Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Straight to the point: Which would be better for someone who aspires to city firms ?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty marginal - personally I think Exeter would give you a greater chance at city firms.

When it's a choice between, say, Oxford or Leicester, it tends to matter, but between two unis in the same 'league', employability mostly comes from your degree class/extra-curriculars rather than the uni itself.

Also, afaik it doesn't matter whether you go to the Cornwall/Exeter campus - people from both campuses leave with the same degree from Exeter uni when they graduate.

ReputationRep:
    but then, I don't understand why they have different requirements. For example, M103 in Exeter campus would require 33-36 IB points while in Cornwall 31-34 points. Do you know why?

ReputationRep:
    The way I understand that with Exeter is because the Cornwall Campus simply isn't very popular. Perhaps the facilities available differ too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trungnguyen)
    but then, I don't understand why they have different requirements. For example, M103 in Exeter campus would require 33-36 IB points while in Cornwall 31-34 points. Do you know why?
    The Cornwall campus is in a different county than the main campus (Devon vs. Cornwall). It's a new campus, with a fraction of the students, and in the middle of nowhere. Part of the initiative of building a campus for Cornwall was to help with the lack of HE in the region, and to deal with the poverty somewhat. The main campus is much more popular, and the courses have higher requirements as a consequence to help filter students.

ReputationRep:
    As York;s course is so new and different to traditional courses there is an inherent risk that firms may not buy into it. Saying that when I had my interview there was talk of endorsement from big city firms and it has good links to Leeds which has a competitive legal sector. There is an element also with it being unranked as there are still no graduates of the course but I think it has the potential to be one of the best law schools in the UK and it could be a very exciting and worthwhile project/experiemnt to be apart of. However if you want to take a safer option and go the more traditional route then Exeter CC it would have to be, you get the same degree as the main campus and you are still exclusively an Exeter graduate. I hope you make the right decision for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennybennybenny)
    As York;s course is so new and different to traditional courses there is an inherent risk that firms may not buy into it. Saying that when I had my interview there was talk of endorsement from big city firms and it has good links to Leeds which has a competitive legal sector. There is an element also with it being unranked as there are still no graduates of the course but I think it has the potential to be one of the best law schools in the UK and it could be a very exciting and worthwhile project/experiemnt to be apart of. However if you want to take a safer option and go the more traditional route then Exeter CC it would have to be, you get the same degree as the main campus and you are still exclusively an Exeter graduate. I hope you make the right decision for yourself.
    Hmmm. But say I did go to Exeter, Do you think it's still possible to get into a city firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCount.)
    Hmmm. But say I did go to Exeter, Do you think it's still possible to get into a city firm?
    Of course is it, if you get a first or a strong 2.i and lots of work experience under your belt then you will have a good chance. Its not all about the university but the individual themselves as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCount.)
    Straight to the point: Which would be better for someone who aspires to city firms ?
    Hey,

I am in exactly the same situation as you. I have had a conditional offer from both Exeter Cornwall and York University but i think i'm going to choose Exeter as im a bit hesitant about the new Law programme at York.

Exeter is a very successful University and i'm sure will open many doors for you regarding City firms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamanthaLouise)
    Hey,

I am in exactly the same situation as you. I have had a conditional offer from both Exeter Cornwall and York University but i think i'm going to choose Exeter as im a bit hesitant about the new Law programme at York.

Exeter is a very successful University and i'm sure will open many doors for you regarding City firms.
    Yeah I've decided Exeter is the way forward! Lovely location, if a little quiet. See you there buddy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.