is more than one likely answer.
    i'd really advise you to buy the official sat guide (or something like that, blue thick book with some orange on the cover and the baron's guide which contains excellent explanations and tricks).
    i don't know anything about the subject based sats though.
    good luck!!!

yeah i did maths practice test on collegeboard.com and my timing was pretty terrible lol oh and where did u do the test? in ur school?

i guess practice makes perfect! :p: cheers you have really reassured me gotta buy the study guide and get going:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boomka)
    yeah i did maths practice test on collegeboard.com and my timing was pretty terrible lol oh and where did u do the test? in ur school?

i guess practice makes perfect! :p: cheers you have really reassured me gotta buy the study guide and get going:rolleyes:
    well....you'll get better with the timing. and also consider that it is way easier to do stuff on paper than online. you can take side notes and write down whatever you want, not to mention that you can use a graphic calculator (or any kind of calculator really, but the graphic one is really handy). so don't worry about that!
    i took it on june 6th, just randomly really. i'd never thought of seriously going to america but i thought i'd give it a shot. then, i got into cambridge :eek: so i think i would have turned down any american university. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alix.alicis)
    well....you'll get better with the timing. and also consider that it is way easier to do stuff on paper than online. you can take side notes and write down whatever you want, not to mention that you can use a graphic calculator (or any kind of calculator really, but the graphic one is really handy). so don't worry about that!
    i took it on june 6th, just randomly really. i'd never thought of seriously going to america but i thought i'd give it a shot. then, i got into cambridge :eek: so i think i would have turned down any american university. :yep:
    I have to (unfortunately) agree with the cantabrigian here. The first time I took a practice test I barely even finished the questions within the time limit. The more you get used to the types of questions on the test, though, the less time you waste reading the individual instructions and the more manageable the test becomes. Practice practice practice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.