Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMS2010)
    Hi

What background checks will Goldman Sachs IB in the UK carry out?

Will they want all jobs I've ever had or just current employer?
    Yes, they're very very specific, they want all employers and dates, as long as you've not lied, you should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMS2010)
    Hi

What background checks will Goldman Sachs IB in the UK carry out?

Will they want all jobs I've ever had or just current employer?
    You have to provide details of all the jobs you've put down as part of your application, e.g duration dates, company address and contacts etc for every single thing you've put down under work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I certainly haven't lied so fingers crossed.

Do you know who they will get references from - will it just be names I provide or will they get contact details of all my ex-managers through the info I provide on the online system?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I also got a serious problem! I did A-level ages ago but I didn mention in my cv as i screwed up the whole exam...i only mention my current uni studies, work experience n GCSEs...can the banks check out about this?

The point is...if i mentioned about my A-level, most BB request UCAS 300 or above which i dun hv, i'm afraid the banks will reject me straight away even I got a first in my uni tho

(Original post by anfitrion)
    Boy, you are not particularly a role model!

Nobody gives a damn about your societies.
    For previous jobs they will only ask whether you actually worked there during the dates indicated. If that is the case, they will tick the box. You will normally still need a reference though, but it doesn't have to be your boss.
    Being caught cheating in an exam is more serious. I wouldn't say it's a deal break, so just cross fingers.
    what if it is an overseas company?

ReputationRep:
    here is an interesting scenario -

A friend of mine got 3rd in undergrad from a target school. Then ended up doing a Masters in not-so famous school. Applied for IBD and then got offered a position on their grad scheme this year.... He mentioned that he got a 3rd in application and did not advertise that on his CV. To be honest, I cant blame him, advertising 3rd on your CV is not a good thing to do........ but the fact that he stated that he got a third in his application..... is that good enough?
    Will he get rejected when they finish the background check? Keep in mind, he mentioned that on his application but not on his CV......... also, he ended up getting a distinction in his masters....

if you are on a MSci course and u say you are on a BSci course. but you are prepared to drop from MSci to BSci next year (due to college policy), would this fail a background check?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, please could you advise how many years of work history do Goldman Sachs check as part of their background check, is it 5 years or all the employers on your CV.

Thank you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.