Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I rarely wear eyeshadow and normally just wear mascara, but occasionally for nights out I like to do a smokey eye. I bought 4 pots of Barry M Dazzle dust the other day in appropraite colours (one pinkish, one bronze-ish, one mid grey, one dark grey)...could do with getting an actual black) but what is the best way to apply. I could do with a new brush - should I get a MAC one or are there any cheaper ones that are okay. And should I apply wet or dry/use a base/something to seal it at the end. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    get a good primer or base, like urban decays primer potion, prep + primer eye by mac or even a neutral coloured eye shadow pencil thing.
    this'll help keep the shadow in place and make the colour stand out better.
    mac brushes are abit pricey, and are worth it, but theres so many more cheaper versions around that are just as good! gosh cosmetics have some good brushes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cessie)
    I rarely wear eyeshadow and normally just wear mascara, but occasionally for nights out I like to do a smokey eye. I bought 4 pots of Barry M Dazzle dust the other day in appropraite colours (one pinkish, one bronze-ish, one mid grey, one dark grey)...could do with getting an actual black) but what is the best way to apply. I could do with a new brush - should I get a MAC one or are there any cheaper ones that are okay. And should I apply wet or dry/use a base/something to seal it at the end. Thanks!
    I use concealer on my eye as a base but you can use special eye primers. You should really use it under all eyeshadows, not just Barry M, but a primer will make the shadow more intense.

I use an ELF brush (www.eyeslipsface.co.uk) to CAREFULLY pick up some of the powder. Tap the brush to get rid of the excess and apply like regular eyeshadow. You might want to hold a bit of tissue paper under your eye in case you get a bit of fall out.

You could also press the powders into eyeshadows, look on blogs and youtube for instructions on how to do this. It means your Dazzle Dusts are more portable and perhaps a bit easier to use. I'm yet to attempt pressing powders but hopefully I'll start soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cessie)
    At the others have said, a base is essential! I use my concealer usually (Mac Studio Finish). Which brushes you use are dependent on how you're applying the Dazzle Dust. For an all over the eye application, I usually normal eye shadow brush, dip it in lightly, tap off the excess product, and brush it all over the lid, sort of if i was applying powder to my face. There are different brushes you can use, eg for applying a darker shade in your eyelid crease, use a slimmer more precise brush. If you're using 2 or more shades, a blending brush might also prove helpful to get a more smokey look.

I think Dazzle Dusts look amazing when theyre wet, they create a much more intense look especially for night time! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Conceal your eyes and always set with translucent powder - this gives eyeshadow real staying power.
    MAC brushes are excellent, I've heard good things about Bodyshop brushes too.

The key to Dazzle dust is to layer. Tap off as much excess as possible and apply very thin layers of dust. This makes it less likely to end up with colour under your eyes, but you may still benefit from a cotton pad/tissue gently rested under the eye and onto the cheek to avoid any dust falling. Again, layer the colour up, rather than try to whack a thick layer on at once - this is when it'll go all over the place.

Oh, and DD's stain, so be very careful with the pots themselves. They are a NIGHTMARE to get out of fabrics.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.