Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm new here so I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong place.
    Anyway, I'm in year 11 and in the process of choosing my A-levels.
    My ambition is to do a Law Degree and become a Solicitor.

However, I am stuck on what to take for A-level.
    My choices so far are: History, Law, Psychology & Sociology.

I know that Law is not preferred but I honestly don't know what to take and I want to see whether I will enjoy the subject for Uni. But, if I knew something else to take, I wouldn't mind dropping it.

Please could you give me some advice on what to take and whether my choices are suitable?
    Also, I know Uni's like Eng lit but I honestly wouldn't get an A so I don't want to take it.

Help would be very appreciated!

Tay

ReputationRep:
    A foreign language may be helpful

ReputationRep:
    English Literature/A language/a science subject (Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Biology) would be preferred.

ReputationRep:
    Maths or a science I would suggest instead of psychology or sociology.

ReputationRep:
    I would say maybe both English Lang and Lit, with History and maybe a language. But It really is up to you, what you like and how good you are at those subjects. Maybe if you prefer a Science subject to a Language take that. Maths is a very versatile subject so maybe have a look at that.

ReputationRep:
    History: Very good choice.
    Law: Not necessary for law degree. In fact, some prefer you not to have it. Perhaps a language instead?
    Psychology: Not bad choice. Perhaps considered your fourth if you change your others?
    Sociology: Not a very recognised subject. Recommend changing to Maths or a science instead.

So History, MFL, Maths/science & Psychology would be a good mix.

But then, don't just change for that. If you enjoy the subjects you've chosen go for it Would definately think about changing at least one of Law or Sociology though.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest though, how you do in the subjects are obviously VERY important if not more important than what the subject is itself (minus media studies or critical thinking).

No no no. Law + Psychology + Sociology = doss.
    Do English Lit/History/Maths/Science

ReputationRep:
    Maybe replace one of those subjects, preferably Sociology, with a more traditional/perceived as rigorous subject, such as English Lit, Maths or a Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndercoverChemist)
    I would say maybe both English Lang and Lit, with History and maybe a language. But It really is up to you, what you like and how good you are at those subjects. Maybe if you prefer a Science subject to a Language take that. Maths is a very versatile subject so maybe have a look at that.
    Yeah, well I have actually been thinking about Biology or maths but I'm just quite worried that I wont get the A grade I need. I do like both subjects but I've heard that A level in both of them is incredibly hard! But I don't mind putting in the hard work, I'm just not sure it would pay off anyway.

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    History: Very good choice.
    Law: Not necessary for law degree. In fact, some prefer you not to have it. Perhaps a language instead?
    Psychology: Not bad choice. Perhaps considered your fourth if you change your others?
    Sociology: Not a very recognised subject. Recommend changing to Maths or a science instead.

So History, MFL, Maths/science & Psychology would be a good mix.

But then, don't just change for that. If you enjoy the subjects you've chosen go for it Would definitely think about changing at least one of Law or Sociology though.

I have taken Spanish at GCSE and I do enjoy it and I am going to do well in it too, and I also have a GCSE in French. But I don't think I'd enjoy Spanish at A-level.

I know I am definately going to do History and Psychology because a career route in psychology is one of my other options too.
    I am really considering not taking Law and Sociology but I just have no idea what to take and what I would be able to get the grades in. I was thinking Biology but I'm worried I wouldn't do so well.

Thanks for your help!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tay594)
    Yeah, well I have actually been thinking about Biology or maths but I'm just quite worried that I wont get the A grade I need. I do like both subjects but I've heard that A level in both of them is incredibly hard! But I don't mind putting in the hard work, I'm just not sure it would pay off anyway.

Thanks for your help!
    Science and Maths actually require relatively little work if you pick it up first time. In comparison to English Lit, History and languages at least.

A science and Maths is definately doable (many people do it).

But if you're not comfortable with both, go for Maths over Biology.

History, Law, Psychology and Maths wouldn't be a bad mix.

History, Biology, Psychology and Maths would be a good mix.

History, English Lit/Modern Foreign Language, Psychology and Maths would be an excellent mix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexCisneros)
    To be honest though, how you do in the subjects are obviously VERY important if not more important than what the subject is itself (minus media studies or critical thinking).

Yes, that it what I am trying to think too. But I do want to get the right options, I just need to make sure I will be motivated enough with the subjects I choose.
    I did did take two MFL at GCSE. And I am going to drop Sociology or Law if I can difure something to take that I would do well in. I am thinking of Biology, I just need to see.

Yeah, I have done media at GCSE and I am definately not doing it at A level
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    History/Language/Psychology/Science would be better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    Maybe replace one of those subjects, preferably Sociology, with a more traditional/perceived as rigorous subject, such as English Lit, Maths or a Science.
    Really depends where the OP is applying. Sociology was fine for Cambridge for my course, and for my friend for Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    No no no. Law + Psychology + Sociology = doss.
    Do English Lit/History/Maths/Science
    Well I am definately taking Psychology because that is another career route I am considering.
    I will definately drop Sociology or/and Law but I just need to make sure that I take something I could do well in.
    I am thinking about maths now.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest English (preferably Lit., but some places will accept Lang/Lit as an acceptable alternative), History and Sociology as base subjects. One other - maybe a language or another essay or logic based subject would be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    Science and Maths actually require relatively little work if you pick it up first time. In comparison to English Lit, History and languages at least.

A science and Maths is definitely doable (many people do it).

But if you're not comfortable with both, go for Maths over Biology.

History, Law, Psychology and Maths wouldn't be a bad mix.

History, Biology, Psychology and Maths would be a good mix.

History, English Lit/Modern Foreign Language, Psychology and Maths would be an excellent mix.

Thanks, you have been so helpful!!
    I would definately not take both Biology and Maths.
    Why would you choose Maths over Biology?
    Which would you say is the hardest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechosennerf)
    I'd suggest English (preferably Lit., but some places will accept Lang/Lit as an acceptable alternative), History and Sociology as base subjects. One other - maybe a language or another essay or logic based subject would be good.

Thanks, I am just really worried that I wouldn't get an A in English Lang, I am not bad at English but I'm not amazing.
    My two definite so far are History and Psychology.

Thankyou xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechosennerf)
    Really depends where the OP is applying. Sociology was fine for Cambridge for my course, and for my friend for Law.
    :dontknow: As you said, it depends on where the OP is going to apply. I think quite a few universities mightn't look on Sociology so favourably, but that's not to say I've got anything against it!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.