Turn on thread page Beta

A-Levels preferred for studying Law in University. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    The study of Ancient Roman and Greek mythology, literature, life and arts, and also the Roman invasion of Britain, I loved it. :coma:

Not a large work load either, though an essay here and there.

It's an old A level though, not so many places offer it.

Ah I see, well I will have to consider it
    I just looked at the college I wan to go to and it has it so that's good
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeekPervert)
    I don't need to reconsider, thats what I've been saying.
    A level law is not preferred, however they will accept it alongside other traditional subjects. Your neither at an advantage or disadvantage.
    You're still to show me the authority to have for saying lecturers must reteach everything from a level. I can only assume you ignored me because you have non.
    Please remember that people are looking for advice here and may well make decisions based on what your passing off as fact.
    'A-Levels preferred for studying Law in University.'
    I'm pointing out that A-level law is NOT PREFERED, you're the one defending it saying it's a neutral subject, even if it is, its not prefered which is what this post is asking for 'prefered subjects' so what is your point?

I'm sure there isn't any tangible reports on A-level law being 'beaten out of students' but it is the general consensus.

It gives students a provisional and basic understanding of central complex themes which is never a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    No university will openly state 'It is best not to apply with Law A-Level' because it would sound slightly unfair and nonsensical to penalise someone from showing a particular interest in the particular profession that they want to take a degree in when they were choosing their A-Levels.

However, Cambridge's website states 'Academic subjects other than Law will generally provide a solid foundation for the course, as well as give a desirable breadth of experience.'

What they are essentially implying is - don't apply to us with Law A-Level - or, if you really must, make sure that you are supplementing it with at least 3 good A-Level subjects.

I think partly it might be because, to take Law A-Level could imply a vocational mind rather than an especially academic mind. Nobody takes Medicine A-Level- they learn the sciences instead.

English / Classics / Philosophy and Mathematics (for logical thinking) / Politics / History would be some good choices I'd say.

I found Maths a very hard subject at A-Level though even though I did well in it at GCSE so it is a risky choice if you are primarily arty.

If you were doing at least 4 A-Levels in total, Art (but only if you are very talented at it) may even be an interesting addition.

I'm not sure about how highly Psychology is regarded (probably not quite as highly as some of the above?) but Sociology doesn't seem to be all that popular in impressing top universities. Nor is General Studies (perhaps because it requires so little workload and is something that is naturally attained through general life and other kinds of studies rather than something that is taught).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    No university will openly state 'It is best not to apply with Law A-Level' because it would sound slightly unfair and nonsensical to penalise someone from showing a particular interest in the particular profession that they want to take a degree in when they were choosing their A-Levels.

However, Cambridge's website states 'Academic subjects other than Law will generally provide a solid foundation for the course, as well as give a desirable breadth of experience.'

What they are essentially implying is - don't apply to us with Law A-Level - or, if you really must, make sure that you are supplementing it with at least 3 good A-Level subjects.

I think partly it might be because, to take Law A-Level could imply a vocational mind rather than an especially academic mind. Nobody takes Medicine A-Level- they learn the sciences instead.

English / Classics / Philosophy and Mathematics (for logical thinking) / Politics / History would be some good choices I'd say.

I found Maths a very hard subject at A-Level though even though I did well in it at GCSE so it is a risky choice if you are primarily arty.

If you were doing at least 4 A-Levels in total, Art (but only if you are very talented at it) may even be an interesting addition.

I'm not sure about how highly Psychology is regarded (probably not quite as highly as some of the above?) but Sociology doesn't seem to be all that popular in impressing top universities. Nor is General Studies (perhaps because it requires so little workload and is something that is naturally attained through general life and other kinds of studies rather than something that is taught).

Yeah, and I agree too, Law isn't that much of a good idea for A-level, although because I am interested in it, I was attracted to it.

I am good at maths too, but like you have said, people have said it is extremely difficult, even if you did achieve high grades at GCSE.

Well, I am doing three A level and one AS.
    And my Alevels are now (after posting this, they have changed)
    History, Psychology and Biology.
    Psychology is something I want to be involved in, in the future too.

And for my AS, I am thinking Law or Philosophy or English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    'A-Levels preferred for studying Law in University.'
    I'm pointing out that A-level law is NOT PREFERED, you're the one defending it saying it's a neutral subject, even if it is, its not prefered which is what this post is asking for 'prefered subjects' so what is your point?

I'm sure there isn't any tangible reports on A-level law being 'beaten out of students' but it is the general consensus.

It gives students a provisional and basic understanding of central complex themes which is never a good thing.
    My 'point' was giving my opinion on your statement and the subject at a level since afterall the OP is asking for advice. :rolleyes: At which point you started the whole blacklisted debate. Like I've said, I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tay594)
    What exactly is philosophy?

I don't personally study it (as an A Level) but looking at my friend's work they seem to do work about egotists and enlightened egotists, why people should co operate and work together. Here is the specification they do (I think) : http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2170-W-SP-10.PDF

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm new here so I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong place.
    Anyway, I'm in year 11 and in the process of choosing my A-levels.
    My ambition is to do a Law Degree and become a Solicitor.

However, I am stuck on what to take for A-level.
    My choices so far are: History, Law, Psychology & Sociology.

I know that Law is not preferred but I honestly don't know what to take and I want to see whether I will enjoy the subject for Uni. But, if I knew something else to take, I wouldn't mind dropping it.

Please could you give me some advice on what to take and whether my choices are suitable?
    Also, I know Uni's like Eng lit but I honestly wouldn't get an A so I don't want to take it.

Help would be very appreciated!

Tay
    I have the same aim as you and when I was choosing my AS's last year i ended up with French, History, Economics and Law.
    I think its important that you have the full facts about A Level Law. Many people will tell you that many universities prefer you not to have it. Actually, only LSE and Cambridge expressly say that it is a not preferred subject, and LSE will still make an offer with Law provided the other two subjects in that offer are 'generally preferred' subjects. So, its not essential that you have it, but its not a major biggy if you are like me and choose to take it to see if you will enjoy it before going to uni.
    History is a good choice (and i love it) and i can't see how sociology would be a drawback in the long run.
    Personally though, i wouldn't take both that and psychology.
    Maybe, as other people have said, a language? Other possibilities could be Maths, Economics (not business), English or maybe Politics?

feel free to pm me if you want to talk about this more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiz)
    I don't personally study it (as an A Level) but looking at my friend's work they seem to do work about egotists and enlightened egotists, why people should co operate and work together. Here is the specification they do (I think) : http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2170-W-SP-10.PDF

Ah I just looked through it.
    It sounds like something I'd like.
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    I think your choices are fine. I took both psychology and sociology and got an offer from Oxford for law! Though, I do think English literature would be quite useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dignity)
    I think your choices are fine. I took both psychology and sociology and got an offer from Oxford for law! Though, I do think English literature would be quite useful.
    Oh really?
    What else did you take?

ReputationRep:
    Oh really, what Uni's did you apply for?
    How did you find psychology and law?
    Yes, I'm not really a creative person anyway that's more my sister!
    I've applied for LSE, Queen Mary, Sussex, Reading and Brighton as my last resort. At at moment I need three A's so there's pressure but anything is possible; I'll probably go for QM. I found both psychology and law awesome, loads of names, cases and dates to remember but I think you'd manage. It really opens up your eyes onto the world, and clearly is good to take as universities I've applied for didn't complain!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well I have actually been thinking about Biology or maths but I'm just quite worried that I wont get the A grade I need. I do like both subjects but I've heard that A level in both of them is incredibly hard! But I don't mind putting in the hard work, I'm just not sure it would pay off anyway.

Thanks for your help!
    You can get an A grade in any subject, you just need to put the work in to get it. I take biology and compared to Chemistry and Physics, it is much easier.

What subjects are you taking? I'm guessing you have some Idea from all these posts what you want to take? It is much easier to help if you have an idea of what other subjects your taking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LP_18)
    I've applied for LSE, Queen Mary, Sussex, Reading and Brighton as my last resort. At at moment I need three A's so there's pressure but anything is possible; I'll probably go for QM. I found both psychology and law awesome, loads of names, cases and dates to remember but I think you'd manage. It really opens up your eyes onto the world, and clearly is good to take as universities I've applied for didn't complain!
    Ah yes
    Well I really want to go to one of the top 10 and nottingham is number 10 but at that one you can do Law with Psychology! So I am really liking that one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndercoverChemist)
    You can get an A grade in any subject, you just need to put the work in to get it. I take biology and compared to Chemistry and Physics, it is much easier.

What subjects are you taking? I'm guessing you have some Idea from all these posts what you want to take? It is much easier to help if you have an idea of what other subjects your taking.

Yeah I totally agree! And that's not a problem because I WILL. I just doubt myself a lot as people tell me.
    Yes haha these posts have given me a total change!

Right now I am thinking: History, Psychology and Biology for A Level.
    And for my fourth for AS.. I am considering either; Law, Government and Politics or Philosophy. I want something I will enjoy but I honestly don't know what I would because History and Psychology are my favorites.

thanks for your help!!

ReputationRep:

Trust me, just go for any respected subjects and you're sorted. My mate got into Cambridge Law doing all the sciences bio/chem/phy/math + an art. so just go for whatever as long as they're respected and rigorous subjects to give you a best shot. Law doesn't have any specific requirements hope that helps. good luck

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes
    Well I really want to go to one of the top 10 and nottingham is number 10 but at that one you can do Law with Psychology! So I am really liking that one!
    Don't just look for uni's that specifically provide a course in 'Law and Psychology' also ask unis if you can pick elective modules as part of the law degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dior-perfume)
    Trust me, just go for any respected subjects and you're sorted. My mate got into Cambridge Law doing all the sciences bio/chem/phy/math + an art. so just go for whatever as long as they're respected and rigorous subjects to give you a best shot. Law doesn't have any specific requirements hope that helps. good luck

Ah thanyou very much

ReputationRep:
    Oh really?
    What else did you take?
    English lit, maths, and history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Don't just look for uni's that specifically provide a course in 'Law and Psychology' also ask unis if you can pick elective modules as part of the law degree.
    Oh god yeah don't worry, I'm not

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I totally agree! And that's not a problem because I WILL. I just doubt myself a lot as people tell me.
    Yes haha these posts have given me a total change!

Right now I am thinking: History, Psychology and Biology for A Level.
    And for my fourth for AS.. I am considering either; Law, Government and Politics or Philosophy. I want something I will enjoy but I honestly don't know what I would because History and Psychology are my favorites.

thanks for your help!!
    If you know you can get A's and know you will work hard then maybe think about taking 4 subjects to A2? As Law is so competitive, that extra subject at A2 could make a lot of difference.

And your welcome, anytime :yep:

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.