Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam151)
    philosophy always goes down well and i think a science as well as it demonstrates analytical skill
    What exactly is philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    History, English Lit, Foreign language- All good for Law.

Law itself isn't a preferred subject at all, in fact some places prefer you not to have it (including Exeter). But if you want to know if you like the subject before taking it at degree level, it would make sense.

Sociology is the softer subject, though of course most universities see it as fine, and it's mainly a case of how you do across the board rather than what you've taken.

Psychology is maybe good for Law (in my opinion, and also my mum who studied Law at university seemed to think it might go quite well. :dontknow:) And obviously if Psychology is a career you're considering as well, take it.

If you also get the chance to study Critical Thinking (as an extra) I'd recommend it as it would bring your analysis and critical skills up to a high level. Though it's always hit and miss if you get a good teacher or not... Something you don't know until you take it.

Yeah and I have looked at all of the university websites and most of them say they do accept Law, not a single one has said no yet, but whether or not to trust that I'm not sure.

Yes I am not going to do Sociology anymore.. I've had so much advice from here not to that I don't even know why I thought about it! And I am excited to take psychology! I think I will enjoy it a lot and in my opinion, that is really important!

Ahhh okay, thanks for that!
    So, History, Psychology, Biology, and Law(maybe) ? ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LP_18)
    OP, I did psychology, sociology, law and politics and got all offers for 4/5 unis I applied for for Law, I think as long as you're achieving high grades you should be fine. However I wouldn't recommend subjects like Media or Art, those are usually considered soft subjects, especially if you're aiming for Law.
    Oh really, what Uni's did you apply for?
    How did you find psychology and law?
    Yes, I'm not really a creative person anyway that's more my sister!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tay594)
    Yeah and I have looked at all of the university websites and most of them say they do accept Law, not a single one has said no yet, but whether or not to trust that I'm not sure.

Yes I am not going to do Sociology anymore.. I've had so much advice from here not to that I don't even know why I thought about it! And I am excited to take psychology! I think I will enjoy it a lot and in my opinion, that is really important!

I just don't understand why you are so vehement about doing law A-level?

ReputationRep:
    things like :

Govt & politics
    History
    Maths
    Economics
    etc

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm new here so I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong place.
    Anyway, I'm in year 11 and in the process of choosing my A-levels.
    My ambition is to do a Law Degree and become a Solicitor.

However, I am stuck on what to take for A-level.
    My choices so far are: History, Law, Psychology & Sociology.

I know that Law is not preferred but I honestly don't know what to take and I want to see whether I will enjoy the subject for Uni. But, if I knew something else to take, I wouldn't mind dropping it.

Please could you give me some advice on what to take and whether my choices are suitable?
    Also, I know Uni's like Eng lit but I honestly wouldn't get an A so I don't want to take it.

Help would be very appreciated!

Tay

Look at my subjects in my sig... :reel:

People always say there a great combo for law..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5516630.ece

"Although the London School of Economics highlights law as a “non-preferred” A-level subject, Policy Exchange suggests that other highly selective universities hold the same view privately but are failing to make this clear in public.
    "
    Yes.
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...uirements.html
    "Applicants are not required to have studied Law at GCSE or A level. Those who have done so tend not to have any special advantage once they begin studying Law at university."

Please show me where it suggests taking law will affect your first year, and where the lecturers have to beat the subject out of you?
    And if you look at LSE's blacklist, you'll find that they will accept people with two traditional subjects in addition to the 'soft' option. They just prefer more traditional subjects because they believe it gives you a better grounding.
    If you look at my previous post I gave my opinion on what you said. You don't need to send me links to stuff I already know.

ReputationRep:

In which case - Psychology and Biology would complement each-other excellently, and if you are still unsure at the end of your degree whether you want to Law or Psychology, you'll be in a great position to take Psychology.

As for the Law degree, the History A level is perfect, so now we have Biology - History - Psychology.

And the Law A level? Unless you find anything you think you'd get better grades in/enjoy more, yes, I'd take it. Good luck with your choice.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand why you are so vehement about doing law A-level?

Because I don't know what else to take!
    I don't want to give myself too much of a workload.
    I'm probably only going to do Law AS, not A level.

I really just don't know what to take instead.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that was so much help!!
    I think I mainly want to do law because I just want to be sure that I'm making the right decision for Uni.
    What is it like in college? Also, what else did you take?

Now I'm thinking: History, Law, Psychology & Biology.. does that sound okay?
    You're welcome.
    When I did law it was via video conference. I'd be given a load of questions for research and I'd have to spend like 6 hours preparing for a one hour seminar the following week. We then were given weekly assignments to reiterate what we learned. Although I assume you'll have a teacher. The only reason I took it was to make sure it's what I wanted to do.
    I took english literature, biology, law and business. Two subjects which top unis dont like, yet I got offers from all of my choices within a few weeks of sending off my ucas. People make too big a deal out of a level choices.
    Good luck with everything.

ReputationRep:
    In which case - Psychology and Biology would complement each-other excellently, and if you are still unsure at the end of your degree whether you want to Law or Psychology, you'll be in a great position to take Psychology.

As for the Law degree, the History A level is perfect, so now we have Biology - History - Psychology.

And the Law A level? Unless you find anything you think you'd get better grades in/enjoy more, yes, I'd take it. Good luck with your choice.

That is so true!!
    Also, In one of the Uni's I#ve been looking at, you can do Law Psychology joint.

Thankyou What would you suggest in replacement of Law?
    (other than maths or english)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeekPervert)
    Yes.
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...uirements.html
    "Applicants are not required to have studied Law at GCSE or A level. Those who have done so tend not to have any special advantage once they begin studying Law at university."

Please show me where it suggests taking law will affect your first year, and where the lecturers have to beat the subject out of you?
    And if you look at LSE's blacklist, you'll find that they will accept people with two traditional subjects in addition to the 'soft' option. They just prefer more traditional subjects because they believe it gives you a better grounding.
    If you look at my previous post I gave my opinion on what you said. You don't need to send me links to stuff I already know.
    Well then check the title of this post and reconsider your replies.

"Though we do not frown upon the taking of Law at A-level, we do not in any way require it or even recommend it."

ReputationRep:
    That is so true!!
    Also, In one of the Uni's I#ve been looking at, you can do Law Psychology joint.

Thankyou What would you suggest in replacement of Law?
    (other than maths or english)
    Anything you think you'd enjoy. A language? Classical Civilisations? Politics? I wouldn't say your 4th option is too important, as long as you know you can manage the course.

ReputationRep:
    English, history, maths, a science, philosophy, maybe psychology, economics, are good ones to pick from. Any ones that are considered "traditional" are fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeekPervert)
    You're welcome.
    When I did law it was via video conference. I'd be given a load of questions for research and I'd have to spend like 6 hours preparing for a one hour seminar the following week. We then were given weekly assignments to reiterate what we learned. Although I assume you'll have a teacher. The only reason I took it was to make sure it's what I wanted to do.
    I took english literature, biology, law and business. Two subjects which top unis dont like, yet I got offers from all of my choices within a few weeks of sending off my ucas. People make too big a deal out of a level choices.
    Good luck with everything.

Oh I see.
    Yes I agree too!
    Thanks a lot for all of your help
    xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Anything you think you'd enjoy. A language? Classical Civilisations? Politics? I wouldn't say your 4th option is too important, as long as you know you can manage the course.

What exactly is classical civilsation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiz)
    English, history, maths, a science, philosophy, maybe psychology, economics, are good ones to pick from. Any ones that are considered "traditional" are fine.

What exactly is philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    maths, history, geography, english lit.
    i think that is the best with 4 subjects that you could have - variety of skills, different areas, comfortable to do all 4 to A2, etc.
    maybe stick economics, physics instead of one maybe.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is classical civilsation?
    The study of Ancient Roman and Greek mythology, literature, life and arts, and also the Roman invasion of Britain, I loved it. :coma:

Not a large work load either, though an essay here and there.

It's an old A level though, not so many places offer it.

ReputationRep:
    Well then check the title of this post and reconsider your replies.

"Though we do not frown upon the taking of Law at A-level, we do not in any way require it or even recommend it."
    I don't need to reconsider, thats what I've been saying.
    A level law is not preferred, however they will accept it alongside other traditional subjects. Your neither at an advantage or disadvantage.
    You're still to show me the authority to have for saying lecturers must reteach everything from a level. I can only assume you ignored me because you have non.
    Please remember that people are looking for advice here and may well make decisions based on what your passing off as fact.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.