The Student Room Group

QMUL vs SOAS

I have received offers from both SOAS and QMUL for Politics and Economics, but am having trouble deciding which one to go to.

Atm, I'm leaning towards QMUL because the social life seems to be better than SOAS. I've heard of so many people dropping out of SOAS because the social life is not amazing, to put it lightly. But then again, both unis are in the middle of London, so I can always find something do. I've been to both unis, and both seem equally friendly in my opinion.

So my dilemma is which one is better, both academically and socially. I plan to live in Halls for my first year at least, so the social life has to be good. And I consider employment prospects to be important, but they seem to be basically the same for both unis according to league tables.

Can someone who goes to either uni tell me what student life is like? And if your doing my course, it would be extra helpful if you could tell me what the course is like as well.

QMUL, though my opinion might be slightly bias. :p:
whilst social life is important, both will be fairly similar as both are in london, actually look at they syallabuses of the two courses, see which appeals to you more, and look at which one you would be happier at for the next 3 years
Reply 3
infernalcradle
whilst social life is important, both will be fairly similar as both are in london, actually look at they syallabuses of the two courses, see which appeals to you more, and look at which one you would be happier at for the next 3 years

I have seen the syllabuses (syllabi?) for both unis, and they seem good. SOAS is obviously more international, but QMUL deals with the principles of the subject. I wouldn't mind studying either.

Which just adds to my dilemma :frown:
elvindork
I have seen the syllabuses (syllabi?) for both unis, and they seem good. SOAS is obviously more international, but QMUL deals with the principles of the subject. I wouldn't mind studying either.

Which just adds to my dilemma :frown:

Then bring it down even further, which university do you like better, which had better oppurtunities, which offers more and above the course, look at societies, clubs the SU...anything and everything
I would have thought the difference would be marginal. :dontknow: Go with your gut feeling after looking into them a bit more.
elvindork
I have received offers from both SOAS and QMUL for Politics and Economics, but am having trouble deciding which one to go to.

Atm, I'm leaning towards QMUL because the social life seems to be better than SOAS. I've heard of so many people dropping out of SOAS because the social life is not amazing, to put it lightly. But then again, both unis are in the middle of London, so I can always find something do. I've been to both unis, and both seem equally friendly in my opinion.

So my dilemma is which one is better, both academically and socially. I plan to live in Halls for my first year at least, so the social life has to be good. And I consider employment prospects to be important, but they seem to be basically the same for both unis according to league tables.

Can someone who goes to either uni tell me what student life is like? And if your doing my course, it would be extra helpful if you could tell me what the course is like as well.

The social life is good at both, but different.
At SOAS, there's a lot of weird stuff, alot of leftys and macrobiotic food festivals and Kurdistan festivals and Parties for Palestine and it's very very political. It's an odd place, where almost everyone smokes weed/does drugs. Take that literally. The halls are jokes though - right on King's Cross road, and they're fun. The union is a disaster though, so bad it's a joke. It's like Hollyoaks bad. It's a grotty bar with overpriced alcohol that's like falling apart. Lots of Orientals from abroad. Lot's of fun. Slightly higher rated academically than QM.

QMUL - great union (well, in comparison. It's a bit commercial and soulless for me). In Mile End (vs Bloomsbury :nothing:), pretty typical campus uni. Erm, not sure what to say, I do Pol at QMUL but spent more time at SOAS last yr, and now I have another friend at SOAS. :dontknow:

Any questions about Pol at QMUL ask me specifically :smile:

There's loads of South Asians at QM and loads of internationals at SOAS.
Reply 7
Bubbles*de*Milo
The social life is good at both, but different.
At SOAS, there's a lot of weird stuff, alot of leftys and macrobiotic food festivals and Kurdistan festivals and Parties for Palestine and it's very very political. It's an odd place, where almost everyone smokes weed/does drugs. Take that literally. The halls are jokes though - right on King's Cross road, and they're fun. The union is a disaster though, so bad it's a joke. It's like Hollyoaks bad. It's a grotty bar with overpriced alcohol that's like falling apart. Lots of Orientals from abroad. Lot's of fun. Slightly higher rated academically than QM.

QMUL - great union (well, in comparison. It's a bit commercial and soulless for me). In Mile End (vs Bloomsbury :nothing:), pretty typical campus uni. Erm, not sure what to say, I do Pol at QMUL but spent more time at SOAS last yr, and now I have another friend at SOAS. :dontknow:

Any questions about Pol at QMUL ask me specifically :smile:

There's loads of South Asians at QM and loads of internationals at SOAS.

Thanks so much for this. I'm gonna look into it a bit more. I still have loads of time to decide. And I'm waiting for LSE to get back to me.
elvindork
Thanks so much for this. I'm gonna look into it a bit more. I still have loads of time to decide. And I'm waiting for LSE to get back to me.

I know quite a bit, half of my FB is QMUL and SOAS people, so just PM me if you have any questions. Also about QM Pol, the structure or course or whatever, I'm pretty knowledgeable. :smile:
SOAS definately, although if you're not a lefty you may have problems.
Reply 10
Hi,
I've got offers from both SOAS and QMUL for LLM which is a post grad course, but I'm soo confused between the two. As far as the rankings go, QMUL has a much better law program (according to the Guardian, but the rankings all seem to contradict themselves) but I'm torn apart as SOAS has a central London location. I'm an international student so I won't get the opportunity to visit either campus, so pls shed some light on the pros and cons of each campus as well as the crowd and course.. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending