Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how many amino acids are there in prints?
    what are they?
    and what are the main ones?

all help appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Wait, I don't quite understand? Are you asking what proteins make up the skin?

I'm pretty sure fingerprints on objects aren't really individually biological?

Cause frankly I think naming all the amino acids might take some time?

:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)

Firstly no it wouldnt. Theres only 20 amino acids, and they can all be abbreviated to a single letter. But when you touch something and leave a finger print. The print is made of oils but it contains some amino acids I just dont know which ones but I need to find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincenoire)
    Firstly no it wouldnt. Theres only 20 amino acids, and they can all be abbreviated to a single letter. But when you touch something and leave a finger print. The print is made of oils but it contains some amino acids I just dont know which ones but I need to find out
    Then sorry, can't help you :p:

But never knew fingerprint marks contain amino acids....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    I'm sorry what?

EDIT: I have never heard of your fingers secreting an oil containing amino acids. But don't waste your time asking on TSR- just Google it. I Googled "fingerprints amino acids" just now and got several results which would appear to match what you're asking about.

Best link is Wikipedia:

"The resulting latent fingerprints consist usually of a substantial proportion of water with small traces of amino acids, chlorides etc mixed with a fatty, sebaceous component which contains a number of fatty acids, triglycerides etc Detection of the small proportion of reactive organic material such as urea and amino acids is far from easy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerprint

Huh, I never knew that. I'm guessing from that last statement though that they haven't really gone about identifying which specific amino acids are found in fingerprints (can't imagine what use that would be). Seems like it would just be a random mixture though, which would contain all of the amino acids considering how small amino acids are.
    Its got loads of uses. One of which being they can dectect amino acids to prove if the print is fake. And yes it is serpringing easy to fake finger prints but it doesnt leave the acids just the mark. They have identifed them cos my biochem lectures told us a few months ago I just cant remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    I'm sorry what?

EDIT: I have never heard of your fingers secreting an oil containing amino acids. But don't waste your time asking on TSR- just Google it. I Googled "fingerprints amino acids" just now and got several results which would appear to match what you're asking about.

Best link is Wikipedia:

"The resulting latent fingerprints consist usually of a substantial proportion of water with small traces of amino acids, chlorides etc mixed with a fatty, sebaceous component which contains a number of fatty acids, triglycerides etc Detection of the small proportion of reactive organic material such as urea and amino acids is far from easy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerprint

Huh, I never knew that. I'm guessing from that last statement though that they haven't really gone about identifying which specific amino acids are found in fingerprints (can't imagine what use that would be). Seems like it would just be a random mixture though, which would contain all of the amino acids considering how small amino acids are.
    The can use the amino acids to prove if the print is fake or not, as its surprisingly easy to fake prints but the dont leave the amino acids. And they have identifed them cos my biochem lecture told us a few months ago I just cant remember. But im glad how willing you are to belive what wiki says.

ReputationRep:
    Have you asked your course friends?

It's very difficult to answer university questions unless you study that particular topic at degree level (ask me anything about drugs haha )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    Have you asked your course friends?

It's very difficult to answer university questions unless you study that particular topic at degree level (ask me anything about drugs haha )
    I will. Ive got a drugs basied question as well, I was gonna start another thred but since your here. Can you give me some examples of legal highs, their effect on you and do you think they should be made illigal or legal drugs legalaised? Also if you know what meow meow is that would be helpful cos i have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincenoire)
    I will. Ive got a drugs basied question as well, I was gonna start another thred but since your here. Can you give me some examples of legal highs, their effect on you and do you think they should be made illigal or legal drugs legalaised? Also if you know what meow meow is that would be helpful cos i have no idea.
    Meow meow is mephedrone, which is a legal drug.

You sound like you want us to do your work for you but some examples of legal drugs:
    Salvia
    Mephedrone
    Spice
    Baby Woodrose
    Kava

There are scarce papers on some of them but you can find them easy enough of MedLine or something.

I think some illegal drugs should be legalised such as Psilocybin (magic mushrooms) and cannabis because they have very limited ability to cause harm. I can see the reason behind making some 'legal drugs' illegal, but not all of them.

Tbh, I think the best route is to legalise and regulate most drugs. This way you can be sure the drugs are free from more harmful contaminants, you remove a massive source of revenue for criminals and also massively reduce drug-related crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)

You use ninhydrin to detect them, so you look up ninhydrin and it tells you: terminal or lysine residues.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.